Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 01:35 PM

10 posts, read 47,244 times

Advertisements

My husband is being relocated to DC for a government job... I began searching online for houses and noticed adorable renovated homes in Mt Rainier MD. When I began to google info on Mt. Rainier... I found it didn't have the best reputation. I have a 4 month old son and would like an area that is safe to walk/run, etc. If Mt. Rainier is so bad... who are these people doing renovations... are they out to trick the out of towners like myself? lol! Any help would be appreciated. Our budget for a single family home would be about 350k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 09:21 PM

605 posts, read 2,160,213 times
Here is a Washington Post articles that might help you to get a sense for Mt. Rainier.

Mount Rainier seeks 'greener,' business-friendly downtown - washingtonpost.com

The author's stance seems to be that it's an up-and-coming area that might be pleasant for businesses and households willing to invest for the medium term.

Believe it or not, $350k for a single family home that close to DC is almost unheard of. Within seedy city neighborhoods, that amount will get you a small two bedroom condo.

The areas of PG County close to the Beltway have a bad reputation -- mostly for crime. Parts of the county border the poorest and most crime-infested parts of DC, so it's natural that the political border is completely porous when it comes to criminal acts.

I can't speak specifically to the statistics for Mt. Rainier in terms of safety. A feeling of safety is subjective anyway. Look up the various online sources for crime statistics and see if it fits within what you deem to be your comfort level.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:43 AM

228 posts, read 920,211 times
I don't think Mt Rainier is that bad. It's a bit broken-down and seedy, but not a hotbed of violent crime. And it does have an interesting Bohemian, artsy undercurrent trying to push past the liquor stores and check cashing places. But I'm also willing to bet that most people doing renovation work there don't have school-aged children. So that might be a factor for you...

Old 05-05-2010, 08:31 AM

741 posts, read 2,780,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm67 View Post
I don't think Mt Rainier is that bad. It's a bit broken-down and seedy, but not a hotbed of violent crime. And it does have an interesting Bohemian, artsy undercurrent trying to push past the liquor stores and check cashing places. But I'm also willing to bet that most people doing renovation work there don't have school-aged children. So that might be a factor for you...
Mt. Rainer is very much a sort of junior Takoma Park without the big money.. it's definitely got some granola in there... It's actually quite nice in places I know someone who has lived there for quite sometime.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:43 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,000 times
ahhhh Mt. Rainer, the old streetcar suburb.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:21 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,833 times
I'll echo what smakawhat said. Mr. Rainer feels a lot like Takoma Park. Are you going to be there long enough that you'll have to worry about schools? That would my biggest concern.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:40 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,772,201 times
Is Mt Ranier MD really that bad?

The incident that inspired The Exorcist took place there. Its soiled ground- a portal to something mere mortals only know of in their nightmares.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:21 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Is Mt Ranier MD really that bad?

The incident that inspired The Exorcist took place there. Its soiled ground- a portal to something mere mortals only know of in their nightmares.
Actually, it happened in Cottage City, MD

Old 05-05-2010, 12:15 PM

I don't think my husband and I would be here long enough to worry about schools. He's planning on taking a job that will get him into the next phase of his career... and hopefully will be able to move on after 2-3 years.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:17 PM

Any other suggestions about good areas that are affordable and easy to commute to pentagon area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: