Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 10,008 times

Advertisements

I just started working in Library of Congress and was wondering about parking there. My closest metro station is Vienna. I see some metered parking spots near the library buildings. Some says 7:00am to 6:30pm, max 2 hour parking, allows 4 hours of free parking. I work from 3:00pm to 11:30pm. So can I park there the whole working shift? I don't understand these metered parking terms. What are other parking options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 11:02 AM

470 posts, read 2,095,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackwz View Post
What are other parking options?
Parking at Vienna Metro, finding a seat nice and easy, and enjoying the ride on in to Capitol South.

Other than that, I can only imagine it would be a pretty severe pain in the butt to drive in there everyday and find street metered parking.

Keep in mind, you can't just park anywhere in Capitol Hill and walk to work. You'd need a residential zone parking sticker or you'll get a ticket, unless you want to move your car every couple hours.

So it just doesn't sound pleasant to drive all that way, find a metered spot, make sure you always have a ton of quarters in your car, and go back out to the street to find a new spot/feed the meter every couple hours.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:24 PM

209 posts, read 984,638 times
If you're going to drive I think garage parking is the only realistic option. The meter rules are set up to make commuter parking impossible.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:06 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,469,184 times
Yup...park at Vienna and ride on in. All driving into town does is add cost, time, and aggravation. Only question mark is that Mon-Thu, the last train for Vienna leaves Capitol South at 11:55 pm. No dawdling once the whistle blows! The LOC will pay up to the first $115 per month of your Metro fares, tax free. Your fare, travelling outside of rush hour as you will be, will be $2.35 each way, or $94 per month. You'd get all of that paid for. Parking at Vienna is $4.50 per day, but only until closing, which is midnight Mon-Thu. You'd therefore park on those days for free too. Not bad...

Last edited by saganista; 07-02-2008 at 07:19 PM..

Old 09-14-2009, 08:33 PM

2 posts, read 17,248 times
Where's the closest parking garage to the Library of Congress? My docent training does not start till 10am, the East Falls Church metro parking seems to be full by then, and I'd like an alternative if I cannot find a spot. Is Union Station the closest?

Old 09-21-2009, 08:19 PM

605 posts, read 2,160,114 times
If you park for more than two hours at a meter you will be ticketed, even if you feed the meter. The whole idea behind meters is to ensure that parking in high-use areas periodically becomes available to daytime visitors.

The only legal place for you to park would be in a garage. I believe that the closest commercial garage open to the public is at Union Station.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 17,248 times
Damn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC