Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,833 times

Advertisements

Which town has the lower property taxes, Ridgefield WA or La Center WA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 10:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Call Peter and ask him, he can provide you a detailed sheet with the difference and rates between taxing districts (which vary widely in some cases, especially when dealing with municipalities). You can find significant differences by moving across the street (I.e. my neighbor pays 20% different JUST due to taxing district)
Assessment & GIS - Clark County Washington

These are both in Clark County so expect to be raped, robbed and thrown to the wolves.

(mine went from $800 / yr to $12000 on a joint that I have less than $100k into). I just bought a similar one 30 seconds away in a BETTER county. Taxes are 1/12th my daily obligation to Clark County. Of course no one will buy my Clark County house when they can drive 30 seconds and save $33/day (10x what I spend on food per day). I fought my taxes several times, and in each case they threatened to "Get me next year" which they did. Statistically, mine would raise 17% after I fought assessment, while 46 of my neighbors raised 3%. (one other person fought and theirs went up 20%).

Do yourself a favor and head to Cowlitz County. (~ 10min)

Old 02-09-2012, 09:01 PM

161 posts, read 730,932 times
i agree 100%, clark county is crazy!!! they stick it to home owners!. i will never buy a home in clark county!!!

Old 02-09-2012, 09:06 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyusa View Post
i agree 100%, clark county is crazy!!! they stick it to home owners!. i will never buy a home in clark county!!!
Agreed.

I lived there for many years but could no longer afford to keep my home outside of Battle Ground because of the property taxes.

I now live in Lewis County.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:51 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I've found Property Taxes to be the real wild card for retirement planning...

I was dumbfounded when my assessment increased 80% over what I had paid for the place the previous year and I paid almost the assessed price on a home that had been on and off the market several times.

When I-747 was over turned... it was open season on property owners...

You are very wise to research the tax implications ahead of time...

Old 02-10-2012, 10:17 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've found Property Taxes to be the real wild card for retirement planning...

Agreed! I am in Clark county and never expected more than a 30% increase in only five years... and the idiots keep voting for questionable increases!

Old 02-10-2012, 01:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Agreed! I am in Clark county and never expected more than a 30% increase in only five years... and the idiots keep voting for questionable increases!
My commercial property in Vancouver climbed 100% in valuation this yr alone. It is BARE land, no chance for generating income revenue...I'm sunk (again)...

WA is in a property tax crisis, and rural counties that have been getting timber repayment dollars are getting hit, and have very inexperienced county commissioners who have NO CLUE how to run a business, much less a government business. Uh... "lets raise taxes, lets, pass bond levies, lets cut services..."

NOT... Where are our cash flow leaks, what can I get done more inexpensively, How can I partner with local businesses, Government, and talent to IMPROVE services?!(often the unemployed... laid off from county,,,or retirees from business could SOLVE the crisis for the goofy politicians who can't see past their next election).

We need a new (old) political system... like our founding fathers... VOLUNTEER CIVIL leadership from PROVEN successful businesses / farmers /entrepreneurs. Naturally occurring term limits due to the need to get back to WORK.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:35 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
My commercial property in Vancouver climbed 100% in valuation this yr alone. It is BARE land, no chance for generating income revenue...I'm sunk (again)...

WA is in a property tax crisis, and rural counties that have been getting timber repayment dollars are getting hit, and have very inexperienced county commissioners who have NO CLUE how to run a business, much less a government business. Uh... "lets raise taxes, lets, pass bond levies, lets cut services..."

NOT... Where are our cash flow leaks, what can I get done more inexpensively, How can I partner with local businesses, Government, and talent to IMPROVE services?!(often the unemployed... laid off from county,,,or retirees from business could SOLVE the crisis for the goofy politicians who can't see past their next election).

We need a new (old) political system... like our founding fathers... VOLUNTEER CIVIL leadership from PROVEN successful businesses / farmers /entrepreneurs. Naturally occurring term limits due to the need to get back to WORK.

Very sad but true...

I have my home rented because of employment requirements...

The Property Tax is 60% of the rent... manager gets another 10% and I'm in the hole many thousands each year...

The thing is my taxes have nearly doubled which could not have happened without tossing I-747

The icing on the cake is now my land is wet land buffer which means building or expanding isn't an option...

When I contacted my local elected official his response was anything buy sympathetic... in a nutshell he said we will all have to dig deeper to keep government afloat.

Welcome to Washington

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-10-2012 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-10-2012, 05:18 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
When I contacted my local elected official his response was anything buy sympathetic... in a nutshell he said we will all have to did deeper to keep government afloat.

Welcome to Washington
Meanwhile, those politicians never have to own up to what they did to our lovely state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington