Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:37 PM

59 posts, read 238,125 times

Advertisements

Hello

I am a young african american female that is looking to move to the DC area. I have already posted a thread in the Maryland forum and I am trying to compare which would be a better choice MD or DC. My number one priority is safety I am from the Bronx so I am no stranger to crime but its alittle different when you are born somewhere and know the area and when your trying to relocate some place new and don't really know the area or the people. I really dont want to spend too much on rent my max would be $850-900. I know that might not buy much in DC but since its just me I would consider a studio apartment. I also would like to live in or by an area that has alot to do bars restaurants etc. If anyone can give me any advice on what areas if any would be suitable for me I would really appreciate it.Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 07:17 AM

263 posts, read 1,132,256 times
u might be living in the ghetto unless u want to pay more

avoid places that end in "heights" or "hills"

Old 05-24-2008, 07:23 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Hey, and hope you find something suitable here. It'll be a little tough on that money, though. In town areas that would get you close to some night life without paying Georgetown, Dupont Circle, Gallery Place, or Capitol Hill prices for it would most likely be those near the U Street Corridor (basically U Street between 9th and 16th, NW). Shaw, Columbia Heights, Meridian Hill, Ledroit Park...that sort of area. Most of this area was hopelessly depressed for a decade or two after the 1968 riots, but has been coming back very nicely more recently, especially since the Metro Green and Yellow lines opened in the late 90's. DC USA -- a large commercial block (Target, Best Buy, etc) -- opened this Spring in Columbia Heights, giving the area a nice boost. There is some definitely high-priced housing in these areas today, but there are still bargains to be had as well, so it might be worth looking into...

Oh, and as long as we're into sweeping generalizations, you can always disregard advice from people named Chip...

Old 05-24-2008, 08:00 PM

59 posts, read 238,125 times
Well thanks for the replies. I will defintely look into those areas like i said im no stranger to crime and i know no place is completely safe i just dont want to be duckin bullets or lookin over my shoulders everytime i walk out of the door. I look forward to any other responses i may receive. Thanks

Old 05-25-2008, 07:18 AM

^^^ move to a city that has hills or height in it and see how much crime is around you (oxon hill, capital heights, etc)

the amount u want to pay u will see crime, you are going to have to increase them in order to live better because DC metro area is ranked high in robberies and carjackings

Old 05-25-2008, 07:21 AM

There aren't so many areas left in DC where you can find wanton crime going on anymore, and you'd pretty much be able to recognize those if you were in them at any hour of the day. There are some such areas in PG County also, but fewer there all the time as well. The biggest obstacle in either jurisdiction (or any in the DC area) will be the budget. If it's feasible for you, you might want to consider either finding a roommate or looking into some Roommate-Wanted ads. At least to start out with. Being able to split things two ways would greatly expand the menu of realistic choices in DC and no doubt in MD also...

Old 05-25-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip1980 View Post
^^^ move to a city that has hills or height in it and see how much crime is around you (oxon hill, capital heights, etc) the amount u want to pay u will see crime, you are going to have to increase them in order to live better because DC metro area is ranked high in robberies and carjackings
Neither Oxon Hill nor Capital Heights is in the District. How awful would you say the crime rates are in National Harbor, which of course is in Oxon Hill? Soon, you'll be able to take the new streetcar line from there into DC. Nice.

Meanwhile, robbery and auto-theft rates in DC are about the same as in other major cities such as Atlanta or Memphis. But these particular categories are the exceptions. Other categories of crime occur at rates that are so far below average as to put DC well into the second division among the roughly 100 US cities with a population of 200K or more in terms of both overall and non-violent crime. Puts us more in league with places like Honolulu and rather better than places like Colorado Springs...

Old 05-25-2008, 06:44 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,219,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxchick View Post
Hello

I am a young african american female that is looking to move to the DC area. I have already posted a thread in the Maryland forum and I am trying to compare which would be a better choice MD or DC. My number one priority is safety I am from the Bronx so I am no stranger to crime but its alittle different when you are born somewhere and know the area and when your trying to relocate some place new and don't really know the area or the people. I really dont want to spend too much on rent my max would be $850-900. I know that might not buy much in DC but since its just me I would consider a studio apartment. I also would like to live in or by an area that has alot to do bars restaurants etc. If anyone can give me any advice on what areas if any would be suitable for me I would really appreciate it.Thanks

PG county is good outer beltway. You'll find college educated AA's doing well that you can network with and build relationships...NW DC is another good choice around Ust....I would live in the city..much more to do and move out to the burbs when I turn 50...

Old 05-26-2008, 06:51 PM

Default dddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Neither Oxon Hill nor Capital Heights is in the District. How awful would you say the crime rates are in National Harbor, which of course is in Oxon Hill? Soon, you'll be able to take the new streetcar line from there into DC. Nice.

Meanwhile, robbery and auto-theft rates in DC are about the same as in other major cities such as Atlanta or Memphis. But these particular categories are the exceptions. Other categories of crime occur at rates that are so far below average as to put DC well into the second division among the roughly 100 US cities with a population of 200K or more in terms of both overall and non-violent crime. Puts us more in league with places like Honolulu and rather better than places like Colorado Springs...

Please. The National Harbor doesnt even recognize the Oxon Hill or PG County. Thats why they have their own zip code and choose not to use the zip code that was already in Oxon Hill. We all know DC has crime all over the place. According the FBI Crime Report, DC isnt has safe as you made it out to be... Tell the truth to these people and stop trying to make up a false story about DC being so safe...

---------------Murders--------Robbery------- Car Theft
Washington DC 169----------- 3604---------- 7057

Atlanta -------110 -----------2959 ----------5878

Memphis------ 147 -----------5311---------- 6719

Tell the people the truth, saying DC crime rate is the same as Hawaii is crazy....LOL

Old 05-26-2008, 09:03 PM

Is National Harbor located in Oxon Hill or not? Simple question. Here's another one. Don't you think you should have adjusted the raw data for population differences? There is a reason why crime statistics are reported as incidents per 100K of population. I suspect that you just like to tell crime stories, and twenty years ago you would have been right. Today, you aren't. Recent overall crime rates in DC have barely reached as much as the median for cities with a population of 200K or more. For non-violent crime (which is what creates nearly 90% of all crime victims), DC has been well below that national median. Those are the facts. In 2005, DC had 4,577 non-violent crimes per 100K of population. Honolulu had 4,665. Those are the facts as well...

Last edited by saganista; 05-26-2008 at 09:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC