Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2008, 10:16 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,713 times

Advertisements

Probably this question has been asked a million times, but I am about to accept a job offer in DC with the Federal Government and I needed some advice. First of all, my income is going to be around 85,000 a year, would this be enough to rent a 2 bedroom apartment, close to work (Washington, DC 20546) in a nice area? Second, how is DC in terms of raising kids? I really want to have a family, so I want to know if there are good schools around and if it's safe. I know the cost of real estate in DC is pretty high, but how about everything else (day by day expenses)? My wife has a communications degree and 2 years of experience, how does the job market looks in DC? Any recommendations will be gladly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 02:56 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Yes, $85K will cover a 2BR apartment in a nice area, but if schools are a big factor, you might want that area to be in Arlington, Fairfax, or Montgomery County. There are some perfectly fine schools in the District, but they are found primarily in the most upscale neighborhoods. The rest of the DC system can't really be counted on. As 20546 is basically 300 E Street, SW, the nearest Metro will be Federal Center SW (two short blocks) which is on both the Blue and Orange lines which go out into Arlington and Fairfax counties, so that's where I'd focus. It is expensive everywhere here, but not out of line with most other metropolitan areas. The job market in DC is notoriously stable and dependable, but that still doesn't mean nailing down what you want will be easy. Communications is a big field here however, so a quality resumé should bring reasonably quick results...

Old 11-20-2008, 04:35 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,713 times
Thanks for replying. That was really helpful!

Old 11-20-2008, 06:25 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
No problem. If you haven't come across it, you can get a feel for the Metro layout at their website. This link will take you to the Maps & Stations page. Click the icon in the middle to see the Metro lines overlaid on a regular street map. Metro is how everybody gets around...particularly those (like you) who are eligible for the SmartBenefits program. They'll pick up as much as the first $115 per month of your Metro fares, tax free. Kind of comes in handy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC