Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 10:58 AM

6,224 posts, read 3,408,894 times

Advertisements

Also be reminded that Seattle is considering a city income tax on top of one of the highest sale tax in the state. Right now the state only has property taxes and a sale tax but no state income tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 10:59 AM

6,224 posts, read 3,408,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I think you meant to say "Eastern" there?
You are right, but Clallam county voted for Trump and it is west of Seattle.

Old 11-19-2017, 02:34 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Consider the Edmonds Bowl area. Really nice community, easy commute to Everett but not too far from all the things that are great about Seattle..

Old 11-19-2017, 08:33 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindtom View Post
Traffic will not be as much of an issue. It still may be an issue at times.
It will be an issue once a month seriously. If the OP doesn't live south of Northgate/Kirkland, traffic will not be an issue for going to Everett in the morning.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:35 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Cost of living is significantly higher in Everett than Spokane, primarily due to housing costs.

Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...=Spokane%2C+WA

If the salaries are similar, your money will go much further in Spokane than in Everett, making it much easier to save up to buy a house, for instance.

Last edited by Yac; 11-21-2017 at 07:27 AM..

Old 11-20-2017, 03:33 PM

9 posts, read 8,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Consider the Edmonds Bowl area. Really nice community, easy commute to Everett but not too far from all the things that are great about Seattle..
We heard good things about Edmonds but didn't have a chance to see it. We'll check it out if we end up taking the Everett job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
It will be an issue once a month seriously. If the OP doesn't live south of Northgate/Kirkland, traffic will not be an issue for going to Everett in the morning.
I'm told by current employees at the Everett job that it's more or less a "reverse commute". Plus most days I would be leaving around 6:30 am and heading home around 7:00 pm, so I hope I'd miss the worst of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Cost of living is significantly higher in Everett than Spokane, primarily due to housing costs.

Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...=Spokane%2C+WA

If the salaries are similar, your money will go much further in Spokane than in Everett, making it much easier to save up to buy a house, for instance.
It's hard to say exactly. My initial salary would be higher in Spokane, but would thereafter rise with inflation. The Everett job would start lower but rise significantly over the first several years, and would also offer a significant pension contribution after my first year. I would also expect my fiancee to have a much easier time finding a full time job in the Seattle area, but her job allows her to work freelance anywhere - but this would likely pay less overall. In the end, I expect things to monetarily "even out" or be slightly less in the Seattle area.

Honestly, if the jobs were in opposite cities, I would be moving to Spokane. But with such a great opportunity in Everett, I'm hoping to find a smaller/walkable community on the west side of the state, with the added benefit of being able to take advantage of having all the great sights and things to do in Seattle nearby.

Last edited by Yac; 11-21-2017 at 07:27 AM..

Old 11-20-2017, 03:37 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Cost of living much higher in the west. If one already has a job offer in Spokane, it would seem like a very solid choice.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:25 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Everett: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...?fullpage=true

Spokane: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true

Old 11-20-2017, 11:17 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
I live in Western Washington. Edmonds is a very pretty suburb, on the water & lots of trees. It also has a ferry that crosses to Kingston, for easy access to the Kitsap & Olympic Peninsulas, which are gorgeous. Edmonds is on the pricey side. I find the whole Everett area & surrounding communities to be very unappealing, but if you work there & don’t live there, I guess it would be OK.

I’ve visited Spokane a lot...I think the city itself is very appealing, but you will get colder winters with snow...but you’re also a short trip to Northern Idaho & Western Montana, both are great, uncrowded places for outdoor recreation. As mentioned, your COL will be lower in Spokane. The summers in either area are great.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:36 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
I think even Everett is nicer than Spokane. Coeur d'Alene is a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington