Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:53 PM

6 posts, read 31,919 times

Advertisements

You might need a roomate; or look for a studio with all utl included. You probably won't qualify for a apartment with a property managment compancy because you have to make 2.5-3.0 times the market rent. You might need a co-signer to back up your income. Look for a studio that cheap in Nothern Arlington like Crystal or Pentagon city. Most of the apartments in that are giving away 1-2 months free that you can spread over a 12 month lease making your rent affordable in a nice area and close to the metro. But when your lease is up get ready to move again becuase you will have used your concession over the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 07:56 PM

32 posts, read 143,301 times
Actually, my brother lived in DC last year for $1050/month in Foggy Bottom (in an extremely nice studio on GWU's campus, though it did not belong to the university... it was a private condo building). There are good bargains; you just have to hunt for them. An apartment complex like two blocks away was not much better, but charged $1500 for the same amount of space/amenities, so he really lucked out.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 6,350 times
Default gloria1

I know a woman who earns 36,000 a year who lives on Quackenbos St. 20011

She also gets a lot of help from charity organizations and churches.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:34 PM

75 posts, read 241,861 times
I "lived" in DC on less, but piled up debt on credit cards, I wouldnt recommend for long term.

Some things to consider:

Cell phone bill - $40-110 depending on your service.
Blackberry- is your office paying for yours? I dont have one, but I imagine its about $200 or more.
Blackberry phone bill - ???

Laundry detergent, toiletries, makeup, running shoes, etc, all need to be replaced on a routine basis and the costs sneak up on you - naturally if you already budget well, this shouldnt add a new complication to your life.

Books/DVDs add up too, try to get a DC library card, but it always seems like they're under construction, so I never did.

Taxis: $10 to go anywhere within dc proper from Adams Morgan. (you'll need it for your trips to H street at the very least since the buses are pretty unreliable).

Metro - $2.60 per day ($936 per year) to go anywhere in dc proper roundtrip, more if you go further or make multiple stops.

Renters Insurance - $50-100 (GET IT. Infrastruce and pipes in dc do collapse and cause huge problems- just look at the house on the corner of 14th and T that probably has been condemned for over a year) - and thats in the "best" area of dc - dupont circle.

Eating out vs grocery shopping - are you a savvy shopper? Because food gets expensive.

Health insurance- $100- $450 per month-- is your company paying for this, because I had to pay for all of my prescriptions out of pocket since my health insurance at my presigious law firm f-d me over and upped their prices 3 months down the road...protect yourself and ask about this before signing up - it may be wiser to invest in a private health insurance.

Car - parking permit for onstreet parking in dupont runs $250-$400 - parking spot in a lot at or near your job will cost the same.

Parking ticket - $100+ (Very easy to get in DC - I had my car there 4 days out of a year and got tickets every time, once for being a MINUTE literally, late to get back.)

Theft - my mail packages were often stolen by one of DC's 9000 homeless, caught by the cops and ened up in police property center which they never got back to me despite my repeated attempts to get it from them (sigh, long story dont ask).

and my bike was stolen. $400 down the drain. A lot of bike hacks who will steal your bike and hack it for parts so its not identifiable anymore in DC.

Music - $8-30 a night if you like to do this in your free time. Twice a week = eight times a month = $32-240 a month.

Events like the ballet, etc. are also expensive, but some events are free at Kennedy Center. Also, many FREE events take place on the Mall, there are also a lot of outdoor movie nights, first fridays, artomatic (i think its free, cant remember, but this is one event worth paying for) etc.

Cocktails can run up to NY prices at some bars. (*ahem, Tabaq ).

Anyhow, yes, you can live on this salary if you budget well, many young people do. Get a credit card for emergencies, just in case your car is stolen or something crazy happens. best of luck.

Definitely take advantage of free lunches or cocktails offered at your workplace, try to walk as much as possible, and dont bring a lot of furniture.

Last edited by gorilazgomossad; 07-12-2009 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: spacing didnt work. grr.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:06 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
That's an exceptional deal on an A-M efficiency. That being said, Gorrilaz up above me did an excellent job of setting out some things to think about when you come here. DC isn't NYC, but it's expensive enough, and living where you are the temptation to go out frequently will be strong. Keep in mind that it is not difficult to drop hundreds of dollars per week on food/restaurants/bars/coffee etc.

Also, this depends on entirely on your own level of comfort, but even at the good rate you found on the A-M apartment, you're not leaving yourself much room for savings. You may be comfortable with where you are, but it's something to think about.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post

you're not leaving yourself much room for savings.
oh wait, if youre a redhead you can get drinks half off at madams organ i'm pretty sure. what bigotry! blasphemy! hey if you got it flaunt it, i say.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:28 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorilazgomossad View Post
Car - parking permit for onstreet parking in dupont runs $250-$400 - parking spot in a lot at or near your job will cost the same.
Do you mean off-street parking? Or are there additional fees based on the neighborhood? My DC residential parking permit was $15 for a year. From what I saw posted online (and through talking with friends), off-street parking is about $250-400 (can be less if you're lucky, but typically not in Dupont).

Old 07-13-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Do you mean off-street parking? Or are there additional fees based on the neighborhood? My DC residential parking permit was $15 for a year. From what I saw posted online (and through talking with friends), off-street parking is about $250-400 (can be less if you're lucky, but typically not in Dupont).
Wow, can i be you? Howd you swing that and what part of dc did you live in?!?!?!?

Yes, I mean off street parking for the car.

All I know is I saw signs advertising parking spaces on my street for those amounts, and my upstairs flatmate said she paid about $450 for her permit allowing her to park in our zone, although I think she got a discount through her job that made it six months at that price but it would go up from there. REally cant remmber.

At my job in Metro center, parking spaces went for those prices according to the girls who worked with me and parked there (they had to, since they lived way out in MD and had 2 hr commutes).

Old 07-14-2009, 06:19 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorilazgomossad View Post
Wow, can i be you? Howd you swing that and what part of dc did you live in?!?!?!?

Yes, I mean off street parking for the car.

All I know is I saw signs advertising parking spaces on my street for those amounts, and my upstairs flatmate said she paid about $450 for her permit allowing her to park in our zone, although I think she got a discount through her job that made it six months at that price but it would go up from there. REally cant remmber.

At my job in Metro center, parking spaces went for those prices according to the girls who worked with me and parked there (they had to, since they lived way out in MD and had 2 hr commutes).
I live in the SW Waterfront area. When I registered my car I paid $15 for a Zone 6 residential parking sticker, so I can park on the street anywhere it says "Zone 6" (SW, Capitol Hill, Penn Quarter, and some parts of Chinatown, it starts changing near the CityVista building on 5th & K NW). To do this you have to have proof of DC residency and register your car in DC (if you're looking for a commuting parking space, you're out of luck). I also rent a spot in my condo's parking lot for $150, which is standard in my neighborhood. My friends' buildings in Dupont charge $250-350. Was she a DC resident? That would make the difference, since it's a temporary permit and I've heard stories of the fees varying wildly.

Unless you're renting/buying a spot or perhaps a temporary resident, I never heard of paying more for just residential street parking. If you're paying to park in a garage for work, then it's around $350 or so, but can be more.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:44 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
I live in the SW Waterfront area. When I registered my car I paid $15 for a Zone 6 residential parking sticker, so I can park on the street anywhere it says "Zone 6" (SW, Capitol Hill, Penn Quarter, and some parts of Chinatown, it starts changing near the CityVista building on 5th & K NW). To do this you have to have proof of DC residency and register your car in DC (if you're looking for a commuting parking space, you're out of luck). I also rent a spot in my condo's parking lot for $150, which is standard in my neighborhood. My friends' buildings in Dupont charge $250-350. Was she a DC resident? That would make the difference, since it's a temporary permit and I've heard stories of the fees varying wildly.

Unless you're renting/buying a spot or perhaps a temporary resident, I never heard of paying more for just residential street parking. If you're paying to park in a garage for work, then it's around $350 or so, but can be more.
$150/month right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: