Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 7,950 times

Advertisements

I've been browsing this forum and it looks like you fine people might be able to offer me some good advice. I recently took a position at the Naval Research Lab (zip code: 20375) and my girlfriend took a position at the FDA in College Park, MD (zip code: 20740).

We are looking for a modern, fun, and safe apartment complex that would be somewhere with somewhat equal commutes for the both of us. Furthermore, since the FDA is on a metro line, we would like to find a place that is within walking distance to the metro.

We would like to keep the monthly rent below around $2300. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 07:13 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,957,399 times
Well both places are on the Green line, Naval Lab (Anacostia) and FDA (College Park). So I would look into something thats halfway between the two, Georgia Ave-Petworth, Columbia Heights or U street. You'll be able to find a good and safe apartment for the price you gave, maybe even less. Heres some just to put out there:

Northwest DC Apartments - Park Place DC Apartments – Petworth Apartments
Petworth Apartments | The Residences at Georgia Avenue | Washington DC Metro Apartments
Kenyon Square - Washington DC Loft Condominiums - Luxury Condos
Columbia Heights Apartments - Highland Park At Columbia Heights Metro - DC Luxury Apartments
Welcome to The Ellington Apartments

Old 05-05-2010, 08:20 PM

845 posts, read 2,831,719 times
Correction -- the Naval Lab is not really "on the Green line" - it's about 4 miles from Anacostia station, and about 3 miles from Congress Heights station. From Anacostia station you can ride the connecting metrobus "route #A" to the corner of Martin Luther King Avenue S.W. and Chesapeake Street near the Lab entrance, however you may be uncomfortable going thru that neighborhood. Metro - Home page

Old 05-05-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
Correction -- the Naval Lab is not really "on the Green line" - it's about 4 miles from Anacostia station, and about 3 miles from Congress Heights station. From Anacostia station you can ride the connecting metrobus "route #A" to the corner of Martin Luther King Avenue S.W. and Chesapeake Street near the Lab entrance, however you may be uncomfortable going thru that neighborhood. Metro - Home page
Correction -- The Naval Research Lab is 3.49 miles from Anacostia Station

and besides same difference, all he/she has to do is catch the A4 or A5 from Anacostia Station and it'll take him/her right to the facility. Hell there might even be a direct shuttle.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 7,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
Well both places are on the Green line, Naval Lab (Anacostia) and FDA (College Park). So I would look into something thats halfway between the two, Georgia Ave-Petworth, Columbia Heights or U street. You'll be able to find a good and safe apartment for the price you gave, maybe even less. Heres some just to put out there:

Northwest DC Apartments - Park Place DC Apartments – Petworth Apartments
Petworth Apartments | The Residences at Georgia Avenue | Washington DC Metro Apartments
Kenyon Square - Washington DC Loft Condominiums - Luxury Condos
Columbia Heights Apartments - Highland Park At Columbia Heights Metro - DC Luxury Apartments
Welcome to The Ellington Apartments
Columbia Heights and the rest on this list are crazy north of NRL. Google Maps says it'll be like over an hour commute.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:01 PM

660 posts, read 1,705,636 times
You could live in one of the new buildings near the Navy Yard station near Nationals Park. That would shorten your commute, but lengthen your girlfriend's, and it's not as interesting of a neighborhood as Columbia Heights.

The problem is your work location. That said, I wouldn't use google maps to determine your commuting time. How long does WMATA (the transity authority) say it'll take to get to your office from the Columbia Heights Metro?

Old 05-06-2010, 02:09 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxidiver View Post
Columbia Heights and the rest on this list are crazy north of NRL. Google Maps says it'll be like over an hour commute.
Yeah, it would be a long commute from Coluimbia Heights or Petworth. From Columbia Heights, you'd have to fight traffic to get to the 9th Street Tunnel, which takes you to 295. That's not an easy feat. For a commute to College Park, I guess you'd cut over to North Capitol St, run that to New Hampshire, and then ride that out the rest of the way. Either way, that's a long, annoying commute.

Neither place is close to Metro. The College Park metro station is a hike from the campus and I'm just not a fan of taking a train and then a bus in one trip. So, I'd recommend someplace like those Camden apartments in Largo. You'd have to drive, but I don't think Metro's the best option anyway.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:26 PM

^ Largo is even further!!

and that commute from Columbia Heights to College Park is short, and the FDA building is right across the street from college park station. as for the Naval Research lab, if driving, hit 14th street down to 395 then go on to south capitol then take 295, if taking metro, well I already said how to get there. Point blank Columbia Heights/Petworth/U street are the ideal locations for this.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:41 PM

65 posts, read 201,540 times
I think it depends a lot on who's driving to work. If you're driving to work, I'd definitely agree with the other poster that the new developments down by the ballpark are a good fit. Easy to jump on 295 from there and although it lengthens her commute a bit, it's still better than a lot of other commutes. I'd not want to try to drive from U St./Col. Heights to NRL daily. Navy Yard to College Park via Green line is roughly 30 mins give or take, which isn't awful, but isn't fantastic either. Plus it ends up being about 8 bucks a day.

The ballpark area hasn't really been built up yet in terms of nightlife and retail, but you're a quick metro ride from downtown and a short drive from Potomac Yards/Pentagon City there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: