Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2017, 05:26 PM

3 posts, read 1,506 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I travel for a world wide magazine for scheduled photo shoots and then write up articles on what we shot. We stayed at a Vancouver WA hotel where we have stayed many times in the past. This time when we returned from our 10 hour shoot we came back to an opened door where our belongings had been gone through and items were taken. The manager said she looked at the footage and didn't see anything but the maid going in and out. Whom ever it was cherry picked through our belongings and stole valuable items and prescription medicine and had the knowledge on what were antibiotics but not heart medication. The person used our Mercury Marine duffel bag to place the items in and dumped its original content into a Trader Joe's reusable bag for us.

We always double check the door when we leave and the only person to have been in our room was our maid. The hotel manager states that she talked to the maid and the maid denies any wrong doing. Even thought the manager says she will call me back not once has she done so and I get the feeling she is a very weak manager as she doesn't really know what to say to me.

When I asked about checking to see if a room key other than ours or the maids was used the manager told me they do not track the keys that way.

In Washington state are there any laws that protect hotels from being liable from this kind of theft on our part. She says this is the first time this has happened but I get the feeling she is just saying that to avoid issues.

Any advice would be great, feeling a bit frustrated over the whole ordeal.

Ross
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 05:28 PM

226 posts, read 303,462 times
Did you call the cops? That would be the first thing to do.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:35 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,884,696 times
It's a police matter first and foremost, allow them to investigate.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:41 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
+1 that is not a customer service issue. That's a police issue. Though I wouldn't hold out hope for much of a resolution.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:15 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,890,692 times
Most modern hotels today can track when doors are opened and closed. I would be curious if this was one of the big chains or something less. The reason I ask is the most up-to-date hotels can easily track entrances and exits. Most offer photo/video of their hallways. Sure, some hotel personnel can enter, but it would seem they would be quickly found out. As to your particular instance, I agree, police should be the first call. Then obviously follow up with the hotel management.

However, from my years of travel, there are some common sense things you can do. Don't leave cash or prescription drugs in your room when you leave. Turn on the tv and put up the "do not disturb" sign. If you can't take some of your valuables, use the safe deposit box. I know these are basic things, but so many don't follow them.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:34 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
You didn't report it to police and press charges....why?

I would only leave valuables in a locked bag. If it's a soft bag, a determined thief can always slash the bag, but it's better than nothing. When I travel abroad, I take a hard-case bag with a built-in combination lock, and use it as a safe. (Sure someone could steal the whole bag, but no one has; it would be too obvious.) Just mentioning, for your future travel, OP.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:13 PM

Thanks everyone, the second we returned to the room I called 911. The value amount was only 1200 and I am not too concerned with getting all that back. What I am concerned about is the lack of interest that the manager has shown. After talking to a few people that have had the same thing happen say there is really nothing you can do without lawyer costs. One said they paid a lawyer and still did not getting all of it resolved just shows me that hotels have too many laws that protect them.

When I told the manager that the maid left the door open and it was their fault she didn't care. Lesson learned I guess. I am just really glad we decided to take our two laptops with us and some of the more expensive gear that wasn't needed with us. It could have been way worst, we have left 20K worth of gear in our rooms in the past, not anymore, the trunk or backseat might be safer.

I asked about the key card tracking and they said they don't keep track of that even though the model on the door holds the info for 30 days. I am pretty sure she is involved in the whole thing and if not she is protecting someone that works for her.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:16 PM

We called 911 the minute we returned to the room. We have stayed at his hotel about 20 times in the last year so I guess we got comfortable. We won't be staying there or the chain any longer.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:37 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,890,692 times
I earlier mentioned putting the "do not disturb" sign up. I would like to make it clear this needs to be combined with some noise from the room, such as a TV or radio, which can be heard outside the door. The DND sign alone can indeed be an invitation for thieves to try and enter. I always leave lights on when I leave, too. I know hotels discourage this for their obvious cost-saving reasons, but all these things can add up to a safer hotel experience. For the most part, though, hotels are safe and I have never had a robbery in 40 years of frequent travel. (except for leaving a phone charger in a Vegas hotel, that was never found!, but that is another story). Phone chargers are the most frequent lost (or stolen) items from hotel rooms.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:42 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
We use the safe.

Pretty much only go 5 star places, but always use the safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: