Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2010, 05:28 PM

256 posts, read 605,362 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move. Honestly, Nashville is my first pick. I'm a defense contractor in Huntsville, AL. Nashville doesn't offer that line of work...and, obviously, even moreso than Huntsville, the DC metro has nothing but defense jobs.

I know a job dictates living arrangements/decisions, but I like to have a mental "goal".

What areas in the metro would you recommend that offer renovated/updated/new condos/townhouses/rowhouses with at least 2bd and 2ba, with at least 1200 - 1400 sq ft and a parking spot?

Criteria: Safe, clean, pretty, walkable/landscaped...I'm not into "trendy" or college hangouts as much as i'm into being able to walk to "nice" stores (local and national) and "neighborhood" restaurants.

Does this exist in this price range? If so, what areas within DC, VA, MD would you suggest focusing my job and house search?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 07:13 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,639 times
There is a lot of federal contracting work located in the Reston / Herndon corridor in Northern Virginia. If you want to be closer to DC, you could find something in your range in Alexandria, Springfield, or Falls Church areas.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:19 PM

982 posts, read 3,486,327 times
Arlington, Falls Church, Vienna, Reston in VA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH74 View Post
I'm looking to move. Honestly, Nashville is my first pick. I'm a defense contractor in Huntsville, AL. Nashville doesn't offer that line of work...and, obviously, even moreso than Huntsville, the DC metro has nothing but defense jobs.

I know a job dictates living arrangements/decisions, but I like to have a mental "goal".

What areas in the metro would you recommend that offer renovated/updated/new condos/townhouses/rowhouses with at least 2bd and 2ba, with at least 1200 - 1400 sq ft and a parking spot?

Criteria: Safe, clean, pretty, walkable/landscaped...I'm not into "trendy" or college hangouts as much as i'm into being able to walk to "nice" stores (local and national) and "neighborhood" restaurants.

Does this exist in this price range? If so, what areas within DC, VA, MD would you suggest focusing my job and house search?

Old 09-15-2010, 09:39 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH74 View Post

Someone else will have to expound on DC and MD.

1. Find out the ZIP codes in a region.
2. Go on realtor.com and search in that ZIP code. See if there's even anything you'd like.

McLean: Very pricey.

Great Falls: Do they even allow townhouses here? Also, see McLean.

Clifton: I know the lot limit here is 5 acres. I also wouldn't want to walk here.

Fairfax Station: See Clifton but minus the 5 acre lot limit.

Vienna: 22180, There's some condos near the Vienna Metro that might provide that, but the 1200 square foot thing will limit your options somewhat. Plus those condos aren't really near anything. There's a COUPLE of townhomes in the town of Vienna right off Route 123 in your price range but ... they range between 900 and 1150 square feet. 22181, same thing, condos near the Metro that are walkable around each other but you need a car to get any shopping/dining done. 22182, surely you kid.

Fairfax: 22030 has some stuff in the Fair Lakes region. Not sure about the walkability to businesses though. 22031 has some stuff east of Fairfax City and south of I-66, but not sure about walkability to businesses. 22032, nothing under 20 years here. 22033, most of what I see is too small for your needs.

Reston: 20190 is out, everything under 10 years old is too small by a wide margin (as in under 1000 sf). 20191 is out too, there's hardly any new construction there. 20194 doesn't have anything under 10 years old, and it's the less safe part of Reston.

Falls Church: 22046, I see a 2BR unit in the Spectrum condo complex going for $385k. In the heart of Falls Church City. But ... it's 1150 square feet. 22043, nothing under 10 years old. Literally. 22042, there might be a few things you like. 22044, nothing under 10 years old. But that's Seven Corners, which gets dubbed one of Fairfax County's ghettos since we don't have enough real ghettos to keep us in practice.

Arlington: 22201, 22202, 22203, I'm assuming you don't want 600 sf. 22204, I see a few condos matching your needs (well, almost.) But Four Mile Run Drive is pretty ghetto by Arlington standards. 22205, surely you jest. 22206, 22207, 22209, no new development.

There's Alexandria (both in and out of the city proper), Oakton, Springfield, Lorton, Herndon, Chantilly, Burke, and Centreville to contend with too. But then you're getting far out into the suburbs. Some of the planned communities in Loudoun are fairly walkable, but lean more towards the national chains. Other communities in Loudoun are "cul de sac off of major artery" type developments. YMMV.

If you don't have a job lined up, I'd recommend renting in Warrenton, Winchester, Front Royal, or Fredericksburg while you line up interviews, work temp jobs, etc. Maybe Leesburg if you get a good temp gig. Berryville doesn't have many rental units, nor will the other small towns. Once you get a job then you can factor in things like commute, etc.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:11 AM

180 posts, read 667,095 times
I'm a shill for Downtown Silver Spring since moving here. I *** about it here on page 8: http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...ur-salary.html

It's metro accessible, and if you wanted to get a job at Ft. Meade, it's a reverse commute - you'd be going against the nasty traffic rather than with it. TONS of work there. McLean/Reston has lots of Defense contracting work, too, but the traffic is a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: