Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 06:52 AM

12 posts, read 48,681 times

Advertisements

I just read (this morning) about the protest outside Ft. Lewis. I was just wondering if this is the prevailing attitude out there?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 08:11 AM

392 posts, read 1,557,427 times
I don't think so...I'm aware of far more pro-military movements than anti. I think that there are several differing opinions on the way our military is being employeed, but I think a strong majority of folks here respect and deeply appreciate our military.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:18 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by implnner View Post
I just read (this morning) about the protest outside Ft. Lewis. I was just wondering if this is the prevailing attitude out there?
Nah. Just a few radicals, no more representative of Washington as a whole than Ted Kaczynski was of Montana. I am guessing there's a connection with a university or college.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:47 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
I work just down the street from McChord and live very close to Ft Lewis. Most of the surrounding community is very pro military. I couldn't live there if it werent. I am a vet and work with many vets. I stay away from Olympia, though because all those hemp, protesting hippies depress me.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:22 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
Sounds as though you didn't read the entire story, what was the gist of the protest? I don't run into too many anti military people but plenty of folks are getting tired of the war in Iraq. I thought most people would be reading more on the war and it's waste of manpower and money to save a bunch of radical fundamentalist muslims from killing each other. Not Anti military, just anti war, there is a hell of a difference. Supporting the troops can mean we want them to live, not to die in some country their grandkids will be buying their shoes from...........

Old 05-07-2009, 02:10 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,413 times
I'm a leftwinger who had been involved in a number of demonstrations back when I was younger, but I found the protests at Fort Lewis embarrassing, especially as so many soldiers out of that base have lost their lives in Iraq.

Some people have no sense of what's appropriate and end up undermining the credibility of their side of the political spectrum.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:21 PM

12 posts, read 48,681 times
I DID read the entire story. I am also a military spouse. While I do not necessarily agree with the reasoning to go in the first place, I also support our troops 100%. I feel there is a big difference-I just don't feel that it was in good taste. Since we are moving out there, I am interested in the prevailing attitude towards the military and just how often these protests occur. I do appreciate everyone's input-I am sooo excited about moving to WA!!! I think I might have to get used to a more liberal attitude

Last edited by implnner; 05-07-2009 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: Wanted to express myself further

Old 05-08-2009, 09:37 AM

534 posts, read 1,170,928 times
If someone wants to protest the war, itself, they should be camping outside the offices of the elected officials who have the power (or at least some power) to stop it; not camping outside a military base, where the men and women stationed there have no real control over the global situation.

I am a USMC vet and Navy reservist, and I am not a huge fan of this war, either. That said, if I were the protesting type, I would be embarassed to protest outside the gates of Ft. Lewis, where young men and women are leaving to go to the sandbox to fulfill their duties and risk their lives - or worse - are returning from there to see my thankless display.

To the OP - I don't think you need to worry about the attitude towards the military in WA. IMO, outside of certain pockets in the Seattle area, it is overwhelmingly positive. Especially as you head east. And even in those places where it isn't that positive, it's not like people will give you a hard time about being military-affiliated.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:39 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Sound Politics: Vilification Of The U.S. Military At West Seattle High
Interviewing Iraq vet and Seattle-ite Terry Thomas yesterday morning on KVI-AM, Kirby Wilber highlighted the story of a horrendous, gross guerilla-theatre rehearsal reeking of anti-American, anti-military bias at West Seattle High School. The rehearsal was being staged, when into the school's theatre came invited and ambushed pro-Iraq War speakers. They were arriving for what had been billed to them as an assembly-style speaking forum only, airing both sides of the debate on the U.S. presence in Iraq.
Anti-war group targets on-campus military recruiters
A mob of Seattle Central Community College students chased military recruiters off campus last month, after a tense confrontation. Now a student anti-war group is stepping up efforts to keep them out for good.
Veteran gets rude welcome on Bainbridge
Walking the parade route with his mom, younger siblings and politically conservative friends, Jason heard words from the crowd that felt like a thousand daggers to the heart.
"Baby killer!"
"Murderer!"

Yep, real supportive of the troops. If they were anymore supportive they'd be carrying AK-47s and shooting at the troops.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:11 AM

172 posts, read 414,518 times
There was an anti-war protest when we were there as well. It upset me, but it was relatively small and what you might not have heard about are the "Bridge People" who stand on the bridge between Tillacum and the Madigan (hospital) gate and show there support every weekend. They are amazing and very, very supportive!
The one protest that happend while we were there was when that Lt. was being tried for refusing to deploy... I can't remember his name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington