Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:49 PM

311 posts, read 844,170 times

Advertisements

lol@ Bajan-hope I seeya there then

and @ Jordan, I'm not Haitian Myself by birth, (she's not my biological grandmother) but she and her family are so I'm kind of an adopted haitian lol...my family lineage is WAYYY mixed up so I don't even know what I am fully lol but I'm southern (from GA) so that's all that counts in my eyes...in terms of the Haitian community here, I've met quite a few, lol they even have a facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8965003&v=wall

and in case you want to network professionally there is the Association of Haitian Professionals headquartered in D.C. (I put both the facebook pages and official website-the facebook page is usually more up to date though)
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...4374785&v=wall
http://www.geocities.com/haitianprof...ls/haiti1.html

Last edited by GaBison2007; 05-03-2010 at 08:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 04:08 PM

69 posts, read 162,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
By the way, there used to be a really good Caribbean party called "Fresh Fete Fridays" @ Republic Gardens on U Street. I don't think they've had those in a while, though. That was, in my opinion, one of the best Caribbean parties on the East Coast since there were so many Howard grad and undergrad students. There should be many more parties in the near future as DC Carnival is only a couple of months away.

If anyone has any info on good Caribbean parties, please share it on this discussion board.

Co-sign on wanting information. I've only been in this area for a little over a year (DC proper since September) and I want more of my island folks! I was born in Canada, but both parents are Bajans and my grandfather is Trini.

And Patty boom was great! Me and my non-Island friend went and really enjoyed it. It was rather civilized lolol!

Old 06-15-2010, 12:25 PM

29 posts, read 78,719 times
Quote:
By the way, there used to be a really good Caribbean party called "Fresh Fete Fridays" @ Republic Gardens on U Street. I don't think they've had those in a while, though. That was, in my opinion, one of the best Caribbean parties on the East Coast since there were so many Howard grad and undergrad students. There should be many more parties in the near future as DC Carnival is only a couple of months away.

If anyone has any info on good Caribbean parties, please share it on this discussion board.
Ditto. One of the best Carribean parties back in the late 90's and early 00's on the entire east coast..

Old 09-16-2011, 08:41 AM

21 posts, read 29,036 times
Well thanks for this post. Even though it's a year old I hope most of the info is still relevant. I'd like to check out some Caribbean parties in DC.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:59 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtempress View Post
Well thanks for this post. Even though it's a year old I hope most of the info is still relevant. I'd like to check out some Caribbean parties in DC.
I'll post stuff as I learn more about upcoming events. Of course all of the focus is on Miami now with their carnival coming up in a few weeks. I've cooled off the West Indian scene for a little while, but I have friends who are still very much on it. I get most of my info from these days. The best parties are usually promoted through word of mouth rather than over Trinji Jungle Juice and other media.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:17 AM

159 posts, read 339,190 times
The Caribbean "influence" in DC is not as strong as other cities like New YOrk and Miami...but I guess its still there.

Unfortunately, me and my Nigerian friend decided to attend the parade this summer. BIG MISTAKE. It was AWFUL. And when we arrived home, thats when I found out about the shootings.

I wish there were more restaurants and dance halls and stuff...but what can you do. I feel like the Caribbean groups aren't really united anyway. The stronger communities are East African. But I don't go to Maryland often so maybe I have a narrow view.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:37 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joiseygirl732 View Post
The Caribbean "influence" in DC is not as strong as other cities like New YOrk and Miami...but I guess its still there.
Only Toronto and London will give you the same vibe as NYC and Miami. Followed by Boston in a very distant 5th place. And then DC somewhere after that.

Quote:
Unfortunately, me and my Nigerian friend decided to attend the parade this summer. BIG MISTAKE. It was AWFUL. And when we arrived home, thats when I found out about the shootings.
This year's carnival was definitely an aberration. DC Carnival was always the best because it was safe, it had the prettiest girls, and had the most unregulated road march of all the other carnivals on the continent. But you know the way it goes...whenever people come together for a good time, the word gets out, and then ninjas come along and F it up for everyone else. I hope the old carnival comes back, but if it doesn't, I can at least say that I was a part of one of the most magical experiences in carnival history.

Quote:
I wish there were more restaurants and dance halls and stuff...but what can you do. I feel like the Caribbean groups aren't really united anyway. The stronger communities are East African. But I don't go to Maryland often so maybe I have a narrow view.
Au contraire. The problem is that West Indians are too united. Some would say clannish. If you go out to Lanham, you'll come across a bulk of the West Indian population in the metro region.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:54 PM

21 posts, read 29,036 times
Quote:
I'll post stuff as I learn more about upcoming events. Of course all of the focus is on Miami now with their carnival coming up in a few weeks. I've cooled off the West Indian scene for a little while, but I have friends who are still very much on it. I get most of my info from these days. The best parties are usually promoted through word of mouth rather than over Trinji Jungle Juice and other media.
Thanks BajanYankee ... yeah I used to frequent Trini Jungle Juice when I was living in ATL. But at least I'm not too far from my 2nd home NYC! ;-) Might go back in December for vacation...maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC