Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 06:08 AM

290 posts, read 633,582 times

Advertisements

Seasons Greetings, everyone! Since all of us in the D.C. area are currently (as of December 19th, 2009) stuck here in a historic December blizzard I wanted to open up a discussion on any memories of white Christmases in this area or of other major snowstorms here in the region. Also, Washingtonians have a (well-deserved) reputation for not being the best at handling the white stuff, especially when it comes to driving in it. Since it's predicted that temperatures will remain unusually cold for some time and this snow will stick around does anybody have any advice for those of us heading out over the holidays? Thanks and stay safe and warm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 06:11 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Pics when you have time
Looks like nice fluffy stuff on TV. I am sure it will give everyone a nice rest. You can not stop mother nature

Old 12-19-2009, 08:26 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyo321 View Post
Also, Washingtonians have a (well-deserved) reputation for not being the best at handling the white stuff, especially when it comes to driving in it.
I don't understand, why does DC have a bad reputation? It seems to me they deal with it the same way as they do as everywhere else, except for the MidWest. I was wathcing the Situation Room yesterday, and Wolf Blitzer (who lives in Bethesda, along with a number of others on the program) couldn't stop saying every 2 minutes how 2 inches of snow would "do it" for DC. I mean we get significant snowfall every year.

I think it made sense for the mayor to declare a snow emergency, which they also did in Philadelphia even though they have significantly less snow. Virginia's governor did as well, but it's a fact VA can't deal with the snow (I'll never forget how they "forgot" to salt the roads the night of the Potomac Primary). Neither Maryland nor Baltimore declared a snow emergency. Does that make us "tougher" than DC though?

Stolen photo from the Associated Press showing Air Force One shortly after it landed at Andrews AFB in Maryland last night:

Old 12-19-2009, 09:02 AM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
I got pics and I'll post them later. i will continue to take some later this afternoon.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:27 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
At Noon today, Snow Plan DC goes into effect. At noon, loudspeakers will blare: ABANDON YOUR CAR N-O-W !
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:02 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,824 times
I definitely notice the difference on how people handle snow out here coming from Milwaukee. There's pictures on the news of abandoned cars on the roads. Some people are acting like it's the end of the world. haha I'm just used to it, and actually very sick of it. I was hoping to see much less snow since moving to DC.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:52 AM

331 posts, read 1,197,738 times
I think people do not handle snow here as in other regions with significant snowfall. When I was in college in the mid-west, I could not believe that life did not stop and schools were not closed like it would be back home.

Now where are you posters who said it doesn't snow in DC? I tried to tell you in another thread that we were due for a big one!

I can think back over the years and I remember the "big" ones: 2003, 1995, 1987, 1979.

The last white Christmas was 1969. I was six years old.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:12 PM

13 posts, read 32,981 times
Metro has suspended all bus service and trains are only servicing underground stations.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:44 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,263 times
Well that's the MidWest, it's in their genes .

From NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin., HQ in downtown Silver Spring):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/13/US_White_Christmas_Map.gif (broken link)

Old 12-19-2009, 02:06 PM

290 posts, read 633,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
I don't understand, why does DC have a bad reputation? It seems to me they deal with it the same way as they do as everywhere else, except for the MidWest. I was wathcing the Situation Room yesterday, and Wolf Blitzer (who lives in Bethesda, along with a number of others on the program) couldn't stop saying every 2 minutes how 2 inches of snow would "do it" for DC. I mean we get significant snowfall every year.

I think it made sense for the mayor to declare a snow emergency, which they also did in Philadelphia even though they have significantly less snow. Virginia's governor did as well, but it's a fact VA can't deal with the snow (I'll never forget how they "forgot" to salt the roads the night of the Potomac Primary). Neither Maryland nor Baltimore declared a snow emergency. Does that make us "tougher" than DC though?

Stolen photo from the Associated Press showing Air Force One shortly after it landed at Andrews AFB in Maryland last night:
I guess I was thinking of places like upstate New York where my mom's from where they don't make as big a deal over big snowstorms and the roads are often clear to the pavement almost as soon as the snow stops. Granted it's a much smaller area with fewer roads but still there seems to be an attitude difference. I also remember dating a girl from Germany several years ago who was amazed to see schools closing over snow and the constant reporting on the news. Also, many people I've talked to over the years from northern Europe as well as places like New England, upstate New York and Central/Western Pennsylvania, the Midwest (especially Upper Midwest), Rocky Mountain states (like Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, etc.) and of course Canada have commented to me about how people around here seem to have more trouble driving in this kind of weather and how it seems to cause more delays and problems and takes longer to clean up than where they're from. Of course a snowstorm of this size (last I heard on the local news just now this might be the first December snowstorm to crack the top 10 biggest snowfall totals all-time for D.C.) is going to be significant almost everywhere. It's just interesting to me because it's another reminder of how we're kind of a northern/southern hybrid area: northern enough to get major snow from time to time but southern enough to be surprised by it.

Anyway, it really wasn't meant to be a criticism or complaint, just an observation. Time to go outside and make some snow angels!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC