Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 08:42 PM

23 posts, read 166,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Whaa whaa whaa - another New Yorker leaving the cocoon and whining that it's different. I agree with the above poster. This is my biggest pet peave with New Yorkers. All they do is complain and tell you how much better New York is. I've lived in both and to say one is better is to miss the fact that DC is built on a fundamentally different philosophy. It was built to be a government city and that's what it is. New York emerged through markets and trading.

Look - you're probably very young. You probably only know what you were raised to know so this is mostly just culture shock of experiencing something different.

DC is not a commuter town. Spend time in Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, Penn Quarter, U Street, Logan Circle, H Street, blah blah blah. So much energy you won't know what to do with yourself. DC is, however, a transient town. People come from all over and then go all over. You won't find the old neighborhoods like you do in NY.

DC is extremely multicultural. People don't live in ethnic neighborhoods, but they come from all over the world to be in the intellectual capital of the U.S. and the seat of global government. Find them.

I've known plenty of cosmopolitan, global people who have lived around the world and swear by DC as their favorite place because it's a concentration of highly educated and global people focused on the issues of the world. There is so much energy and vitality crammed into the relatively small city it's incredible. Find it.
omg *claps*.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 09:04 PM

19 posts, read 61,234 times
Alright, I'm not a DC native nor am I NYC. I was raised near Boston, went to school in Boston, got my MBA in Boston, worked and lived in Europe for 4yrs. I love Boston and Europe-- but I'm moving to DC. Why? These native DCers (what are you guys called anyway?) are definitely right about one thing -- the economy there is so much more fluid than many of the regions, including my own hometown. Hence I'm moving there. After interviewing with 20+ companies, the DC companies had the best salary, benefits and work for me -- and I applied to ones from Boston, NYC, Chicago, Houston and Miami.

Spent very little time in DC thus far and I'm already impressed, the diversity and different venues along with being up there in the cultural and political arena, there's not much to talk down on DC (except the traffic and the odd rule of driving on the left side ;-)).

Don't feel insulted native DCers, I spent tons of time in Manhattan -- incredible city, but lets be honest, the posters here are most likely from the 'bridge and tunnel' crowd that need to figure out which metro to take at night to get back out to the 'burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC