Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 06:58 PM

42 posts, read 127,815 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend companies that have decent laborer or factory type of jobs within two hours of Seattle?

Background:
My husband and I are looking to relocate to Washington in the next year or two. We'd like to live within 2 hours of Seattle (thinking of Centralia area). We're moving because my husband's ex relocated there with his daughter, and my husband very much wants to be an active part of her life (we see her once a month right now). We also love the area and usually spend several weeks every year there. Yes, we prefer gloomy clouds over sunshine.

I'm a teacher and I have a couple of online businesses to keep us going (a little) wherever we go. Even if I can't find a teaching job, I can always substitute teach. My husband on the other hand has spent the last 8 years as a gold miner, and he doesn't have any education outside of the mining industry. His work history and background are stellar. He has 12 years of solid experience...and no criminal background...but his skills are so specific to mining. We are worried he may never find another comparable job.

I'm just looking for a list of companies for him to research. It's hard to "weed" out the con artist companies online. I like hearing from real people who live in the area.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 01:46 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,761,932 times
I am not aware of any active gold mines in Western WA (or other mines for that matter). It's so hard on the environment, I can't imagine large scale mining being allowed so close to the Puget Sound. Where are you living now?

Old 02-28-2015, 11:51 AM

42 posts, read 127,815 times
We live in Nevada now. We know there are no gold mines.. that's why I'm inquiring about other labor type of jobs...good companies to work for, etc.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:26 PM

8,075 posts, read 8,392,336 times
Lots of sand, gravel, and stone pits and quarries. There are lead and zinc mines in Pend Oreille. There is only one active gold mine (Kinross) in Ferry. There are a few gemstone mines. See:

Active Mines in Washington

If he has any special skills (explosives, heavy equipment operation, foreman/supervisor), they could be transferable.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,769 posts, read 58,209,379 times
lots of unemployed coal miners in Centralia, WA.
Centralia Coal Mine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is a decent area, so a good worker will find a good job. There may be some benefits to checking with the local Worksource folks for available jobs that miners have retrained for. There are some Manf places as well as trucking and food / feed processing jobs that should pay a skilled wage. Olympia is building south, and is within commute distance.

Ideally get a job with county or state road maint. (or school district)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington