Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 02:30 AM

160 posts, read 432,657 times

Advertisements

Hello

I will be attending a 90 day training session in the Rosslyn, VA area in another month or two. The Rosslyn Metro stop is one block from my school.

My wife, 35 yrs old, and my two kids, 3 yrs and 1 yr, will come with me.

I will attempt to stay at the Marriott Execustay apartments, shown here

Arlington Corporate Apartments from Marriott ExecuStay

With that said, what is recommended place to stay, for:

1. Parks, kids, etc things to do, with easy access to a mom with young kids?

2. I would like somewhere that other families are living, not people who snicker at a baby stroller on the elevator.

3. Grocery store nearby

4. 15 minute subway ride or even 15 minute WALK or less from my school in Rosslyn

5. Etc

THANKS EVERYBODY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 05:17 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,931,482 times
I couldn't get your link to work, so not sure where this Marriot is located.
There is a wonderful playground in McLean, about 15 minutes from Rosslyn, called Clemyjontri. Clemyjontri Park, Clemy Park, Fairfax County Park Authority The carousel rides are free during the week. Your kids are the perfect age for this playground, which was designed to be used both by disabled and non-disabled children.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:13 AM

593 posts, read 2,442,120 times
There is a Safeway in Rosslyn about 3 blocks from the execustay that you would be at. It's not the greatest, but there is a Whole Foods just up Clarendon Blvd that you could easily bike to or take the metro 2 stops.

Overall I'd say Rosslyn is a very safe area - not exactly family-friendly, but certainly family-safe. I say this b/c Rosslyn is mostly office buildings, and not much of any retail stores/playgrounds. Your wife and kids will feel very comfortable walking around outside here, though, and the Court House and Clarendon neighborhoods will be easy for them to get to.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:53 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,110,294 times
Clemyjontri is great for small children. Here are two suggestions close to you:

Hayes Park: Has a sprinkler in the summer Arlington County - Hayes Park Details

Chestnut Hills Park: Has a sandbox
Arlington County - Chestnut Hills Park Details

Old 06-10-2008, 04:20 PM

209 posts, read 985,575 times
Most of metro-accessible Arlington is dominated by single people. That doesn't mean that they'll look down on you for having a stroller, not at all. But it has a post-college feel.

There are parks and playgrounds all over Arlington. I don't know why you'd drive to Mclean for that. Also Georgetown is right across the bridge, it's an easy and pleasant walk. Rosslyn itself is really a business district but there are some restaurants and it's close to Clarendon and Courthouse, which are more happening areas.

I think you'll do fine anywhere in Arlington honestly.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:41 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,931,482 times
There are parks and playgrounds all over Arlington. I don't know why you'd drive to Mclean for that.

Because Clemyjontri is the most amazing and largest playground I've ever seen.
And with three boys, I've seen a lot of them over the past 17 years. This is hands down the best one. Definitely worth the short drive.
Chestnut Hills is also good, but when I was spending hours every week there, most people called it the "Harrison Street" playground.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:08 PM

73 posts, read 299,494 times
Many of the apartment buildings in the area will give you a 3 month lease. You or they can make arrangements to rent furniture. Much cheaper than Marriott. Another possibility is Oakwood Suites. They have a place right in Rosslyn. Also check out craigslist - there are always short term rentals available.

Good luck...

Old 06-23-2008, 05:04 PM

948 posts, read 3,360,259 times
Default My input

Mom with kids chiming in here. Your link showed two possibilities for Marriott. I would chose the Clarendon location. You will be able to take the metro, via orange line, from Clarendon to Rosslyn in 10 minutes depending on time of day. Chosing the Clarendon location would give your wife the ability to access 3 parks that I know. One has a spray area water feature. It's Lyon Village Park. The other, Key school, near the courthouse metro has a large playground, and then there's a smaller park outside the Clarendon Commons. Personally, I'm not crazy about Rosslyn as a mom. Traffic is more congested there as well as the businesses--it all makes for a trickier route to navigate with a stroller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpritjr View Post
Hello

I will be attending a 90 day training session in the Rosslyn, VA area in another month or two. The Rosslyn Metro stop is one block from my school.

My wife, 35 yrs old, and my two kids, 3 yrs and 1 yr, will come with me.

I will attempt to stay at the Marriott Execustay apartments, shown here

Arlington Corporate Apartments from Marriott ExecuStay

With that said, what is recommended place to stay, for:

1. Parks, kids, etc things to do, with easy access to a mom with young kids?

2. I would like somewhere that other families are living, not people who snicker at a baby stroller on the elevator.

3. Grocery store nearby

4. 15 minute subway ride or even 15 minute WALK or less from my school in Rosslyn

5. Etc

THANKS EVERYBODY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC