Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 02:25 PM

10 posts, read 46,027 times

Advertisements

As a single women in DC for three years, I have heard so much about the terrible ratio of single women to single men in this town, from 2:1 to 7:1. Never in a town that people are so obssessed with this. Do you actually believe this? At first, I did not believe it for whatever reason. But it looks like it is extremely hard for women to date a normal and attrative guy in this town. Most of my girlfriends are either single for a long time or stick with someone not as attrative as they are. Women are so aggressive in pursuing a man.

Does the ratio really matter so much? What is your dating experience in this town? Advice from both women and men welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 02:57 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,895,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoMD2008 View Post
As a single women in DC for three years, I have heard so much about the terrible ratio of single women to single men in this town, from 2:1 to 7:1. Never in a town that people are so obssessed with this. Do you actually believe this? At first, I did not believe it for whatever reason. But it looks like it is extremely hard for women to date a normal and attrative guy in this town. Most of my girlfriends are either single for a long time or stick with someone not as attrative as they are. Women are so aggressive in pursuing a man.

Does the ratio really matter so much? What is your dating experience in this town? Advice from both women and men welcome.
There is a thriving Gay community in DC. If marriage gets approved, I have read reports of DC developing into the East Coast Gay cultural city to rival SF. Maybe thats why its hard to find men...

Old 10-12-2009, 04:42 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,310,576 times
Quote:

attraCtive. Once is a mistake, twice is spelling problem.

Maybe your friends just aren't that good at judging their own attractiveness, and overrate themselves.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:58 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,726,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post

Maybe your friends just aren't that good at judging their own attractiveness, and overrate themselves.
I think you're on to something.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:07 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,726,363 times
Quote:

Look, I was up in DC this past weekend and from the looks of things there is certainly an abundance of available women. But hell, what city doesn't have some skewed ratio where women out number men.

I like to think that I'm a attractive guy that is doing good things, but I don't want to deal with some of you women. Or it could be that some of the men are like me; still loves his ex girl and wants to spend the rest of his life with her as opposed to the less optimal situation of dating some random.

Who knows! I don't think that a woman being aggressive when it comes to pursing a man is such a bad thing.

But then again I will be new to DC in the coming weeks and quite frankly I'm over so o-v-e the dating scene in most cities the 'r' hasn't even arrived yet.

Just tell your girlfriends to find new guys if they aren't satisfied with their current picks.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:16 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,247,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
There is a thriving Gay community in DC. If marriage gets approved, I have read reports of DC developing into the East Coast Gay cultural city to rival SF. Maybe thats why its hard to find men...
I have to disagree. I mean gay marriage is legal in Boston but I don't think I've heard of anyone moving to Boston because of this though. The only thing I've heard is certain gay men boycotting Virginia because of it's laws regarding this (apparently Maryland which doesn't have gay marriage either is nicer to gays). There's a lot of gay folks in DC but not so many that the women have been driven away. NYC is way gayer than DC.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:08 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,460,046 times
I have to say that I have a ton of single women friends and when they ask me to hook them up with one of my friends, I usually can never think of a decent guy that isn't already in a relationship. A few of my dbag friends are always available, but I wouldn't recommend them for much beyond a marathon halo tournament or a case-race.

I have never heard the ratio in DC, but it does seem to me like the single women outnumber the single guys by a long shot. I tell my guy friends that complain about being single in other cities to move here, because there really do seem to be a ton of gorgeous, smart, fun, single girls. Even my friends who, despite being awesome, can barely speak to a girl they like end up with some great girls.

So yeah, in my casual observations, it does seem to be the average-man's paradise. Despite being a goofball, I met the best girl ever down here. Jackpot.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:48 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,895,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I have to disagree. I mean gay marriage is legal in Boston but I don't think I've heard of anyone moving to Boston because of this though. The only thing I've heard is certain gay men boycotting Virginia because of it's laws regarding this (apparently Maryland which doesn't have gay marriage either is nicer to gays). There's a lot of gay folks in DC but not so many that the women have been driven away. NYC is way gayer than DC.

You know the other thing I thought of is that young single men in DC work a lot. The general attitude of this metro is work very hard, very aggressively. They are up against other similar male peers in their 20's who are lawyers or have multiple degrees, pushing to make names for themselves. Maybe they are all in the office at nite?

Old 10-13-2009, 11:47 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,460,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
You know the other thing I thought of is that young single men in DC work a lot. The general attitude of this metro is work very hard, very aggressively. They are up against other similar male peers in their 20's who are lawyers or have multiple degrees, pushing to make names for themselves. Maybe they are all in the office at nite?
I think that's definitely true for both men and women. I met my girlfriend at work and a bunch of my friends are dating people they met at work as well.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:16 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,383,753 times
LOL, once again another tired argument from a woman who think outside forces are responsible for her being single. I never observed women being aggressive here. If they were more aggressive maybe more of them wouldn't be single. Most women are passive and are too scared to approach a man they find attractive. Who measures these single women to single men ratio? Where did you get that figure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC