Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 11:02 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
The demographics are definitely changing. DC is 46% Black and 46% White, with Latino, Asian, etc, making up the remainder according to the US Census Bureau. However, DC Health Matters says the demographics are 44.53% Black and 41.95% White. At the end of the day, there are about 20,000 more Blacks than Whites in DC. Who knows which one is accurate?! In 2010, the Black population made up 50.7% of DC and the White population was 45.1%. The Latino population has increased from 9.1% in 2010 to 11.3%. The Asian population sits at 4.5% compared to 3.5% in 2010. This isn't surprising to see as the Latino population has been growing robustly for a long time nationwide. Also, with gentrification, you're going to have fewer Blacks. I hate to say it but its true. From 2000-2017, the Black population grew substantially in DC. DC was mostly Black from 1800-1970. In the 70's and 80's, the Black population was only about 1/4 of the entire population. It was at its peak in the 1920's. I think we're going to start to see a reduction in the Black population but it will take a long time before we see such a low percentage that we saw in the 70's and 80's. I'm all for gentrification. At the end of the day, I like to see DC where it is and where its going. Sure, it sucks people are getting pushed out of where they grew up but are they doing anything to better themselves or their community to really add any value? Not usually. Lots are unemployed, have no interest in education, and would rather just sit around, collect a check, and smoke weed all day.
DC’s African American population is rising. The raw number is growing. The only thing changing is the percentage compared to the rest of the city which isn’t a reflection of growth. The young African American professionals moving into the city are making at or above the median income in the D.C. area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2020, 06:45 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgrrl View Post
The OP asked about upper class blacks in DC. Why'd you feel the need to compare ONLY to whites? Race baiting much?
Because whites are by far the dominant racial group in America and as such, they are the statistical standard by which other racial/ethnic groups are compared. Furthermore whites and blacks are the nation's two legacy racial groups with extensive histories that predate the founding of the nation and that also serves as a common basis of comparison for the two groups exclusively. This doesn't at all constitute race-baiting in the least; it's simply standard practice.

Old 12-26-2020, 06:52 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,629,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgrrl View Post
The OP asked about upper class blacks in DC. Why'd you feel the need to compare ONLY to whites? Race baiting much?
Because that seems to be the major comparison people make. Why do I need to include everybody? I just didn't. Get over it. Most Black people I know are always comparing Blacks and Whites so that's what I included.

Old 12-26-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
DC’s African American population is rising. The raw number is growing. The only thing changing is the percentage compared to the rest of the city which isn’t a reflection of growth. The young African American professionals moving into the city are making at or above the median income in the D.C. area.
The overall population has grown exponentially during the past decade and the percentage of the black population has decreased. Not saying young Black people who are making coin aren't moving into the city but I don't think it's a ton. If you take the approximate population of 705,000 people in DC now and multiply it by 45% you get 317,250 Black people. The population in 2010 was around 600,000 and the Black population made up about 51% of the population so you had 306,000 Blacks in DC back then. So yes, as a raw number, the Black population has increased by 11,250 during the past decade. That's 1,125 per year of new Black resident growth over the past decade. Do the same math for Whites, Latinos, and Asians. Black people aren't moving to DC in droves. I think you'll see much higher growth rates for other races. Also, Blacks have the lowest average household income in DC compared to all other races. As a whole, that doesn't bode well for a city that is gentrifying and where the overall median income is twice as much overall compared to Black household income in DC. There were 231,000 White residents in 2010 in DC. There are 280,000 now. That's an increase of 4,900 White people per year which blows away 1,125. A 21% increase in the White population compared to a 4% increase in the Black population is a huge difference. That's more in line with the overall population growth of 19% DC has seen the past decade. The Black population, indeed, is shrinking compared to the overall population trend. I'm not including other races in the post merely because they make up a very small percentage of the DC population. I'm comparing the two races that make up the vast majority of the city.

However, since Musicgrl is overly sensitive, the Asian population is 4.5% of DC so there are 31,725 Asians in DC. DC is made up of 11.3% Latino or 79,665. There has been a 51% increase in Asian population growth and 46% growth for Latinos over the past decade which is far greater than Black and White but these races only make up 15.8% of the entire DC population and both these races have higher average incomes than Black households. The OP is asking about wealthy Blacks moving in. I'm sure there are, but an addition of 1,125 Black residents into DC per year doesn't add up to very many. Perhaps a few hundred at the most.

Last edited by RLCMA; 12-26-2020 at 07:30 AM..

Old 12-26-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
The overall population has grown exponentially during the past decade and the percentage of the black population has decreased. Not saying young Black people who are making coin aren't moving into the city but I don't think it's a ton. If you take the approximate population of 705,000 people in DC now and multiply it by 45% you get 317,250 Black people. The population in 2010 was around 600,000 and the Black population made up about 51% of the population so you had 306,000 Blacks in DC back then. So yes, as a raw number, the Black population has increased by 11,250 during the past decade. That's 1,125 per year of new Black resident growth over the past decade. Do the same math for Whites, Latinos, and Asians. Black people aren't moving to DC in droves. I think you'll see much higher growth rates for other races. Also, Blacks have the lowest average household income in DC compared to all other races. As a whole, that doesn't bode well for a city that is gentrifying and where the overall median income is twice as much overall compared to Black household income in DC. There were 231,000 White residents in 2010 in DC. There are 280,000 now. That's an increase of 4,900 White people per year which blows away 1,125. A 21% increase in the White population compared to a 4% increase in the Black population is a huge difference. That's more in line with the overall population growth of 19% DC has seen the past decade. The Black population, indeed, is shrinking compared to the overall population trend. I'm not including other races in the post merely because they make up a very small percentage of the DC population. I'm comparing the two races that make up the vast majority of the city.

However, since Musicgrl is overly sensitive, the Asian population is 4.5% of DC so there are 31,725 Asians in DC. DC is made up of 11.3% Latino or 79,665. There has been a 51% increase in Asian population growth and 46% growth for Latinos over the past decade which is far greater than Black and White but these races only make up 15.8% of the entire DC population and both these races have higher average incomes than Black households. The OP is asking about wealthy Blacks moving in. I'm sure there are, but an addition of 1,125 Black residents into DC per year doesn't add up to very many. Perhaps a few hundred at the most.
We can keep this at elementary school math level. Whether we’re talking about asian, white, black, or hispanic people, a loss or a gain is cut and dry. If you add people you’re growing, if you lose people, you’re shrinking. I don’t know if you made an honest mistake above or not, but this is math. Percentages are insignificant and always require context. Gains/loss do not require explanation.

Simple math problem for you:

There are 100,000 black people and 100,000 white people living in a city with no other races. The next year, 50,000 white people decide to move away and no additional whites people move into the city during this time. That same year, 25,000 black people decide to move away. During the same year, no additional black people decide to move into the city. There are still no asian or hispanic people living in this city.

1. Which race is growing in this city?
2. Which race is shrinking in this city?
3. Which race increased its population percentage?
4. Which race decreased its population percentage?

I think after you answer these questions above, you’ll find that percentages always require context and have absolutely nothing to do with gaining or losing.

FYI, young black professionals are the ones purchasing the homes in Ward 7 and Ward 8 which is experiencing higher gentrification than anywhere else in the city. I think the problem here is that you don’t know the definition of gentrification. It has nothing to do with race. It’s about income and the increase in home prices. Black people are gentrifying Ward 7 and Ward 8, not white people. Black people are the ones buying the houses in that part of the city for $400,000-$1,000,000.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 12-26-2020 at 08:04 AM..

Old 12-26-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
We can keep this at elementary school math level. Whether we’re talking about asian, white, black, or hispanic people, a loss or a gain is cut and dry. If you add people you’re growing, if you lose people, you’re shrinking. I don’t know if you made an honest mistake above or not, but this is math. Percentages are insignificant and always require context. Gains/loss do not require explanation.

Simple math problem for you:

There are 100,000 black people and 100,000 white people living in a city with no other races. The next year, 50,000 white people decide to move away and no additional whites people move into the city during this time. That same year, 25,000 black people decide to move away. During the same year, no additional black people decide to move into the city. There are still no asian or hispanic people living in this city.

1. Which race is growing in this city?
2. Which race is shrinking in this city?
3. Which race increased its population percentage?
4. Which race decreased its population percentage?

I think after you answer these questions above, you’ll find that percentages always require context and have absolutely nothing to do with gaining or losing.

FYI, young black professionals are the ones purchasing the homes in Ward 7 and Ward 8 which is experiencing higher gentrification than anywhere else in the city. I think the problem here is that you don’t know the definition of gentrification. It has nothing to do with race. It’s about income and the increase in home prices. Black people are gentrifying Ward 7 and Ward 8, not white people. Black people are the ones buying the houses in that part of the city for $400,000-$1,000,000.
I understand gentrification and simple math, thanks. As I explained, there is growth across all races in DC, but Blacks have the lowest growth rate over the past decade and no longer make up 50%+ of the population in DC anymore. On average, the growth in the Black population is minimal. While there is growth, its minimal. I don't think you can say all of Ward 7 and 8 are Black homebuyers. That's absurd. Other races will, and have, bought in predominantly Black neighborhoods that are gentrifying, or are next to areas, that are gentrifying. Isn't that what DC has been all about the past 20 years for the most part? Navy Yard gentrified, and smart buyers were buying in Anacostia. As Anacostia continues to gentrify, people will buy in neighboring areas to save money on a property and will reap the rapid increase in their properties over the next decade and beyond. Of the additional 1,125 Black people moving into DC each year, I find it hard to believe they're all bringing high incomes and buying up Ward 7 and 8. The average Black household income is still the lowest in DC, no matter how you look at it. With average property values of 600k in DC, I find it very hard to believe the Black population, with an average household income of 46k, is a leading factor regarding gentrification in DC.

Last edited by RLCMA; 12-26-2020 at 08:23 AM..

Old 12-26-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I understand gentrification and simple math, thanks. As I explained, there is growth across all races in DC, but Blacks have the lowest growth rate over the past decade and no longer make up 50%+ of the population in DC anymore. On average, the growth in the Black population is minimal. While there is growth, its minimal. I don't think you can say all of Ward 7 and 8 are Black homebuyers. That's absurd. Other races will, and have, bought in predominantly Black neighborhoods that are gentrifying, or are next to areas, that are gentrifying. Isn't that what DC has been all about the past 20 years for the most part?
You clearly still don’t understand this concept if you’re still referencing percentages. Did you answer the questions above? If you did, you’ll see that both the white and black population experienced massive population loss; however, the black population percentage increased substantially while the white population percentage decreased substantially. Again, gains/loses never require context. Percentages always require context. Percentages can’t stand alone as a variable. They require details and a story.

Providing an analysis of growth also requires context. Growth rate is a reflection of the total population being compared. You need data to make an accurate comparison. Is the growth adults or births for example. You can’t make comparisons without data.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 12-26-2020 at 08:45 AM..

Old 12-26-2020, 08:31 AM

Growth 2010-2020:

Overall: 105,000 (addition of 10,500 per year). 17.5% increase.

Black: 11,250 (addition of 1,125 per year). 4.4% increase.

White: 49,000 (addition of 4,900 per year). 21.2% increase.

Of all the growth in DC annually over the past decade, only 10.7% has been due to the addition of Blacks moving into the city. All other races make up the difference.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
You clearly still don’t understand this concept if you’re still referencing percentages. Did you answer the questions above? If you did, you’ll see that both the white and black population experienced massive population loss; however, the black population percentage increased substantially while the white population percentage decreased substantially. Again, gains/loses never require context. Percentages always require context. Percentages can’t stand alone as a variable. They require details and a story.

Providing an analysis of growth also requires context. Growth rate is a reflective of the total population being compared. You need data to make an accurate comparison. Is the growth adults or births for example. You can’t make comparisons without data.
As you said, its simple math. In raw numbers, you just take 2020 numbers and subtract 2010 numbers. There are both of more races in DC today than in 2010. However, the percentage of the Black population compared to the total is less now than 10 years ago.

I'll just entertain and say, sure, against actual facts, the Black population is DC has swelled and the White population has decreased. All the gentrification in DC is due to the wealthy Blacks that don't seem to exist according to US Census data. If you look at my numbers, there is nothing but context. You seem to know something no one else in the world does.

Real simple context here: %difference is this

New figure-previous figure/previous figure. There's your context and what anyone uses to compare differences in values, hence context.

Last edited by RLCMA; 12-26-2020 at 08:43 AM..

Old 12-26-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
As you said, its simple math. In raw numbers, you just take 2020 numbers and subtract 2010 numbers. There are both of more races in DC today than in 2010. However, the percentage of the Black population compared to the total is less now than 10 years ago.

I'll just entertain and say, sure, against actual facts, the Black population is DC has swelled and the White population has decreased. All the gentrification in DC is due to the wealthy Blacks that don't seem to exist according to US Census data. If you look at my numbers, there is nothing but context. You seem to know something no one else in the world does.

Real simple context here: %difference is this

New figure-previous figure/previous figure. There's your context and what anyone uses to compare differences in values, hence context.
That’s not what I’m asking. Is the majority growth from people moving into the city or natural growth through death/births?

Also, I’m saying that wealthy people from all races are moving into the city. White people are moving at a higher rate though. The real question is the definition of droves. It’s subjective and not compared to any other race. It’s only based on the neighborhood it’s impacting.

Just an FYI, DC as a region is not really adding white people anywhere in large numbers. Hispanic and black people have higher growth rates than white in the metropolitan area. Since the city will always be the center of the region where people congregate, black people will always be everywhere in the city whether they live there or not just like people walking around Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: