Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2008, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 8,163 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to D.C. area. My husband has a job in downtown D.C.and would like to take easy public trasportation. Preferably the metro. I have a great job opportunity in Alexandria near Belle Haven Country Club. We have two children 2.5 and 8 weeks and I have been reading that the public schools are not very good. Are there areas of Alexandria where the public schools are good?I am trying to limit my commute to less than 20 minutes by car and am hesitant to commit myself to a job in an area we will not want to live.

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 05:26 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth MacDonald View Post
We are relocating to D.C. area. My husband has a job in downtown D.C.and would like to take easy public trasportation. Preferably the metro. I have a great job opportunity in Alexandria near Belle Haven Country Club. We have two children 2.5 and 8 weeks and I have been reading that the public schools are not very good. Are there areas of Alexandria where the public schools are good?I am trying to limit my commute to less than 20 minutes by car and am hesitant to commit myself to a job in an area we will not want to live.

Thanks for any advice.
I attended Alexandria public schools for HS and in my opinion, the system is an average public school system. The main problem is that having Arlington and Fairfax schools surrounding would make any other wise decent system look horrible in comparison. For ele. schools i'd recommend Polk, MacArthur, Barrett, and Lyles-Crouch these are the schools with the better reputations in Alexandria City. Defintely avoid Jefferson-Houston.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:40 AM

798 posts, read 2,728,123 times
I am not sure where Belle Haven Country club is located but perhaps Alexandria in Fairfax County might be worth looking into. The Kingstowne and Island Creek areas are very close to the metro and the schools might be a better option for you.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:43 AM

847 posts, read 3,353,483 times
Belle Haven Country Club is just south of Old Town off of Ft Hunt Rd (between Rt 1 and the river).

There's a lot of nice housing around there, and a lot of it is just at the age that it is turning over to young families. There's a good amount of diversity in the price ranges that the housing in that area goes for since different neighborhoods were developed at different times, with different sizes of house, etc. There's even a neat historic neighborhood of mid-century modern houses in the woods off of Ft Hunt really close to there. There's a biking/walking trail along the river, and the Parkway is one of the prettier major roads in the whole DC area I think -- not a bad way to start the day.

The schools situation around there is kind of odd. I think I already gave you GreatSchools.net to look at, didn't I? The test scores don't look the best for some reason, but when my husband and I went to school around there, the schools used "tracking" to put the smarter kids together in their own classes, so as long as you got placed in the right track, you could get a pretty good education (except in Middle School. Carl Sandburg was awful when I went, but then they low-tracked me my first year there. Middle schools in general tend to be dumping grounds for bad teachers, etc. in every school district in the country I think).

West Potomac High School is huge, and hugely diverse, and it's a little harder to keep high school kids separated because kids that age will choose whatever friends you don't want them to have, and there's really nothing you can do about it. When my husband was there 15 years ago, there were the normal fights and annual shooting you almost expect at a high school nowadays. I've heard from my in-laws who have had kids in there more recently that the violence has gotten worse because of the gangs. So there are gang problems at that school, but the gangs mostly harass ethnic kids. There are also (or were when my husband went) really rich (mostly white) kids driving themselves to school in cars that are still and will forever be too rich for my blood. So it's a mixed bag of weird competing influences.

There are private schools around too. And a competitive magnet high school (take a test, write an essay) called Thomas Jefferson H.S. for Science and Tech that your kids would be eligible to apply to from there or anywhere in Fairfax County. That's where I went. There was exactly one punch thrown between students the whole time I was there, and it happened off of school grounds. Kids skipped class to study for other classes. The place was way too steeped in silly educational fads when I was there (smooshed english and history classes together into an amorphous nothing called "humanities" where we didn't even learn, say, how to write a good essay, for example) But the kids there were high-achieving and wholesome, which is about the best you can hope for.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:47 AM

847 posts, read 3,353,483 times
Here's a searchable crime map of the whole DC area. It's really neat. The Belle Haven area looks pretty good, once you get off Rt 1. Just scroll south a little bit from Alexandria City (highlighted in pink).

Crime in Alexandria City, VA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC