Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 05:00 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,723,735 times

Advertisements

This, actually, isn't a blizzard. I've been in blizzards. They require 35 mph wind gusts to be labeled as such.

People definitely don't handle snow well here. Note the entire shut down of everything - malls, transit, restaurants, etc... That wouldn't happen in New England or the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 05:17 PM

291 posts, read 636,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
This, actually, isn't a blizzard. I've been in blizzards. They require 35 mph wind gusts to be labeled as such.

Picky, picky...

How about abundant snowfall of large proportions?

Old 12-19-2009, 05:35 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,727,867 times
Quote:
People definitely don't handle snow well here. Note the entire shut down of everything - malls, transit, restaurants, etc... That wouldn't happen in New England or the Midwest.
They also plow and treat the roads more frequently up there. I saw multiple people stuck in snow on highways (let alone side streets), and I nearly got stuck trying to make a left turn off of Army-Navy in Pentagon City. The street had been plowed, but it no longer mattered. I've noticed that I have a harder time driving in smaller amounts of snow around here than I do up in New England or upstate New York where the same "storm" would be considered a few flurries.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:11 PM

15,440 posts, read 25,862,569 times
Quote:
Where are you? The Blizzard conditions were east and south of DC.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:16 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,190,644 times
Alaskans just brush it off and continue on with life.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:23 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,131,183 times
We living in Florida are experiencing a very cold few days. We see the snow on TV nowadays and that is the place where we prefer to see snowy weather.

We live in South East Florida and on Friday the temp here was 84 degrees
Today is Saturday and it is in the mid 60's
Tomorrow Sunday will be cold as we can stand it and will be in the 50's.

No I do not miss the DC/Philly weather......However, I still have my snow shovel. In case someone up North needs one call me....My number is -XXX XXX-XXXX I await your call...

I wear shorts during Christmas and at times on New Years day...It was very didfficult for me and my friends to put the shorts on during December and January. The weather should be very cold but not anymore...BRRRR

Old 12-19-2009, 11:47 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,463,754 times
If any folks have a flat roof, you may want to get up there and shovel some snow off. I had a solid 2 feet accumulated and drifts of 3 feet around my chimneys and parapets. This isn't light fluffy powder, and these rooves haven't experienced this kind of weight in their lifetime.

Even discounting the drifts, I probably had 35,000 pounds of snow up there.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:08 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,239,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
i don't understand, why does dc have a bad reputation? It seems to me they deal with it the same way as they do as everywhere else, except for the midwest. I was wathcing the situation room yesterday, and wolf blitzer (who lives in bethesda, along with a number of others on the program) couldn't stop saying every 2 minutes how 2 inches of snow would "do it" for dc. I mean we get significant snowfall every year.

I think it made sense for the mayor to declare a snow emergency, which they also did in philadelphia even though they have significantly less snow. Virginia's governor did as well, but it's a fact va can't deal with the snow (i'll never forget how they "forgot" to salt the roads the night of the potomac primary). Neither maryland nor baltimore declared a snow emergency. Does that make us "tougher" than dc though?

Stolen photo from the associated press showing air force one shortly after it landed at andrews afb in maryland last night:
wow!

Old 12-20-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
At Noon today, Snow Plan DC goes into effect. At noon, loudspeakers will blare: ABANDON YOUR CAR N-O-W !
I hope you're kidding mike!

Old 12-20-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Well that's the MidWest, it's in their genes .

From NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin., HQ in downtown Silver Spring):
Ha Ha, we might dodge the white bullet again! ha ha.
you'all stay safe there, Season's Greetings from New Mexico.

Last edited by Hombre57; 12-20-2009 at 12:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC