Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2012, 12:15 PM

19 posts, read 55,371 times

Advertisements

We're considering a job here--if we were to take the job we would relocate. Where would you buy a home? Any areas of town you would suggest or avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 11:11 AM

No suggestions?

Old 06-25-2012, 02:21 PM

850 posts, read 3,717,131 times
Hi Gentah, the more specific you can be with your questions and the more information the more we can help--price range, what your expectations are for you home and the area it's in, etc. Here are a couple threads that might offer more info:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...-puyallup.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...rict-info.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...here-live.html

I can't say there is really an area to avoid in Puyallup. It has a nice little downtown, which has the Puyallup Fair every September. Nice country property can be bought. Overall, though, my impression of Puyallup is a burgeoning suburb. The main highway through there is 512, which sees heavy traffic often. The country roads simply cannot handle the traffic and the city doesn't seem to be doing much to help with that situation.

I personally would avoid Meridian because it is a nightmare to drive on and I wouldn't have any interest living around it. Also avoid South Hill. Sumner, Lake Tapps, and Bonnie Lake might also be areas to consider if you're working in Puyallup.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:38 PM

863 posts, read 2,993,071 times
You might want to look into Edgewood/North Hill. It used to be part of unincorporated Puyallup. It not as congested as South Hill and is centrally located with access to several freeways and highways.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:22 PM

34 posts, read 91,127 times
My parents live in Puyallup on the South Hill and I like it there. Lots of things around, it's affordable and you don't have to travel too far for whatever you need. Lots of trees in amongst the homes. Quite nice for suburbia (you could do worse).

I'm not sure why people always say to avoid South Hill. It's a nice area and you can avoid Meridian traffic by taking the upgraded Canyon Rd. (which is wider and has fewer lights than Meridian) or 122nd.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:51 AM

It would be nice to have an easy commute to downtown. I would prefer newer houses (built since 1990 or so) and less than $300,000. I don't really know enough about the area to know what I need to know--if that makes sense! Thanks for the additional ideas, I'll read through the other threads.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:50 AM

9 posts, read 40,457 times
You will find houses in that price range, easily. Probably a ton of them.

We live on South Hill and have for 11 years...raising 4 kids here. It's a nice place and is extremely affordable. I can't say it has charm or anything cutesy about it, but it's a pleasant suburb with a good sense of community. We are involved with youth sports, the Y, co-op preschool, and our neighborhood public school, and we have made great friends in all of them. Downtown Puyallup IS cute and has a lot of nice summer activities--concerts in the park, and a great Farmers' Market that runs 5-6 months of the year.

South Hill also attracting a lot of new commercial development. There is a slightly higher than normal average household income on South Hill and I think that pays off in terms of businesses locating here. Most of Pierce County comes here to shop, which is probably part of the traffic issue, particularly on the weekend.

Someone mentioned Bonney Lake, which is an absolute traffic nightmare IMO. I would take Meridian any day over 410. There is also a 6000-plus home master plan community being built in B.L. that has virtually no realistic ingress/egress and is going to take over their already crowded roads.

Good luck, and I'll try to remember to visit this thread again in case you have any more questions!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington