Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most beautiful natural feature(s) in Washington? (Top 7 wins)
Mount Rainier National Park 19 73.08%
Olympic National Park 15 57.69%
Olympic Coast (Olympic NP) 8 30.77%
Olympic Mountains (Olympic NP) 8 30.77%
Temperate Rainforests (Olympic NP) 10 38.46%
North Cascades National Park 13 50.00%
Mount Shuksan (North Cascades NP) 2 7.69%
Mount Baker (North Cascades Region) 5 19.23%
Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument 14 53.85%
Ape Caves (Mount St. Helens NVM) 0 0%
Mount Adams Area (Wilderness) 3 11.54%
Glacier Peak (Wilderness) 2 7.69%
Mount Stuart (Alpine Lakes Wilderness) 0 0%
Goat Rocks (Wilderness) 2 7.69%
Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area 12 46.15%
Snoqualmie Falls 13 50.00%
Enchantment Lakes (Alpine Lakes Wilderness) 3 11.54%
Palouse Falls State Park (Feature of the Channeled Scablands) 5 19.23%
The Channeled Scablands (larger region of Columbia Basin) 2 7.69%
San Juan Islands (National Historic Park, National Monument, and State Parks) 15 57.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 11:08 PM

68 posts, read 308,698 times

Advertisements

When voting, please limit your choices to just seven. Thanks!

I’ve been looking around for a list for Washington, and I’ve yet to find one. Yet there are three national parks, 2 national monuments, and much more in this amazing and diverse state! Washington is incredibly rich in natural beauty, and arguably the prettiest state in the contiguous United States. What does everyone think the "Seven Natural Wonders of Washington State" should be?

Here is a list of beautiful places in Washington to consider:

-Mount Rainier National Park (Mount Rainier, the highest mountain in the Cascades, standing at 14,411 feet. Prominence: 13,212')
-Olympic National Park
-Olympic Coast
-Olympic Mountains (Mount Olympus, standing at 7,979', Prominence: 7,838')
-Temperate Rainforests
-North Cascades National Park
-Mount Shuksan (Part of North Cascades National Park) (Elevation: 9,131', Prominence: 4,409')
-Mount Baker (In the North Cascades Area. Elevation: 10,781', Prominence: 8,812')
-Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument (Elevation: 8,366', Prominence: 4,606')
-Ape Caves (one of the longest lava tubes in the world)
-Mount Adams (At 12,276 feet, it's the second highest mountain in the state of Washington, and the second largest volcano in terms of eruptive volume in the entire Cascade Range, after Mount Shasta. Prominence: 8,117')
-Glacier Peak (most isolated of the five major stratovolcanoes of the Cascade Volcanic Arc in Washington. Elevation: 10,541', Prominence: 7,497')
-Mount Stuart (It is the second highest non-volcanic peak in the state, after Bonanza Peak and tenth-highest overall. Elevation: 9,416', Prominence: 5,354')
-Goat Rocks (a series of rugged volcanic peaks in the Cascade Range, between Mount Rainier and Mount Adams. Elevation: 8,182', Prominence: 3,665'. The Goat Rocks volcano once reached heights of up to 12,000 feet, at tall as Mount Adams.)
-Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area
-Snoqualmie Falls
-Enchantment Lakes (Alpine Lakes Wilderness, East-central Cascades)
-Palouse Falls State Park (carved out by the Mizzoula Ice Floods).
-The Channeled Scablands (carved out by the Mizzoula Ice Floods).
-San Juan Islands

Here is my choice for the “7 Natural Wonders of Washington State:”

1. Mount Rainier National Park- centered around the tallest mountain in the Cascade Range, Rainier, and encompasses the largest glacial system in the lower 48 states. The park was the fourth national park to ever be designated in the U.S. and is renowned for some of the best wildflower displays found in the entire Cascade Range.

2. The Olympic Rainforests and Coastline- one of largest temperate rainforests in the world, and reaches down to the rugged Olympic Coastline, the longest stretch of undeveloped coastline in the lower 48 states. It resides in the Olympic National Park, which is unique in the U.S. for featuring three types of parks, the rugged shoreline, the lush rainforest, and the rugged mountains reaching heights of over 7,000 feet high!

3. Palouse Falls State Park and the Channeled Scablands- Its size and splendor make Palouse Falls one of the most scenic and impressive waterfalls in the Channeled Scablands and all of Washington, its vertical cliffs scoured clean by a flood unleashed when a large glacial lake drained. They are a geologically unique erosional feature in the U.S. state of Washington.

4. North Cascades National Park- Boasts more glaciers than any other U.S. park outside of Alaska. Glaciers carve their way down deep gorges carved out between granite peaks amid peaks with names like Forbidden, Terror, and Liberty Bell. This area of jagged, hard-crested peaks is known as the “American Alps.”

5. Mount Adams- Washington’s “Forgotten Giant” is the largest volcano in the Pacific Northwest and the second tallest in the state, making Adams one of the most impressive mountains in the Cascades. It is topped by 11 icy glaciers, the largest is the Adams Glacier, which cascades down from the summit icecap in a series of very impressive icefalls.

6. San Juan Islands- an archipelago consisting of a staggering 172 islands as well over 300 miles of shoreline carved out by a huge glacier that carved out the entire Pudget Sound lowland. The islands are famous for their resident pods of Orca whales and for their inspiring views of the mountains and sound in all directions.

7. Mount St. Helens- Erupted at 8:32 Sunday morning, May 18, 1980, and blew down or scorched 230 square miles of forested land. The land is still recovering and life now flourishes in this healing and dynamic land. Mount St. Helens is located in the Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. Mount St. Helens will very likely become Washington’s fourth national park—it certainly deserves it!

What do you think should make the list/be omitted?

Last edited by FlutterTrees; 01-16-2014 at 11:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 11:20 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
That's a pretty good list.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:15 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Nice post. Thanks for the pics. And excellent variety of options. Ain't this a great state?

Although I think it's part of the "channeled scablands", I'm adding a pic of Dry Falls specifically. And don't forget the Selkirk Mountains in NE WA.

Last edited by PS90; 01-17-2014 at 07:26 AM..

Old 01-17-2014, 09:00 AM

385 posts, read 1,112,339 times
That's a good list, Flutter. I would personally substitute the Columbia Gorge for Mt. Adams, but I agree with everything else.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:29 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
Great list. One of the geologic features seldom noted but very impressive are the 'dry falls' in Grant county.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:42 AM

489 posts, read 963,552 times
Neat idea for a thread. Turn it into a book, sell it to tourists. Win!

-Mike

Old 01-17-2014, 01:28 PM

320 posts, read 480,382 times
All of the above...and more!

Old 01-18-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Nice post. Thanks for the pics. And excellent variety of options. Ain't this a great state?
Thanks! This state is awesome, would love to move there someday. I've always had a passion for Washington state, even if I actually live in Happy Valley, which is in the general Portland area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post

Although I think it's part of the "channeled scablands", I'm adding a pic of Dry Falls specifically. And don't forget the Selkirk Mountains in NE WA.

Yeah, I considered the Selkirk Mountains too, but didn't include them since most of the range is in BC and Idaho. Beautiful pics though! I would love to explore the Selkirk Mtns too, but it's so far from where I live! If I ever go to Spokane, I'll be sure to check those mountains out. I can't believe I forgot about Dry Falls too.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
Neat idea for a thread. Turn it into a book, sell it to tourists. Win!

-Mike
Thanks! You know what? I think I'm gonna do it! Washington is such a beautiful state, it needs a book like that! Here in Oregon I never see anything about travelling Washington, it really sucks too. I always have to head up to Vancouver, WA to get books/maps of Washington. People here in Portland never seem to realize just how beautiful Washington is. They know more about Crater Lake, the Oregon coast, and Mt Hood than Washington's Mt Rainier, Olympic, and North Cascades national parks it seems. I keep encountering this attitude that "Oregon is the prettiest state" in the west---though most who have said this have never seen much of Washington outside of I-5, yet at the same time have been all over Oregon.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:44 AM

Here's the current ranking (as of 1/22/14) according to how everyone voted:

1. Olympic National Park (11+5+7+7 = 30 points)
2. Mount Rainier National Park (13 points)
3. San Juan Islands (12 points)
4. Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument (10 points)
5. Snoqualmie Falls (10 points)
6. North Cascades National Park (9 points)
7. Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area (8 points)

When combining the Olympic Coast (5 pts), Olympic Mountains (7 pts), and Olympic Rainforest (7 pts), Olympic National Park wins by a landslide! However, Mount Rainier has the most votes if each poll choice was counted separately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington