Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 09:13 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times

Advertisements

People who think DC is not way past the issue of residential segregation must never have been to any of the neighborhoods up 16th Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 06:47 PM

587 posts, read 1,411,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
People who think DC is not way past the issue of residential segregation must never have been to any of the neighborhoods up 16th Street.
DC is extremely residentially and socially segregated. Gentrification has made some DC neighborhoods more diverse, but NW west of 13th Street is very white and east of 13th is very black. This is not up for dispute. Bay Area cities like Oakland are infinitely more integrated residentially and socially than DC ever will be. There is no unity amongst minorities in DC like Northern California. You might have rare instances of blacks and Salvodoreans getting along in places like the Georgia Ave corridor, but thats about it. DC, proper, is not an immigration hub like the Bay Area or NYC. Because of that DC is very black and white, rich and poor. Division and inequality along stark easily defined racial and economic lines is what makes DC what it is. Where are all the racially ambiguous mixed race people, interesting folks who dress wild and crazy and diverse interracial places in DC? You really don't even see that many lighter skinned black folks in DC unlike NYC and Philly.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:12 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
DC is extremely residentially and socially segregated. Gentrification has made some DC neighborhoods more diverse, but NW west of 13th Street is very white and east of 13th is very black. This is not up for dispute. Bay Area cities like Oakland are infinitely more integrated residentially and socially than DC ever will be. There is no unity amongst minorities in DC like Northern California. You might have rare instances of blacks and Salvodoreans getting along in places like the Georgia Ave corridor, but thats about it. DC, proper, is not an immigration hub like the Bay Area or NYC. Because of that DC is very black and white, rich and poor. Division and inequality along stark easily defined racial and economic lines is what makes DC what it is. Where are all the racially ambiguous mixed race people, interesting folks who dress wild and crazy and diverse interracial places in DC? You really don't even see that many lighter skinned black folks in DC unlike NYC and Philly.
One of my close friends is a light-skinned black Washingtonian. But granted, she and her family currently live in Landover.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:50 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
If you're lucky, outside the beltway MoCo and NoVA. But even in those places, transplants from the Northeast and Midwest, and DC/Arlington/Bethesda yuppies who are ready to settle down, are moving out there as well, carrying their covert racist ways with them and slowly but surely making any sign of cordial race relations disappear. It's a damn shame for DC when you have to go to Prince William, Loudoun, and Howard (which is technically the Baltimore Area) to find some decent racial integration. I would say outer beltway parts of Montgomery and Fairfax as the other racially integrated spots, but those places tend to be the top spots for transplants and yuppies who desire the "90% white 10% anything-but-black" communities.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
If you're lucky, outside the beltway MoCo and NoVA. But even in those places, transplants from the Northeast and Midwest, and DC/Arlington/Bethesda yuppies who are ready to settle down, are moving out there as well, carrying their covert racist ways with them and slowly but surely making any sign of cordial race relations disappear. It's a damn shame for DC when you have to go to Prince William, Loudoun, and Howard (which is technically the Baltimore Area) to find some decent racial integration. I would say outer beltway parts of Montgomery and Fairfax as the other racially integrated spots, but those places tend to be the top spots for transplants and yuppies who desire the "90% white 10% anything-but-black" communities.
I'm astounded at the ignorance about race relations on this board.

In my neighborhood alone the mix is:
  • American Indian 6
  • Asian 367
  • Black 1,026
  • Hawaiian 0
  • Hispanic 149
  • Some Other Race 59
  • White 916

Most other neighborhoods up 16th street have comparable statistics.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:01 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I'm astounded at the ignorance about race relations on this board.

In my neighborhood alone the mix is:
  • American Indian 6
  • Asian 367
  • Black 1,026
  • Hawaiian 0
  • Hispanic 149
  • Some Other Race 59
  • White 916

Most other neighborhoods up 16th street have comparable statistics.
Surface diversity and genuine integration are two different things. You're referring tithe former while I'm referring to the latter.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
Surface diversity and genuine integration are two different things. You're referring tithe former while I'm referring to the latter.
No you're race baiting and I'm pointing out the reality of the neighborhood in which I live. Segregation in DC is economic not race.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:20 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herethereeverywhere View Post
We are thinking of a possible move to the DC area, currently in Silicon Valley. Husband would be working in Vienna, VA.

Do any areas exist that are very liberal, laid-back, earthy (not hippie)- think holistic, green, etc.?? But also modern and sophisticated at the same time?

We both grew up in the midwest and really don't want to return to ultra conservative environment, in clothes, politics, religion, etc., etc., etc...
There's nothing "green" about DC. Being able to say you can "walk to Walgreens" isn't exactly a grand proclamation of living the "earthy" lifestyle. DC is a concrete jungle, few green spaces in the city proper, and full of cars. The ideology might be "green," but the lifestyle sure isn't. And if you beg hard enough, you might get a "plastic bag tax" heaved upon you. Liberals here like to talk the big talk, but policy talk and taxes are about as "green" as you're gonna get.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
There's nothing "green" about DC. Being able to say you can "walk to Walgreens" isn't exactly a grand proclamation of living the "earthy" lifestyle. DC is a concrete jungle, few green spaces in the city proper, and full of cars. The ideology might be "green," but the lifestyle sure isn't. And if you beg hard enough, you might get a "plastic bag tax" heaved upon you. Liberals here like to talk the big talk, but policy talk and taxes are about as "green" as you're gonna get.
DC has one of the largest system of parks in the United States, much more than the OP will be used to in California. The OP may never been in an urban park of almost 2000 acres. As I look out my front window I see a fox playing in the snow and the deer are decimating my shrubs once again. The city has an aggressive program of promoting rooftop solar. I have a friend who is getting a 4 year payback on a 5kW system up on Capitol Hill. The city gave me two rain barrels and a tree to reduce my storm water runoff. We have the second most utilized public transportation system in the country. We do have neighbors who get very jealous of DC's success. They haunt our message boards.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:47 PM

458 posts, read 645,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herethereeverywhere View Post
We both grew up in the midwest and really don't want to return to ultra conservative environment, in clothes, politics, religion, etc., etc., etc...
Wait a minute...............
Did anyone even read this line???
Forget about how "green" DC is when you're dealing with an ultra bland cookie-cutter environment.
DC screams nothing but ultra conservative rigidness and work till you drop lifestyles.
Go to NYC if you want to meet liberals because you certainly won't find unique personalities in DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC