Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 04:49 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,566,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
it was not plastic and sterile like DC.
You didn't live in DC. No one who has ever spent time in neighborhoods like U Street, Dupont, Logan, Shaw, Adams-Morgan, Columbia Heights, etc. would ever call them "plastic"--it would be akin to calling Manhattan "sparse".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 04:50 PM

660 posts, read 1,705,914 times
Quote:
I also lived in DC for a tad over two years from 2002-2004. I found the people to be rather pompous and overly impressed with themselves, standoffish and generally dull. DC itself has a "sterile" vibe - to me it has no soul, unlike L.A., San Diego, Bay Area (East Bay!), Houston and other places I have lived. The suburbs galactically suck, I've had the dubious pleasure of residing in Silver Spring and Arlington (Courthouse) areas among others.
I can see how people from SoCal would feel that way about DC. As someone stuck in San Diego for one summer, I found San Diegans to be shallow, provincial, and narrow-minded about the rest of the country. And if San Diego had a soul, it was hidden in some garden apartment complex from the 1950's. Or maybe the Navy stole it and hid it on Coronado.

To the OP: honestly, if you love Southern California, you probably won't like it here. I have friends from California who think DC is wonderful and would never consider moving back to California (although they would consider New York or Boston). Similarly, I know Washington natives who moved to the West Coast and never looked back. I think some people just belong on one coast or the other, and some of them just happen to have been born on the "wrong" one. It takes living on both coasts to really figure out which one suits you best.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:52 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,566,360 times
Quote:
Lived in Cleveland Park & Adams Morgan also.

Sarcasm Fail.
Sarcasm detection fail. My point (clearly) was that it would not be surprising for someone in the burbs to find a city lacking. No sarcasm there, pal.

And speaking of a "fail", that would be living in central DC but claiming to find "soul" in Houston. To each their own I suppose, just understand that there are many who would question that assessment.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:08 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,677,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Sarcasm detection fail. My point (clearly) was that it would not be surprising for someone in the burbs to find a city lacking. No sarcasm there, pal.

And speaking of a "fail", that would be living in central DC but claiming to find "soul" in Houston. To each their own I suppose, just understand that there are many who would question that assessment.
Ok Tiger, Sport, Champ, Fella, Guy, Chief, Boss, Captain, etc. etc.

I do understand that many would question my assesment. I never claimed otherwise. You seem to be threatened or to be taking it personally that a complete stranger did not love the city that you seem to derive a chunk of identity from. Sure lots of people like DC, I'm only speaking for myself. The OP asked and I answered. Dealing with the opinions of others is tough when they don't mirror your own, but buck up Little Camper, you'll get through this! <hug>

Old 10-16-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post

To the OP, please see my earlier post about finding DC residents pompous.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:22 PM

330 posts, read 878,584 times
Quote:
Lived in Cleveland Park & Adams Morgan also.

Sarcasm Fail.
LOL!! You're funny. Did you live in the U street corridor and Gallery Place/Chinatown, and Capital Hill? What about Woodley Park, Vaness, Friendship heights, and so on and so forth. Let me guess. Yes you have. LOL!!! Now I know you're lying your brains out. LOL!!! Hilarious!

Old 10-17-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
LOL!! You're funny. Did you live in the U street corridor and Gallery Place/Chinatown, and Capital Hill? What about Woodley Park, Vaness, Friendship heights, and so on and so forth. Let me guess. Yes you have. LOL!!! Now I know you're lying your brains out. LOL!!! Hilarious!
I'm not sure why you think I am lying - or more importantly why I would want to. As a single guy from 2002-2004 I moved around a number of times while I lived in the area, and as a married guy we lived in Silver Spring (near the Wheaton metro) for the six months we lived there. FWIW I worked on Capitol Hill for my first stint in DC and most recently off Mass. Ave a few blocks down from Gallery Place/Chinatown.

But I am glad I gave you lots of giggles and the nice feeling of thinking you caught an anonymous poster *lying* on an internet forum. Good for you!

To the OP, again, an example of the strange pompous attitude I found people in DC to affect. I don't claim that my experience was representative of anything else other than my own experience, but the bizarrely hostile responses to my postings here are in line with my experiences in the area. Good luck in whatever you choose!

Old 10-17-2009, 09:12 PM

660 posts, read 1,705,914 times
Quote:

To the OP, again, an example of the strange pompous attitude I found people in DC to affect. I don't claim that my experience was representative of anything else other than my own experience, but the bizarrely hostile responses to my postings here are in line with my experiences in the area. Good luck in whatever you choose!
Bizarrely hostile? You haven't lived in DC for five years, but read the DC forums on City Data and disparage its residents as dull, pompous, and more. Like I said in an earlier post in this thread, I was uniformly unimpressed by San Diego. But I don't post in the San Diego forum warning all East Coasters to stay away from the city, because that would be rude.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
Bizarrely hostile? You haven't lived in DC for five years, but read the DC forums on City Data and disparage its residents as dull, pompous, and more. Like I said in an earlier post in this thread, I was uniformly unimpressed by San Diego. But I don't post in the San Diego forum warning all East Coasters to stay away from the city, because that would be rude.
Again, I can only share my experiences and call them as such. The OP asked if he would experience culture shock and I answered with my point of view. I am at a loss as to why now three separate posters have "attacked" me for sharing my opinion. Go back and read my posts Stephen, I never wrote or even implied that my experiences were anything other than just that - my experiences. Why that is so threatening to now three posters is odd to me, and yes, I would classify that as "bizarrely hostile."

And as far as being rude, the nasty responses to my postings are the only rude things I've read in this thread. But to each their own.

Last edited by rb4browns; 10-17-2009 at 09:53 PM..

Old 10-17-2009, 10:39 PM

330 posts, read 878,584 times
Quote:
Again, I can only share my experiences and call them as such. The OP asked if he would experience culture shock and I answered with my point of view. I am at a loss as to why now three separate posters have "attacked" me for sharing my opinion. Go back and read my posts Stephen, I never wrote or even implied that my experiences were anything other than just that - my experiences. Why that is so threatening to now three posters is odd to me, and yes, I would classify that as "bizarrely hostile."

And as far as being rude, the nasty responses to my postings are the only rude things I've read in this thread. But to each their own.
rb4browns, you seem like a nice person, but you posted some opinions that really didn't make sense and you didn't provide any good backup to your opinions and your credibility fell through the roof with your comparisons.

But I understand everyone has different opinions and feelings towards a place to live. Keep in mind that you also came across as rude towards many people. And in life you get treated the way you treat other people.

In summary, I acknowledge, but not agree about your belief about how DC and its suburbs suck when compared to Houston and other places like San Diego. I acknowledge, but not agree that Houston is an awesome place compared to DC, and I respect your opinion. Case closed and lets move on. Glad you found a place you love. End of story and best of luck to you.

Last edited by EastBay-NowDCarea; 10-18-2009 at 12:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC