Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2010, 12:02 AM

5 posts, read 10,987 times

Advertisements

I'm due to graduate from undergrad in May, and as living with my family here in Dallas is driving all of us insane, am now looking to get out as soon as I graduate. I lived in DC from 2008-2009, foolishly thinking I could finish my degree (a mere 9 hours) online and to intern on Capitol Hill and look for jobs/paid internships to hold me over until I graduated. No dice. I had to move back home this past August, re-enroll in school, and have been missing the city ever since.

Considering that I know what went wrong last time (poor planning, poor budgeting, laziness, little to no networking, etc), I think I could manage a second try at living in DC, but I definitely need some advice from people who have been living there for years. I have a little money coming to me from school in a couple weeks, most of which I'm going to hang on to and save for the move. I also have a couple p/t job prospects lined up that will help with the saving, but I'd like to have a sound game plan for surviving the unemployed period (hoping it won't be too long).

The first time I lived there, food service was beneath me, sad to say, and by the time I realized it shouldn't have been, it was too late to find anything. I'm not making that mistake again. Also, I'm planning to join a couple professional associations in my field based in DC, and hope they will help me find something.

Anything else I should know? I'm thinking of doing a study abroad over the summer, to reward myself for finally finishing my degree (school's paying for it), and then moving to DC after that.

As for living arrangements...I can live with a roommate or two, but I prefer not to, as I'm just not the "shared living" type. I can manage, though. I have a few friends from my university living there already, and that I *may* be able to crash with for a little bit while I find a place. I prefer to get a studio that I don't have to share.

Anything and everything you guys can think of will be greatly appreciated. Also, should I start applying for jobs while I'm still in Dallas? When I was living in DC, I heard it was better to BE in DC while searching for a job, but I'd be willing to forgo the study abroad if it means I can get a job upon graduating. I'm not above traveling to DC for an interview. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 11:03 AM

Twenty reads, and no one has any advice? Come on people, help me out!

Old 01-08-2010, 11:30 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
Ok, here it goes. First off, I'd just start applying to anything that looks remotely interesting. It may be better to be in the area while applying, but that doesn't mean it hurts to apply now. Especially if you'd be interested in a government job, the process could take a few months anyway. In the meantime, study abroad or move here (even if you get an offer you could probably push the start date back a month or so), and get a part-time job waitressing or something just to help pay the bills.

As far as living, while you're on a budget, sublet/rent a room under a short-term lease. Just do it for while you're looking for jobs and you better know what you can/can't afford. Once you have steady income, then you can start looking for your own place and have a better chance of landing a good deal since you won't be desperate on time and can shop around.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:37 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,641 times
What field are you looking to get into?
Definitely start applying early.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:47 PM

Fed. government, international affairs, public policy, international development...that sort of stuff.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:53 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilett0s View Post
Fed. government, international affairs, public policy, international development...that sort of stuff.
As another user said, Government jobs are slow to respond and its a very long and tedious application process. You may want to consider looking into some of the thinktanks and nonprofits in the area---similar work, faster response rate.

For someone that is fresh out of school though, you may not be able to immediately jump into public policy and/or international development without the expertise. Have you ever considered consulting? Lots of those jobs here too

Old 01-08-2010, 11:01 PM

^I have a lot of internships in the field, not that it amounts to anything I'd call expertise, lol. The government jobs are at the top of the list, but I know to be realistic and to spread myself around to different sectors.

How much money should I try to come with? I can't save up THOUSANDS of dollars as I don't have full-time employment now.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:55 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
I'd say at least enough to support yourself for a couple of months (rent, food, everything), and try and get a part-time job ASAP.

As far as "real" job, apply to anything and everything of interest. I think I sent out about 25-30 applications before getting my first job, and maybe about 10 or so before getting my second (but I was working at the time and in no rush). A lot of agencies have the Federal Career Intern Program (FCIP) which would be interesting. Each agency does it differently, but it's essentially full-time employment for about 2 years, after which you are transitioned into "permanent" status. It's a good starting off point, since it emphasizes training and just learning about the opportunities available to you.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:37 AM

13 posts, read 25,363 times
The Fed govt always needs help,especially now with all the stimulus. If you are willing to take a position in support. The easiest way is to start as a temp. I used to work @ NIH/NCI I started as a temp and a week later was offered an FTE position. The Washington Post had an article with regard to stimulus money and what agencies are awarding priviate contractors in dollars to oversee the cash outlay. I'm sure those contractors need help. Look at the post online, I think the article was dated 12/09/2009. I guess you know from living in DC previously its a tough market to break into, especially fresh out of school and whatever is out there in your field of interest there maybe alot of others your'e competeing against. I guess thats better than food service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC