Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 03:41 PM

999 posts, read 2,011,560 times

Advertisements

Holy crap! You would be the dream girlfriend in my world. I am a frugal guy who likes the simple life.

btw...I really dig astronomy. Why can't there be women in DC like you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3ronika View Post
I'm pretty sure I could live well in DC on 60K. I don't have a child, so there's a lot of expense I don't have to think about. Other than that, I'm not interested in having the newest gadgets and crap that gets advertised on TV so... that makes me a cheap date! I'm a runner - which means a lot of time spent enjoying the outside and the only thing you need is new sneakers every coupla months. I like to read and there's nothing cheaper than used books and the library. I also write - that costs nothing. I do want to buy a telescope - I figure a $600 one will keep me busy for years so thats a pretty good one time cost. I have a digital camera that I blew an entire tax return on years ago ($1200) but has since made me $ because people hire me to take pics. The camera could have been a slippery slope - lots of lens and accesories there but they are really unneeded unless you are a pro. Going to galleries, museums and music shows is pretty cheap, the latter if you don't drink. I don't watch tv - no bill for cable there (and btw, avoiding advertising is a really great way to feel like you are living well when you are simply living according to your needs.) What else is living well? Access to good healthy food - farmers markets are cheaper than the supermarket and better quality plus you are supporting local industry, etc. Not having to have a car is living well. Having awesome interesting friends is living well for sure. Having a job you like too.

The major problem with making 60K and especially 35K is school loans. I like to save in order to head off rainy days and I absolutely hate having debts. Having debt is *not* living well but I suspect that a lot of people are in the same boat with that one and am not sure what we can do about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 10:13 AM

147 posts, read 535,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Holy crap! You would be the dream girlfriend in my world. I am a frugal guy who likes the simple life.

btw...I really dig astronomy. Why can't there be women in DC like you?
Thanks, and hopefully I'll be in DC soon! Is it easy to see the stars there? I actually don't know crap about astronomy but its something I want to learn. I study the planets enough as a hobby, I should know where the hell they actually are in the sky.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:42 AM

658 posts, read 1,894,319 times
you can't see any stars here..too many city lights for that..well, you might be able to see some stars but not a lot. Nothing like you can in the mtns or desert on a clear night..it's impressive

But, there is still some metal.. Actually, a really good metal bar down in VA.. I can't remember the name, but they get some really good acts coming thru there.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:33 AM

147 posts, read 535,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mettler View Post
you can't see any stars here..too many city lights for that..well, you might be able to see some stars but not a lot. Nothing like you can in the mtns or desert on a clear night..it's impressive

But, there is still some metal.. Actually, a really good metal bar down in VA.. I can't remember the name, but they get some really good acts coming thru there.
But the black metal guys have all killed themselves or been killed or are in jail.

I'll stick to indie stuff live I think

Old 10-22-2008, 02:16 PM

19 posts, read 76,359 times
As a former DC Resident who owns rental property in DC let me just say this considering housing costs. I own six condos in Arlington County, and one in Montgomery County. Two are in Rosslyn right above the Metro I rent them for $2700 per month (2 bedroom, 2 baths). Two others are near the Arlington County Court House (2 bedroom, 2 bath) I get $2400.00 per month. These are my newer units, the apartments in Rosslyn are in very well maintained updated buildings and I have updated my apartments including kitchens, bathrooms, and carpet. I own 2 older units, 1 Bedroom, 1 bath that are in 50 year old buildings well maintained but they have a vintage look I rent those for $1700 per month. Studio Apartments rent for around $1200 in the older building. Finally, I own a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment in Gaithersburg near Montgomery Village you can take the RideOn to the Metro I rent that for $1300 per month. The buildings are 30 years old but very well maintained, that apartment was my first home.

Even with the economic slowdown all of my apartments are rented, the one that is the hardest to rent is the one in Gaithersburg but it still isn't bad maybe takes a month or two when it goes vacant. I usually rent that thru Montgomery County Public Schools to new teachers, usually get two newbies rooming together. Condos at one time were crap investments in DC especially around 1996 when I bought the last one, but I reasoned that prices in DC would go up and condos in good close in neighborhoods would go up. It paid off. I use a rental management company to handle the rentals and any problems that occur.

In some ways, I would love to return to DC as I live overseas and have been doing so for 8 years, it was the best thing I have done professionally. However, with the global recession closing in I am closing out my last few projects (I build apartments in South America) and will hang it up. Then I will have to decide if I want to return to DC, housing costs will not be unbearable for me as I have bought in. Believe me you miss the Museums, and the cultural diversity that the place offers.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:22 PM

16 posts, read 28,670 times
It is indeed possible to live in Dc with that salary consider the fact that there are many in town particularly black families that live on less than that.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:19 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Interesting topic, as I want to live in DC once I graduate from college. Is DC a competitive market?

Old 01-29-2009, 06:25 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Interesting topic, as I want to live in DC once I graduate from college. Is DC a competitive market?
Yes, it's competitive, but there are also a good amount of jobs. I actually found it easier for me to get a job (at least, one I wanted) here than elsewhere. It can depend on your field.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:50 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
It's definitely a competitive market. In a weak economy, jobs at all levels become even more competitive. You definitely want to have some very solid leads before deciding to move to the area.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:42 PM

33 posts, read 113,630 times
Regarding everyone's comments about housing costs, my sunny 600 sq ft studio in Pentagon City costs $1200/month- a block from the metro and mall and lots of restaurant, with sufficient parking, and generally close enough to DC for going out and having fun. While I'm not a shopper and don't have any debt, I do eat out a lot, and my after taxes/savings/charity spending is only around 25K per year. I wouldn't want to live here on 35K/year without a particular motivation, because you wouldn't be saving or giving much, but I don't think it is impossible unless you feel entitled to a luxury lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: