Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2008, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 12,693 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, which side of Washington State (Western Washington or Eastern Washington) has a definite FOUR seasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 06:35 PM

392 posts, read 1,556,462 times
Eastern is probably closer, as you get a fuller winter. Western (and my knowledge is limited to the South Puget Sound Region) has a GREAT, unbeatable summer, pretty nice spring (though it can be wet), a beautiful though not super colorful fall, and then a mostly rainy winter with very little snow fall.
Eastern (and I only know Spokane) has very hot, dry summers and cold snowy winters. I've never spent spring or falls there.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:26 PM

216 posts, read 1,006,360 times
E. Washington gets all 4 seasons. In the summer it is very sunny, very hot and dry. In the fall the leaves come off as the weather cools off and the sun hides behind clouds. Winters are very cold and overcast with fog and clouds frequent. Snow varies throughout areas of E. Washington and can come as early as Nov. (melting the same day though) and end as late as Mar. (very rarely). Spring is very pleasent with comfortable temps and sunny days. Overall a nice climate. April and December are the rainiest months and wind can get strong at any time of the year.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:34 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
Both sides of the mountains get a definite four seasons. They just don't match the pictures you see in kid's books.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:53 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Both sides of the mountains get a definite four seasons. They just don't match the pictures you see in kid's books.
Best answer I've seen!

People have this strange idea that because our seasons are not a carbon copy of seasons in other parts of the country that we don't have a definite four seasons here.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:30 AM

21 posts, read 40,127 times
True, I agree with you. I grew up in Tacoma and live in Eastern Washington for about 4 years. I have lived on both sides of the mountains. The summers are hot east mountains and they are warm west of them. Eastern Washington has a dry heat compared to the southeastern states which have wet heat or high humidity. I have lived in Missouri and in Louisiana while in the army and I wasn't used to those summers. I was drenched in sweat and people native to the are were sweating much.

Rick

Old 01-16-2014, 10:47 PM

348 posts, read 1,051,158 times
Read my posting.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosman27 View Post
In your opinion, which side of Washington State (Western Washington or Eastern Washington) has a definite FOUR seasons?
All four sides... Especially the NORTH (BC / Mtns) and SOUTH sides (Columbia Gorge). We can have all four seasons frequently in the Gorge (and in North Cascades )

The Leaves can be pretty a few times / yr (MANY green hues in Spring, Amber in fall). White Salmon, WA / Hood River / The Dalles, OR are really nice! But... I love the crunch of leaves & autumn smells the best..

The wood stove is burning at the moment (nice smell and cozy), and you just reminded me to get out another jug of hand pressed Apple Cider (My own 'blend', frozen by the gallons!)

yum ... Steelhead Chowder, tomorrow night!

Big River Grill in Stevenson, WA has smoked Salmon Chowder on Fridays (come early, or it will be GONE) A great seasonal meal! Come enjoy summer on the patio of Skamania Lodge (concerts on Sundays) -
Washington State Resorts & Lodges | Skamania Lodge | Columbia River & Portland Oregon Resorts
Skamania County, Southwest Washington State in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area

Old 01-17-2014, 02:18 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
I realize that this is an old, revitalized thread, but I have to disagree with this comment. Technically, the "seasons" are based on solstices and equinoxes, so everywhere on earth has four seasons. Obviously, this thread concerns the weather and the corresponding changes in flora, water levels, etc.

Mostly, I disagree that Eastern WA doesn't have four seasons like "the pictures you see in kid's books". I don't really know what that means, but I'm assuming it means colorful leaves and cool, crisp air in fall, snow and cold in winter, flowers and plant growth and sun in spring, and heat and swimming and AC in summer - Eastern WA absolutely has all those things. Sometimes spring and fall can be relatively short in some years, but they are certainly evident.

Western WA, on the other hand, doesn't really have any kind of decent fall or spring, IMO, and I assume that is what this poster is alluding to. Western WA has a very nice, usually short summer, and then a l-o-n-g period of cloudy, drizzly, 40 to 50-ish degree weather.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:10 AM

175 posts, read 366,245 times
I heard that Spokane has two seasons: potholes and road construction.

I grew up in Ephrata (right in the middle). We had definite, straight out of the movies, 4 seasons. Spring is green and warm, summer is hot and always sunny, fall is mild and cool and colorful, winter is cold and snowy. Although spring has a habit of being slow to warm up and then turning straight into summer without warning (we've had highs in the 60's one week and 90's the next).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington