Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 11:01 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
Our experience was just horrible. Crime, Section 8 housing, illegals, traffic, ...... I could keep going, but I'm getting upset just remembering our nine months living there.
How, exactly, does one "experience" section 8 housing and "illegals"?

And I'm doubly confused about someone complaining about traffic urging people to move to northern Virginia. Virginia has some of the most traffic-clogged roads in the country. I-270 isn't a breeze, but nothing compares to I-66 or the Dulles Toll Road at rush hour.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:46 AM

12 posts, read 26,163 times
Maryland > Virginia

Old 03-13-2011, 08:01 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
Meh, in the scheme of things I don't think it's a big deal either way. I have a slight affinity for VA just because I went to college there, had my first apartment there, and a good number of my friends live in Arlington/Alexandria, so Maryland just seems so "far" (in reality an extra 15 minutes or so). I also do enjoy the cheaper wine/alcohol.

I don't know about people who have lived here longer, but while people I know may bash MD/VA from time to time, it really isn't a big deal.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:15 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
How, exactly, does one "experience" section 8 housing and "illegals"?

And I'm doubly confused about someone complaining about traffic urging people to move to northern Virginia. Virginia has some of the most traffic-clogged roads in the country. I-270 isn't a breeze, but nothing compares to I-66 or the Dulles Toll Road at rush hour.
Ask some of your law-abiding neighbors who've lived in Logan Circle a long time how the drug-dealers and prostitutes who used to hang out there affected their quality of life, and you'll gain a better understanding of the concept of "negative externalities." At least as to the impact of Section 8 housing on surrounding neighborhoods, there was an article in the Atlantic Monthly a few years that noted the increase in crime in middle-class areas located near Section 8 complexes:

American Murder Mystery - Magazine - The Atlantic

It appears that she hadn't encountered such a situation prior to living in Germantown. As to the traffic situation, the poster didn't say she was commuting into DC daily on Route 66. It's entirely possible that she experienced less traffic on local roads in Burke than on local roads in Germantown.

Personally, I wouldn't necessarily extrapolate from one's experience in a particular part of Germantown to Montgomery County or Maryland as a whole, any more than I would extrapolate from living near Route 1 in Alexandria to Fairfax County or Virginia as a whole, but I didn't find her comments confusing. I gather you or the Mrs. used to live near there, and just didn't like what she had to say.

Last edited by JD984; 03-13-2011 at 11:09 AM..

Old 03-13-2011, 10:38 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
I'd rather live near a nuclear power plant than a dense cluster of section 8 apartments (and no, I wouldn't mind living in a mixed-income community either. there's a difference).

Old 03-13-2011, 10:49 AM

468 posts, read 1,338,500 times
MD > DC

MD > VA

Yeah I said it.
I am born and raised in DC too.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:51 AM

404 posts, read 1,094,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
MD is too flat. Most of it barely qualifies as 'rolling'. VA has all those nice hills and runs. More trees, too. And the two grew up differently. Crossing the river isn't a big deal today, but it was in the past. There were more big-money families and estates in the earlier days of VA, and that's influenced its geography, its architecture...just the whole feel of it. Those differences are melting slowly away, though. More and more, everywhere is just everywhere...
Nova is pretty flat too until you get out in western Loudon..

Old 03-13-2011, 11:04 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,383,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Maryland: Home to sensible Democratic politicians.

Virginia: Home to right-wing Republican crazies.

Maryland: First Catholic colony in the New World.

Virginia: You got Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson in your state.

Maryland: Has a real city called Baltimore.

Virginia: Richmond, Norfolk, Charlottesville as cities? Muah-Ha-Ha.

Maryland: In five years, gay couples can marry and I will be smoking pot legally.

Virginia: Hmmm...Laws still stuck in the 19th century. I think there is a law against sodomy and interracial marriage still on the Commonwealth's books.

Maryland: Got the Star-Spangled Banner and Francis Scott Key Thing going.

Virginia: Crusty old dudes and nerds dressing up for Civil War re-enactments.

Maryland: No personal property tax. No annual mechanical inspection for your vehicle. Emissions inspection once every two years.

Virginia: Owning a car in the Commonwealth sucks monkey b@lls.

Yeah, I am glad to be in Maryland.
Kicking myself for taking the troll bait, but uhh... which of these, exactly, would impact anyone in VA or MD in their everyday lives?

The only thing I see is the car tax. And the extra taxes you pay on things other than your car in MD more or less even out the fact that VA has a car tax.

For you to claim gay marriage and legalization of pot as advantages for MD, you might want to wait for the legislature to, you know, actually pass those things.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:32 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
An off topic thread from 07... There is a time and place for thread necromancy, sadly this is not it.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC