Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2007, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 16,669 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone!
Now i lives in Niles, OHIO. I'd like to travel to Washington myself by driving. Anyon has the same experience? I'd like to learn some experiences from you.

the first place I'd like to visit is the white house. Any good places deserving to look ?

Is washington safe for a foreigner?

Can i find a parking place in night? If I can't find a inn,I will sleep in my car, so I have to find a safer place to park.

Thank you! Since i came to america, actually I find the people here are always kind,friendly and wish people in washington the same.

I know very little about the city,so I need your help.Thank you.

Just I posted this thread into washinton by mistake,haha....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 03:18 PM

16 posts, read 73,324 times
Let me answer...

1. There are quite a lot of places in DC that are worth a look. Putting all the negative things aside about DC, we do have some wonderful sights. Go see all the usual sights and be sure to trek up to the National Zoo and the area around it. Maybe you should put a nice early evening walk (right at sun down) across the river on the trail off the GW parkway as well as tour of Roosevelt Island.

2. Washington is safe for any people with proper street smarts. My concept of safety is somewhat distorted since I've been biking through quiet parts of town (Anacostia River Trail, H Street Corridor NE, et. al.)after midnight for many years now. To be on the safe side, have a mate with you.

3. Parking is quite easy at night on H, I, K, L, and M Streets NW between 20th and 13th Streets NW (and many other places). Be sure to look out for the green signs indicating the time restriction for the particular residential zone you're in. There are many parking garages in DC and many other tricks around parking. If you're interested, send me a message.

DC has an attitude much like a meandering stream it seems. One day everyone is glossy and disconnected, another day everyone is tired and grouchy, and some days people are all smiling and bubbly. I think I have that feeling because I work on K Street. K Street workers, do you hear me?

And you might want to consider the Swiss Inn (12th/Massachusetts Ave NW) it's a popular spot for one a many European travelers. I used to live next door to it!

And driving from Ohio to DC isn't hard at all, I've done it many times. Just hop on OH11 to I680 to I76.

Have a good time while you're here!

Old 05-15-2007, 08:00 PM

Thank you nbdinz!
another questions 1 Is the foreign driving license valid in washington dc?
2 are the roads tolled?

Have a nice day!

Old 05-16-2007, 03:41 AM

11 posts, read 46,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel ong View Post
Thank you nbdinz!
another questions 1 Is the foreign driving license valid in washington dc?
2 are the roads tolled?

Have a nice day!
When you say, "...is the foreign license valid?" From where do you reside? Canadian's are but all others should contact the State Dept. or your Country's Foreign Emby. Otherwise, you can be placed under arrest for driving without a valid license and thats not just for DC, either. Make no mistake, DC is not for you if you don't possess common street smarts (Safety in NUMBERS- do follow the other's advice and bring a friend or 2,3...). Now with that said, just know that crime happens to those who don't pay attention to their surroundings. Some areas of interest are The National Mall - no it's not stores. Actually, if you should come this way, most hotels carry site seeing brochures.

As for parking and sleeping in your car, I don't recommand it. We have plenty of police officers in the area, however, they all have different responsibilities so there is only 1 true department for the city. It would be better to say in a hotel on the outskirts (Rockville,MD-Arlington,VA)of the city and drive to your places of interest but know that traffic is a beast at rush hour. Look in to Mass Transit(called the Metro). You can park on their lots and take the train into town but they do stop by 2a.m. so make it an early night or stay in the city. Northwest and Southwest has more police protection and would be my 1st choice since your not familiar with Washingtonians.

As for tolls, If you use the turnpike, of couse there are but once in MD, your good. Va has toll roads in some places but not along your route unless you choose. If money is limited,as it is for most or if your on as budget - DC is not cheap and gas is higher in DC then in the surrounding area, try Gasprices.com. (VA is the cheapest but its no deal). Just do your research on the many website with regard to deals and come and enjoy.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:57 PM

Thank you Truth-B-told!
your advice are very helpful. Before starting, I will prepare the necessities well. Thank you everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth-B-told View Post
When you say, "...is the foreign license valid?" From where do you reside? Canadian's are but all others should contact the State Dept. or your Country's Foreign Emby. Otherwise, you can be placed under arrest for driving without a valid license and thats not just for DC, either. Make no mistake, DC is not for you if you don't possess common street smarts (Safety in NUMBERS- do follow the other's advice and bring a friend or 2,3...). Now with that said, just know that crime happens to those who don't pay attention to their surroundings. Some areas of interest are The National Mall - no it's not stores. Actually, if you should come this way, most hotels carry site seeing brochures.

As for parking and sleeping in your car, I don't recommand it. We have plenty of police officers in the area, however, they all have different responsibilities so there is only 1 true department for the city. It would be better to say in a hotel on the outskirts (Rockville,MD-Arlington,VA)of the city and drive to your places of interest but know that traffic is a beast at rush hour. Look in to Mass Transit(called the Metro). You can park on their lots and take the train into town but they do stop by 2a.m. so make it an early night or stay in the city. Northwest and Southwest has more police protection and would be my 1st choice since your not familiar with Washingtonians.

As for tolls, If you use the turnpike, of couse there are but once in MD, your good. Va has toll roads in some places but not along your route unless you choose. If money is limited,as it is for most or if your on as budget - DC is not cheap and gas is higher in DC then in the surrounding area, try Gasprices.com. (VA is the cheapest but its no deal). Just do your research on the many website with regard to deals and come and enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: