Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 07:41 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,089,178 times

Advertisements

I've started this thread as a general one for people who have been to inaugurals before (or 4th of July or other large celebrations on the Mall) and wanted to pass along some advice to folks coming to visit. A few things I could think of to add would include:

* It's going to be cold. Even if it isn't cold, spending hour after hour in lines or in crowds is going to be cold. That wet damp cold that really gets under your skin. Long underwear is great, as our layers outside (so you can add or subtract if needed).

* Once the parade starts, the city is 'cut in two'--there is no going from one side of Pennsylvania Avenue to the other in the middle of the parade, short of looping around the White House or the Capitol (a hike of over a mile and a half). If you are meeting someone or want to go to see someone on one side or the other, plan on getting there early.

* It's very very difficult to get a taxi the day of the Inaugural or more importantly, that night as many of the cabs in town are pressed into service delivering people to the different 'Balls' around town.

* Sometimes the nearest Metro station to where you are is not the best option. Walking to a station a few blocks further from the Mall may allow you to get on the train before others and have less of a line than the ones nearest the Mall.

* Enjoy yourselves. I've been to three and had fun even at the ones for the guy I didn't vote for.

Last edited by PenguinSix; 01-12-2009 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC