Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2009, 09:41 AM

9 posts, read 27,271 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I just got offered a job to conduct trainings at Best Buys in the DC area, these are the stores I will be visiting in the area.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...efe69a6f28a471

My budget for an apartment will be from $800-$1300 a month. I would like to live in a safe area, commute time will not be a factor since I will be visiting Best Buys at random times and days (including weekends). Can anyone help and give me some ideas? Thanks in advance

Last edited by mmunro; 09-19-2009 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: Bad link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 05:44 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,451 times
Where are you relocating from? What are you looking for in a community (e.g., are you a family person, single, etc.?).
Looking at your map, I would suggest Silver Spring, which is close to the center of where you'll be going, or Rockville. Bethesda is very nice but more expensive. These offer access to the Beltway, 95, and 270, all of which will be important. And the traffic WILL be important. Rush hours are long here and the traffic only seems to lessen a bit between about 10 and 3 (some might even say 2:30), then it's rush hour til about 8:00. Traveling on Sat. and Sun. mornings is not bad but those are also big shopping days and the traffic builds up starting in the late morning, especially on the highways and roads around malls. You may have to spend more than $1300 for a 1-BR apartment (if that's what you want), total cost of more like $1600+ would be my guess for a decent place in a decent area, unless you rent a unit in someone's home or a condo that has been sitting on the market (see Craigslist DC). There are apt. complex ratings and links at apartmentratings.com. Quite a few people rent with housemates when they are new to this area, that would take you back down to about $800-$900 and you would have some in-house expertise on the area. I am over 50 and rent with one housemate in a house in Silver Spring (i have 2 rms and BA, share kit).
Good luck!

Old 09-19-2009, 05:54 PM

Im relocating from Columbus, Ohio. I have a girlfriend but she is not moving out from Columbus for at least 4-6 months. Thanks for your input and advice!

Old 09-20-2009, 08:34 AM

51 posts, read 204,510 times
How long will you be in the DC area for? Is it just a temporary training position?

Old 09-20-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylekaters View Post
How long will you be in the DC area for? Is it just a temporary training position?
no permanent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC