Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:16 AM

593 posts, read 2,440,827 times

Advertisements

I've been living in DC for 3 months now, and I can't wait to go to a Nats game! Can anyone recommend a good bar or pub for me to check out before a night game?

I'm not interested in a chain or tourist trap, but really looking for more of a "true local" feel. Yes, I know I am not a true local yet, but I'm working on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 08:31 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,167,424 times
Go to 8th & Penn SE (Eastern Market Metro). The corridor is filled with bars. Plus you can walk down (12 minutes) M street to Nats Park.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Go to 8th & Penn SE (Eastern Market Metro). The corridor is filled with bars. Plus you can walk down (12 minutes) M street to Nats Park.
Thanks for the recommendation, DC's Finest.

I just looked up the Eastern Market Metro area on yelp.com, which is an up-and-coming local attractions review site I like. Seems like there are a ton of well-reviewed pubs right in that area.

I'm living near a metro stop so that makes transportation easy too.

Last edited by DCguy03; 04-09-2008 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: URL Displayed incorrectly

Old 04-09-2008, 09:41 AM

6,750 posts, read 6,742,858 times
There will be new ones near the park soon, but for the time being if you metro in to Capital South, Tortilla Coast and Bullfeathers are near that stop as you head towards Nats Park.

Red Loft at the ballpark itself is also a good time.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:07 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,167,424 times
These is correct. That area will be amazing in a few years. I'm going to the game on Saturday and plan to spend some time at Red Loft. Great views!

Old 04-09-2008, 06:56 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,244,203 times
Looking forward to going to Nationals Park myself; I'm going for the first time tomorrow (Thursday). Of course, when your job is located at the same Metro station as the ballpark, it makes it easier to get there.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:34 PM

I won a pair of Nationals tickets last week at work and all of your recommendations came in handy! Their home field is such a nice ballpark, and you are allowed to bring in a sealed soda, water, or juice bottle, as well as a sealed bag of your own snacks.

Keep that in mind and you will save a fortune. (no $5 hot dogs for me!)

Old 04-17-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCguy03 View Post
I won a pair of Nationals tickets last week at work and all of your recommendations came in handy! Their home field is such a nice ballpark, and you are allowed to bring in a sealed soda, water, or juice bottle, as well as a sealed bag of your own snacks.

Keep that in mind and you will save a fortune. (no $5 hot dogs for me!)
Actually, you can bring in unlimited food, but you can only bring in ONE bottle of WATER (1 liter maximum size) into Nationals Park. (This rule is actually similar to what they had at RFK Stadium, except I think you could bring in multiple bottles of water.) You cannot bring in soda or juice, even in plastic or paper box containers.

I'm not a bar guy, and my suggestion is a chain (albeit a DC area-based one), but one place that may be worth eating at before the game is Five Guys. They have very good hamburgers and their regular order of fries is massive (you can take whatever you don't eat into the park with you). Five Guys also has free peanuts. There is a Five Guys located near the EAST end of the Navy Yard Metro station (Nationals Park is closer to the west end of the station); to get there cross the street in front of you at the top of the escalator (New Jersey Avenue SE; there is a CVS there), and walk around to the back side of the building with the CVS, to 2nd Street SE (nearly parallel to NJ Ave.) There is also a Subway next door, and my vendor I go to sometimes at work stays out prior to Nationals games and is stationed just down the street (M Street) at 3rd Street SE. She has fairly good half-smokes and she's cheap too (at least when I stop by at lunch time while at work).

Old 04-17-2008, 09:05 PM

Let me add there is a decent number of restaurants/bars all along 8th Street SE between Pennsylvania Avenue and M Street. I'd guess the distance from 8th & M Streets SE to the ballpark is close to 1 mile.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:44 PM

Wow, you can bring unlimited food into the Nationals ballpark? That makes me want to go to games much more often.

I've heard great things about Five Guys, but I haven't made it there yet - sounds like a good project for this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC