Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 09:51 AM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times

Advertisements

I think DC's Air and Space museum is the largest in the world.

Also, has an impressive IMAX theater and unique films which I often like to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 07:47 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
It's probably the biggest and definitely worth seeing if you're into technology and stuff. No disagreement there. I've just been to other museums with cool planes that were less crowded and let you walk right up to all the planes and touch them which you can't really do at the Smithsonian.

Old 02-24-2020, 12:55 PM

246 posts, read 431,572 times
Okay,
I know I can find this information online, but wanted input from those on here.

We only have 4 weeks until we come,
We are driving our personal vehicle.

Is parking easy?
Do you recommend parking at a lot and taking the Metro, or park at each location?

We are going to the National Mall, White House Tour, National Zoo, Holocaust Museum, and Museum of Nat. History.

We do not have any experience with the Metro, can we pay one price and ride all day?

Old 02-24-2020, 01:06 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
A few years ago, we stayed at a hotel in Maryland. They had a free shuttle, which took us to the metro station & picked us up, once we got back. People who were in my group, who had a car, left it at the hotel, & we took the train into DC. Plenty of places near the hotel to eat also. Again, we took the shuttle to restaurants. The White House won't have public parking, we cabbed it from the station ( rainy day)

Old 02-24-2020, 01:21 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
I have no problem finding parking when seeing the sights in DC, and there is metered parking around all of the tourist areas. Some people get frustrated circling the block trying to find a spot, but I've found if you stay on one block for a few minutes, you're more likely to have something open up.

But I don't mind a little inconvenience when it comes to driving. Lord knows I'm not doing public transportation. And I don't want to rely on taxis/ride shares either.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:57 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
I've stayed at the Hyatt Regency Bethesda. They have valet parking. It is a ten minutes straight drive to Washington DC. It also is next to a Metro train stop which is very easy, clean and safe compared the NYC subway. The city bus service is pretty great too.

For the Metro, you buy a prepaid ticket and pay per mile. If you don't have enough on your Metro card, you pay when you exit the system.

https://www.wmata.com/fares/

https://washington.org/navigating-dc-metro

It is a really great deal.

Old 02-28-2020, 02:04 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I have no problem finding parking when seeing the sights in DC, and there is metered parking around all of the tourist areas. Some people get frustrated circling the block trying to find a spot, but I've found if you stay on one block for a few minutes, you're more likely to have something open up.

But I don't mind a little inconvenience when it comes to driving. Lord knows I'm not doing public transportation. And I don't want to rely on taxis/ride shares either.

Those metered spots were removed by ddot 6 mos ago

Old 02-28-2020, 02:11 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM91 View Post
Okay,
I know I can find this information online, but wanted input from those on here.

We only have 4 weeks until we come,
We are driving our personal vehicle.

Is parking easy?
Do you recommend parking at a lot and taking the Metro, or park at each location?

We are going to the National Mall, White House Tour, National Zoo, Holocaust Museum, and Museum of Nat. History.

We do not have any experience with the Metro, can we pay one price and ride all day?
Parking is difficult or outrageously expensive.

Purchase a Smarttrip card put 20 usd on it and use that to see the sights -any Metro Station Manager is supposed to help you if you are confused

Go here to familiarize yourself with wmata (the subway two names are Metro or Wmata)
[url]https://www.wmata.com/schedules/trip-planner/[/url]

If you are going to visit Virginia, Maryland or some parts of the District (examples: Georgetown, Brookland, The National Zoo, Friendship Heights) its easier to drive and park.

You can also phone your Embassy for advice or assistance.

Old 02-28-2020, 02:54 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Those metered spots were removed by ddot 6 mos ago
There are still plenty of metered spots in DC, though the overwhelming majority (if not all) are not individual metered spots, but still require you to pay the unimeter terminal on the block and place the your timed printout in your windshield.

Old 02-29-2020, 07:49 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Parking at the zoo is *really* expensive and also always seems to be packed. Safe the parking fee, and Uber there if you don't want to make that 5-10 minute walk uphill from the Metro stop.

Only major sight where I'd say driving is fine would be Arlington National Cemetery though the Metro stop is like right there too. But especially with Coronavirus it's probably not the worst call to avoid Metro on principle really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: