Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 04:44 AM

60 posts, read 289,025 times

Advertisements

I'm one of those pesky Californian's who've had it with the congestion and real estate prices - AND lack of real nature! But of course I want it all. A few years back I ALMOST bought a house by Lake Sammamish, but met my husband and backed out.

Now we have a family, 2 small kids, and two big dogs. We are very active, my husband loves trailrunning, and surf skies. I love mountain biking and hiking. With those interests and now with kids, we'd like to live outside a city (Seattle?). My dream home is surrounded by forest, and is waterfront. Neighbors are not too close, but trails are within walking distance. It sure would be nice if skiing wasn't too far away either. We both down hill and cross country ski.

So the list goes:
Fairly close to a city (30 min?)
Home surrounded by forest
Waterfront, lake, ocean river?
Trail access within walking distance
Not too pricy
- I'm looking at homes around 400K for a 4+ bdrm(take or give)

I've been to the Olympic Peninsula once, and LOVED the nature. My only concern is the weather - rain and wind. I've been living in CA too long that I might get a weather shock moving there. We are considering Oregon too, but there's something attractive about living closer to Vancouver BC (have friends there).

Any thoughts on a place we can call home? I'm really eager to find the one place I want to raise my young kids, and we'll probably relocate within a year.

Very grateful for all ideas. I'm going up over Veterans Day to do a field trip! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 07:00 AM

223 posts, read 1,274,974 times
There is nowhere, and I mean NOWHERE, within 30 minutes of Seattle where you are going to find a waterfront house for $400,000. You'd be lucky to find one for less than $800,000. $400k won't even buy you the average home in King County any more. It just topped $500,000.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:21 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,911,665 times
Even in outlying Spokane areas, waterfront homes are at least $500,000. You might be able to get secondary waterfront with lake access and a view....

Old 10-15-2007, 07:50 AM

Default One can dream, right?

It's just a wish list - and the more of these I hit the better. I currently own a home for $750K, but would like to free up disposable income for other things. But... if the right home came along, I'd consider it. So I still appreciate any feedback on a location that is as close as I can get to my top priorities.

Thanks!!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:55 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,371,813 times
Bellingham

Old 10-15-2007, 08:10 AM

Bellingham sure looks beautiful. There was a post from a very disgruntled native of Bellingham on this forum that made me think twice - outsiders did not seem too welcome. Being that we love Canada, Bellingham would be a natural choice It sounds as if real estate prices has been driven up here though - but I now think we really should take a trip up here too during our visit next month. Thank you, Sean98125!!

Old 10-15-2007, 04:48 PM

11 posts, read 72,078 times
Bellingham is gorgeous - water everywhere, lots of hiking trails and parks, I think you have to be very careful when reading anyone's posts where they seem to be "bashing" a town or city. Oftentimes, I find, their viewpoint is so skewed from some personal issues they must have in life (anywhere they may move). Bellingham is NOT very diverse or cosmopolitan, but it would have a lot of the outdoor opportunities you are looking for and plenty of amenities.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:51 PM

19 posts, read 90,067 times
Possibly Gig Harbor? I've seen lakefront homes in Northern Gig Harbor for around 300k.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:00 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
There aren't many trails in/near/around Gig Harbor. The opening of the new Narrows Bridge has really jump started the development----shopping, etc. Property values are going up and so is the population. It's a nice area, but I think the peace and quiet is short-lived in the long run. I say within the next 5 years Gig Harbor will be struggling with the same overpriced, overcrowded issues as most Western Washington communities. If employment isn't an issue for you, I'd head out further on the Peninsula side----closer to Pt Townsend or Port Angeles.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:04 PM

8 posts, read 23,230 times
Have you considered Olympia or surrounding areas of Washington. About 30 minutes to Tacoma and 45 to Seattle. It has plenty of waterfront options (lakes, Puget Sound) and isn't too far from skiing (though not as close as Lake Sammamish). It is more affordable than King or Pierce counties.

I also agree with the Gig Harbor and Bellingham options. Being closer to Vancouver BC would sure be nice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington