Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 13,281 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the Foggy Bottom area of DC, and am curious about some of the NE neigbhorhoods. Specifically, can anyone tell me about Woodridge and Brentwood? How much violent crime is there? How do they compare to Brookland?

Are there are specific blocks in any of those 3 neigbhorhoods that are particularly troublesome (i.e. gangs, shootings, etc.)? I've heard that the southern edge of Brookland, around Rhode Island Ave. isn't that nice, but the rest of it is. I'd love to get specfic blocks in the 3 neigbhorhoods to watch out for (if any).

Thanks,
Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 08:47 AM

228 posts, read 920,498 times
Nobody has gotten back to you on this, so I'll give it a shot... Brentwood is over by the Giant/Home Depot right? I've never thought this was a very attractive or safe area. Just no real reason to live there. I drive through Woodridge some days. It seems quiet and well-tended. I don' t hear about a lot of crime there. But again, there's not much to do there... no shopping, dining, metro, etc. But if you just want a bungalow and a convenient bus line to work, maybe its ok. Across the border Mt Rainier seems to have a little life to it - it's got a food coop and a new cafe. I'd like to hear other people's opinons on that area 'cause it seems interesting.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:23 AM

60 posts, read 449,469 times
Hey there,

What exactly are you looking to do? Rent or buy? I live North of there in NE by Fort Totten, and it is a lovely neighborhood to buy or rent in, though there are not too many rentals. I would lean towards Brookland, Woodridge, Queens Chapel, North Michigan Park (which is where I am), or Michigan Park before I would look at Brentwood. I don't know why and do not have any specifics, but it just doesn't strike me as nearly as nice as the other neighborhoods mentioned.

Mt. Rainier, as stated, is not a bad option either. Or Hyattsville.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:03 PM

23 posts, read 75,972 times
I wouldn't live in Brentwood. Doesn't feel as safe as Brookland. Woodridge is similar to Brookland but with fewer amenities and not close to metro.

Brentwood feels more grungy to me than either of the other choices.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:07 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times
OK, what is up with people bringing up all of these old Brookland threads?

Old 02-27-2010, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 5,160 times
Default Brentwood underrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDoula View Post
I wouldn't live in Brentwood. Doesn't feel as safe as Brookland. Woodridge is similar to Brookland but with fewer amenities and not close to metro.

Brentwood feels more grungy to me than either of the other choices.
I'm always surprised to see the negative posts on Brentwood. Georgetown it is not, but it's a decent neighborhood close to the metro and is full of families that, while not wealthy relative to other dc neighborhoods, care about their property and neighbors. As a white professional woman I feel pretty safe for living in the city, even more than when I lived on the Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC