Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,241 times

Advertisements

My husband is starting a new job in DC this summer and we are contemplating a sudden move. I'm a lifelong New Yorker, so I'm used to stuffing two adults and two kids into 850 sq. feet, but I worry that DC may be out-of-the-frying-pan-and-into-the-fire, so to speak. I know almost nothing about the DC area so I really need some advice. Here is what we're looking for:

#1 Priority = good schools - My son will be entering 1st grade and I have a 2-year-old at home. I am a teacher in an excellent, PROGRESSIVE, private school in NYC and he has attended Kindergarten here with me, so education is very important to us. From reading these boards, I know that Montgomery County has a great rep., but is that just based on test scores? In an ideal world, his school would focus more on play, on experiential learning, on the social-emotional growth of the child, and less on high-pressured achievement. And while I'm fantasizing, I'd like a good student-teacher ratio and a strong arts program. Is this possible in a public school? We've been paying a discounted private school tuition (thanks to my job) but I won't be working next year and I'd rather try to get back into the public school system.

#2 - A liberal, foot-friendly, community-minded community - Despite what people say about NYC, I love my neighbors. They brought me meals when I had my second child. A bunch of local moms and I have a monthly poker game. My neighbors and I are redesigning the local playground together. I'm part of a fiction-writing group. I would love to have a little more green in my life, even a tiny yard I could spit the boys into, but it's more important to me to feel connected to a community. I don't want suburban sprawl or mega malls. Something "artsy" would be preferable to something corporate.

#3 - Less than an hour commute by public transportation to the Capitol. My husband is a big biker so he could bike to the metro or rail line (or to work if that were possible). He'd rather do a longer ride on one train than a bunch of transfers.

#4 - Money-wise, we would probably sublet out NYC place and rent at first to suss things out. I think we could pay up to $3500 for a three-bedroom, although we obviously prefer to pay less.

The crowds and dirt and price of NYC is driving me a little insane, but it's a place with soul and a place with roots for me. We wouldn't be contemplating this at all except the job opportunity is a HUGE one for my husband. Before this all went down, we were hatching a move to Portland Oregon (just to give you a sense of our vibe). Any help you can offer would be HUGELY appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 02:20 PM

187 posts, read 351,214 times
It's very difficult to get into the few good public school systems in the District. Montgomery County Maryland and Fairfax County Virginia have good schools. Real estate is expensive here and $3500 /mo close to a Metro stop may be difficult.

There are a lot of good private schools and very interesting neighborhoods in the District, but the cost is higher.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:32 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
My guess is that you'd like the Mount Pleasant neighborhood of DC, but it would be hard to find a 3-bedroom rental (it's mostly sales in that area right now) and, while there are some great private schools not too far away, I'm not so sure how people feel about Bancroft ES, the public school, these days.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:54 PM

184 posts, read 751,293 times
You might want to pare down your questions and try again. The way you've framed your post makes it difficult to help you.

As far as I am aware there are no PROGRESSIVE public elementary schools in the DC area. There are public Montessori programs that are part of the Arlington school district, and in every district there are good elementary schools which run on a more traditional model. I don't think there's enough traffic on this forum to give you direct experience with many elementary schools; if you want granular analysis there are better forums out there.

Thought Mt. Pleasant was a good suggestion if you can find a school you're happy with. Does suburban life hold any appeal for you? Takoma Park comes to mind. A lot of close in DC suburbs are not all that conventionally suburban, but you still lose enough density that it may be difficult to walk to much. "Walk to shops" in the DC area often means a fifteen to twenty minute walk, which is not quite like living in Manhattan.

If you can visit for a few days, you might be able to get a sense of the areas which appeal to you which would help a lot in focusing your search. Good luck.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:12 PM

28 posts, read 125,653 times
As to your priorities:

1 - there are no good public schools in DC; there are a couple of somewhat semi-decent schools in DC but only through K-1 grade and then you have to transfer them to private schools. Otherwise, consider Montgomery and Fairfax counties or private schools - there are quite a few very good ones in DC.

2. I think only Georgetown would fit your criteria in DC proper. OTherwise, suburbs.

3. Metro system is great in DC metropolitan area so if you end up in suburbs you will be fine as far as his commute. If you end up in the city, he will be in Capital under 20 min.

4. $3500 - will be hard to get a 3BR in DC proper; suburbs - more likely; it's pricey out here despite not being NYC.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:05 AM

228 posts, read 920,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yana60 View Post
As to your priorities:

2. I think only Georgetown would fit your criteria in DC proper. OTherwise, suburbs.
Sorry, but I think Georgetown would not be a good fit - not particularly "progressive", not affordable, and not on the metro.

You could stay in DC (Mt Pleasant, upper NW, Logan Circle, Takoma Park would all be choices). The K-6 schools are hit or miss, but I believe there are several pretty reasonable elementary schools available, including Charter schools. I see Oyster elementary recommended often. Keep in mind that you need to live near your neighborhood school in order to be given a slot there (I don't believe that rule applies to Charters).

But honestly the better schools are in the suburbs, and by the time the kids hit Jr High, you really don't want to be sending them to DC public schools. What about Del Ray Virginia? Easy commute, artsy neighborhood, fairly expensive but not outrageous. Takoma Park MD might work also, although I'm not sure about the schools. Bethesda would be a third choice.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:57 AM

28 posts, read 125,653 times
[quote=jm67;13018796]Sorry, but I think Georgetown would not be a good fit - not particularly "progressive", not affordable, and not on the metro.

You're right, strike Georgetown, I just know there is one good public school K-elementary school there, hence put it on the list and the area has lots of small kids and activities for them. Otherwise, yes, quite snobby and expensive; metro is less of an issue I think, there are a ton of metrobuses running to downtown/metro so public transport works very good.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:41 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yana60 View Post
4. $3500 - will be hard to get a 3BR in DC proper; suburbs - more likely; it's pricey out here despite not being NYC.
It's pricey here, but $3500 will still get you a lot. I see plenty of 3 BRs in desirable areas for that range.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:06 AM

4 posts, read 8,654 times
Default curious how this all panned out for you

I know this thread is old, but I'm curious where OP landed and how it's working out. I'm looking for EXACTLY that same criteria...only we are re-locating OUT of the Mt. Pleasant neighborhood of washington dc and looking for progressive public schools in either VA or MD with walkable neighborhood, same mortgage range, etc. we've saved up enough of a downpayment to be able to get into a $800-900k home and get the mortgage to a manageable range. Kids are in a DC public school now and while we are somewhat happy we see sooo much room for improvement. Looking for a public school district thats good from elementary through high school.

Probably should start a new thread...but will wait to see how this progresses.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-28-2015, 08:30 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeSuisArtiste View Post
I know this thread is old, but I'm curious where OP landed and how it's working out. I'm looking for EXACTLY that same criteria...only we are re-locating OUT of the Mt. Pleasant neighborhood of washington dc and looking for progressive public schools in either VA or MD with walkable neighborhood, same mortgage range, etc. we've saved up enough of a downpayment to be able to get into a $800-900k home and get the mortgage to a manageable range. Kids are in a DC public school now and while we are somewhat happy we see sooo much room for improvement. Looking for a public school district thats good from elementary through high school.

Probably should start a new thread...but will wait to see how this progresses.

Thanks in advance!

Look no further than Arlington County.

Your budget is solid, can get you easily a townhouse within short walking distance to the urban walkable core of N. Arlington, great public school system and DC is right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: