Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 11:23 AM

6,229 posts, read 3,411,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highbl00d View Post
We've been planning our move there for quite some time. Recently we found out that if your income is above about $1K, you cant qualify for medicade. This is rough because medicade covers a good chunk of our dr bills and prescriptions. Without it, we'll have to pay quite a bit outta pocket. Problem is, we can really "decrease" our income. It's a fixed income from the federal government... technically we could discontinue it, but now theres NO income...

Would anyone know of any other medcial programs that we could look into to help offset the costs? Thanks in advance !
you really don't have to worry about medical insurance if you qualify for Obamacare....wait.... maybe you do now that most insurance companies have dropped coverage under the ACA.

Aetna drops last 2 state markets under Affordable Care Act.....

UnitedHealth pulling out of most ObamaCare markets.....

Last I heard 18 out of 23 original companies that was in the ACA exchange have announced dropping out or already have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 05:19 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
you really don't have to worry about medical insurance if you qualify for Obamacare....wait.... maybe you do now that most insurance companies have dropped coverage under the ACA.

Aetna drops last 2 state markets under Affordable Care Act.....

UnitedHealth pulling out of most ObamaCare markets.....

Last I heard 18 out of 23 original companies that was in the ACA exchange have announced dropping out or already have.
Where most have dropped out, other companies rush in to fill the void. Blue Cross/Blue Shield walked out on NM, but Signa took up where they left off, and all in all, that's a good thing, IMO. Providers hated BCBS, and some refused to take it, even well before ACA. And Signa, though it doesn't cover the same quantity in prescrips or services in some instances (acupuncture, for ex.), has infinitely better customer service than BCBS.

OP, you can call the Apple Care office and ask a representative your questions. However, another poster has a good point; where were you planning to move to in WA, and how were you planning to live on such a small income, for two? Or is that the income for each of you, so combined, it's $2000? Have you researched your move? We need more info.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:47 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
I think the poster was repeating a "monthly" income. The annual income of about 15K would be the limit for a single, and it does goes up for more in the household. What some don't understand is you could be a millionaire but if your income is still below, your health care is free in WA State. However, few millinonaires have income that low, even if it is just from investments, but you might be surprised.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I think the poster was repeating a "monthly" income. The annual income of about 15K would be the limit for a single, and it does goes up for more in the household. What some don't understand is you could be a millionaire but if your income is still below, your health care is free in WA State. However, few millinonaires have income that low, even if it is just from investments, but you might be surprised.
I know, but that doesn't make any sense. Who can live on the $1200/mo. that breaks down to, in WA, except for places like Aberdeen or Forks?

Old 05-13-2017, 09:17 PM

The point I was making is people can move to WA with a million dollars in the bank, and if they can't show income, they qualify for Applecare. There are plenty who are living quite well but based on their annual income, get free healthcare. This is the blueprint for expanded medicare. I realize that most are not in this position, but this is the current law.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
The point I was making is people can move to WA with a million dollars in the bank, and if they can't show income, they qualify for Applecare. There are plenty who are living quite well but based on their annual income, get free healthcare. This is the blueprint for expanded medicare. I realize that most are not in this position, but this is the current law.
Oh, I see what you're saying. Well, look at the other side of it; someone too young for Medicare (let's say--62) applies for Medicaid. They're retired, or maybe disabled. They have a nest egg, but it has to last them their lifetime. So they're barely scraping by on $1000/mo., let's say. In some states, they'd be turned down for Medicaid. Those states require such people to spend down their nest egg to next to nothing before they qualify for Medicaid. If they spend it down to that point, though, they're at risk of becoming homeless.

WA, OTOH, would give them Medicaid. I don't have a problem with that.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh, I see what you're saying. Well, look at the other side of it; someone too young for Medicare (let's say--62) applies for Medicaid. They're retired, or maybe disabled. They have a nest egg, but it has to last them their lifetime. So they're barely scraping by on $1000/mo., let's say. In some states, they'd be turned down for Medicaid. Those states require such people to spend down their nest egg to next to nothing before they qualify for Medicaid. If they spend it down to that point, though, they're at risk of becoming homeless.

WA, OTOH, would give them Medicaid. I don't have a problem with that.
Exactly. And why the law is in place. I hope WA can continue this despite the federal changes, which actually have not even happened yet.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:44 PM

Someone who has accumulated a decent amount of money should not be penalized just because they don't have a current income, or private health insurance. An illness should not bankrupt a person who has some money. Pure and simple, this is the right thing to do. And I think WA will continue to provide this, hopefully.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:48 PM

8 posts, read 6,105 times
Health insurance is the reason we plan to move to WA. My husband has had an organ transplant and will die without his meds, but in the state we live the income cap for an adult to get state insurance is under $300 a month. That is the upper limit! And our net worth must stay insanely low as well. Cars can not be valued over $2500. He currently has insurance through work, but they are already denying him coverage that he needs to afford the meds required to live. It is one screwed up system for sure!

Old 05-15-2017, 08:17 PM

As for Applecare, just be sure to establish residency quickly. Get a WA drivers license quickly. Apply in good faith. Show that you have either bought or rented a permanent residence. Don't make any mention of moving here to get on the program. Though, legally, you could do that and still probably get on the program. But make it easy for WA to accept you. The program is there for those who intend to live and stay in Washington. As for the future of the program, the feds are mostly in control, but those who get on Apple will likely be able to stay on longer. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington