Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,676 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, new here.

I'm currently located in a small city of 20,000 in Central Wisconsin.
My end-goal has always been to move to Washington but I put these plans on hold for schooling.
I am 25, a single male.
I am in this area attending a community college for nursing, and I have 2 jobs as a CNA with the elderly and in a behavioral health setting.
Because of how small this area is, my program has a large waiting list and graduation would take years.
I am also a gay male, and have been single for years/ feel out of place because while it is accepting, there is no community and I am generally the outlier anywhere I am.
I have been feeling suffocated and I think it's time to listen to my gut instincts.
I have previously lived in Florida twice (Ocala), Chicago, and Milwaukee.

The two places that stuck out during my research are Tacoma, and Spokane.
I have known a friend living in Spokane for years but they mentioned that it's gone downhill...
But I have also read this concerning Tacoma, and wanted some insight from anyone who lives there/ a comparison. If anything I would also be open to suggestions of other areas as well that would suite my life or budget better.

I am really just looking for a decent sized area that has a smaller cost of living compared to something like Seattle, has a good job market for my field, possibly a college that I can transfer to, and public transport until I get used to the area. If I could find an area to live that has 1 bedroom apartments for under 1000$ that would be ideal.
In my area i'm renting a 2 bedroom house for 500$, my lease is up at the end of the year.
Things are generally cheap and I am aware that cost of living in WA is substantially higher.
I have been cutting my costs and building up my savings even further so I have something to fall back on.
I have also been scoping out apartment listings and job offers but would like to have it narrowed down to a particular area.

Long-winded but if anyone has suggestions, comments or insight I would greatly appreciate it. I would be making this move alone and understand that it makes things harder so I would like to be as prepared as possible. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 12:46 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,461 times
If given the choice, I would say Spokane is definitely a nicer place to live. T-town is a complete ****hole.......Traffic, crime, dirty etc. Tacoma is literally the worst place in the state of WA, and it's not even close.

While I wouldn't say Spokane isn't gay friendly, there's not much of a gay community there, so dating options could be limited. There is only one gay bar in Spokane currently, and it's not even a true gay bar. Spokane is somewhat conservative, but more the fiscal type. There are a lot of non-religious libertarian types in Eastern WA in general. You might like it, you might not.

Honestly, if you're a single gay man that doesn't have a decent income yet, I would look into Eugene Oregon or Olympia WA. Those are medium sized cities with decent gay communities that are somewhat affordable to live.

For the love of god, stay AWAY from Tacoma though.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:24 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,862 times
It may cost more, but Seattle would have far more job and lifestyle options for you.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:04 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Tacoma is not a "****hole", although parts of it might be. Tacoma's Northend is definitely on the rise (although with rents also rising). Tacoma is a regional center for healthcare, clinics, and hospitals, so there are healthcare jobs there. Everett is also worth looking at, for the same reasons. Housing for <$1k is available, although more so in Tacoma than Everett. Maybe look at Vancouver, as well.

Spokane is a good deal more conservative, so could be less "amenable" than you'd like.

Good idea to get at least a two-year nursing degree where you are. It'll make finding a job here easier, plus you'll be paying out-of-state tuition here, which can be steep, for at least a year.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:40 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
There are good nursing jobs in lots of towns in Washington. Don't rule any out, or any in, yet, based on one person's opinion. All places have their pros and cons.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:19 PM

765 posts, read 899,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
If given the choice, I would say Spokane is definitely a nicer place to live. T-town is a complete ****hole.......Traffic, crime, dirty etc. Tacoma is literally the worst place in the state of WA, and it's not even close.

While I wouldn't say Spokane isn't gay friendly, there's not much of a gay community there, so dating options could be limited. There is only one gay bar in Spokane currently, and it's not even a true gay bar. Spokane is somewhat conservative, but more the fiscal type. There are a lot of non-religious libertarian types in Eastern WA in general. You might like it, you might not.

Honestly, if you're a single gay man that doesn't have a decent income yet, I would look into Eugene Oregon or Olympia WA. Those are medium sized cities with decent gay communities that are somewhat affordable to live.

For the love of god, stay AWAY from Tacoma though.
Interesting opinion..
I definitely disagree. Tacoma is a lovely city. Many different communities live here so there's a slice of pie for most everyone. As a q ueer person, I have found Tacoma to not only be accepting, but also advocates for lgbtq rights! Less so than San Francisco or Seattle, but probably one of the most lgbtq friendly cities in the nation. At least out of the places that I have been to. There is a gay club and gay bar downtown and a lesbian bar in eastside. The rainbow center is also downtown.
For schools, there is TCC, Bates, UW Tacoma, UPS, PLU, Pierce and Clover Park. I would take a a look at TCC, UWT, or Bates.
I don't think you will be able to find a 1 bedroom for 1000,maybe in The south end or east side. But you get what you pay for, and I don't think it would be the best option. Not for safety necessarily although, the crime is higher in those neighborhoods, but there is less to do and the transportation isn't as good. Some parts of east side are great though such as McKinley and Lincoln, maybe even Fern Hill. By the Mall in the Southend is also pretty good. And, if you're willing to compromise space,there are definitely studios under 1000!
I think if you would like to be a part of a diverse, artistic community, Tacoma would be great for you!

Old 02-23-2017, 01:11 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
Interesting opinion..
I definitely disagree. Tacoma is a lovely city. Many different communities live here so there's a slice of pie for most everyone. As a q ueer person, I have found Tacoma to not only be accepting, but also advocates for lgbtq rights! Less so than San Francisco or Seattle, but probably one of the most lgbtq friendly cities in the nation. At least out of the places that I have been to. There is a gay club and gay bar downtown and a lesbian bar in eastside. The rainbow center is also downtown.
For schools, there is TCC, Bates, UW Tacoma, UPS, PLU, Pierce and Clover Park. I would take a a look at TCC, UWT, or Bates.
I don't think you will be able to find a 1 bedroom for 1000,maybe in The south end or east side. But you get what you pay for, and I don't think it would be the best option. Not for safety necessarily although, the crime is higher in those neighborhoods, but there is less to do and the transportation isn't as good. Some parts of east side are great though such as McKinley and Lincoln, maybe even Fern Hill. By the Mall in the Southend is also pretty good. And, if you're willing to compromise space,there are definitely studios under 1000!
I think if you would like to be a part of a diverse, artistic community, Tacoma would be great for you!
I don't know man. Tacoma is the most dangerous city north of Stockton on the entire west coast, and outside of a few hotpots off of MLK and Rainier ave in South Seattle, Tacoma also has the most violent hoods in the entire Pacific North West. It has a violent crime rate of almost 70. The problem lies in the fact that Tacoma isn't a big enough area to contain the thugs into one part of town like they do in Seattle or Portland. This means that you have to deal with ****heads almost anywhere you go in Tacoma. While the gang problems are nothing like they were in the 80's or 90's, the place is still not anything I would consider safe. I used to have to work in Tacoma many rears ago, and the smell alone would be enough to turn me away.

While property crime from the meth culture in places like Spokane or Everett produces tons of property crime, you really don't have to deal gang BS.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:35 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Quote:
I used to have to work in Tacoma many rears ago, and the smell alone would be enough to turn me away.
And how long has it been since you've been back?

Old 02-23-2017, 01:37 AM

765 posts, read 899,316 times
Quote:
I don't know man. Tacoma is the most dangerous city north of Stockton on the entire west coast, and outside of a few hotpots off of MLK and Rainier ave in South Seattle, Tacoma also has the most violent hoods in the entire Pacific North West. It has a violent crime rate of almost 70. The problem lies in the fact that Tacoma isn't a big enough area to contain the thugs into one part of town like they do in Seattle or Portland. This means that you have to deal with ****heads almost anywhere you go in Tacoma. While the gang problems are nothing like they were in the 80's or 90's, the place is still not anything I would consider safe. I used to have to work in Tacoma many rears ago, and the smell alone would be enough to turn me away.

While property crime from the meth culture in places like Spokane or Everett produces tons of property crime, you really don't have to deal gang BS.
The city has completely changed. It's become a very interesting and wonderful place. The crime isn't terrible, especially comparing with most other metros. There are world class amenities, walkable neighborhoods, community feel, and a relatively low cost of living.
I don't know the last time you were in Tacoma but it's a very different place than it was 20-15-10-5 years ago. Even in the last year, the changes have been immense.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:39 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
Gig Harbor is close to Tacoma, but pricey. And a large bridge, Galloping Gertie, that will take a toll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington