Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,708 times

Advertisements

I know, a tired subject, but most threads look a little dated and my situation is a little different.

I am 35 year old male, married, 3 kids (ages 2 - 8). Moving to DC for about 2 years to work for government, then plan on heading back to Texas. I will come to DC alone from Jan to May next year (to let kids finish school and scout out DC before moving family up to join me). I will work primarily in the District in the Bond building (near McPherson Square metro). I will have a second office in Crystal City that I will go to maybe once a week or less.

I do NOT want to spend hours commuting - will trade space for time. I'd like to live in a decent neighborhood with acceptable restaurants and stores, but I don't need to party late night with trendy, beautiful folks in their 20's (and I can tell you my wife does not want me hanging out with any females who fit that description!). I am no longer young and beautiful. (Well, I was at least young once.)

First Question: Should I live in the District or in Arlington along the Orange line while I am in DC alone? Trying to find a place for $1300/mth or less, and it does not have to be spectacular - just a reasonable commute and place to lay my head.

Second question: Once kids arrive, we'll need to live in NOVA for the better public schools. Any thoughts on feasibility of renting a place for $3K or less with 3 bedrooms, a good neighborhood, good school, and still near metro so i don't have to drive for hours every day?

A sincere thanks for any attempt to answer these detailed questions.

CLP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 08:37 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpnewtodc View Post
Any thoughts on feasibility of renting a place for $3K or less with 3 bedrooms, a good neighborhood, good school, and still near metro so i don't have to drive for hours every day?
Townhouse or Condo near East Falls Church Metro. Excellent Yorktown HS pyramid schools on the Arlington side, excellent city schools on the Falls Church side. Metro stop is in a suburban area with a decent number of families.

If you stick to a 2br/2ba 1200 sq ft condo, you should be able to stay below 3k, possibly even $2500.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:06 AM

116 posts, read 212,721 times
I would stick to the Virginia side at this point. If your oldest is already in school, then I wouldn't move to DC since you will have to either move or send him to private school.

TheseGoTo11's post is on the money. I would go with Falls Church merely because the school district there has a better reputation and the housing there tends to be townhouses and SFHs as opposed to mostly condos within walking distance to the Metro although either option will be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC