Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2008, 09:07 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,297,481 times

Advertisements

when I lived in Mass this is how it went.

if I got into a car accident and I was not at fault, I would file with my own insurance company and they would go after the other party on my behalf for the deductible. I would have no contact with the other party and no out of pocket costs

If I was at fault, I would still file with my own insurance party and pay my deductible.

what about in WA? I am trying to read up on insurance coverage but its a lot more confusing than Mass coverages.

what happens if I get into a no fault of mine accident. what are the procedures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 09:08 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,274 times
I usually call my insurance agent for questions like this.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post

wow, such a profound reply. I hope you didn't hurt yourself thinking up this one

Old 08-25-2008, 11:29 AM

47 posts, read 156,395 times
I don't know the particulars to that question, however, I do know you must carry proof of insurance in your vehicle at all times or you are subject to a ticket (I believe it's a big ticket).

Old 08-25-2008, 12:53 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,813 times
I've been wondering about this, too, since in CA it's very similar to what you describe about Mass., but I also lived in NJ, which is a "no fault" state, where in terms of insurance no one is ever considered at fault, which was weird. I've been wondering what it's like in WA. I hope someone can answer that.

V. =)

Old 08-25-2008, 02:01 PM

130 posts, read 428,287 times
In Washington, your insurance company will ask you to exchange insurance info with the other party regardless of who is at fault. Never, NEVER admit fault, even if you ARE at fault.
Call your insurance company and give them all the info. They will pursue the claim and deal with the other party. They will also get copies of the accident report, if one was filed.
If the other party refuses to give you their insurance info, get the license plate number!!! regardless of who was at fault.
It's also a good idea to keep a disposable camera handy in your glove box. That way, if the police do not respond to take pictures, you can get your own to show the insurance company.
(I worked for a Personal Injury Attorney for many years. )

Old 08-26-2008, 11:03 AM

the reason why I ask is.....

my father was hit in a parking lot by someone backing out. it was her fault. they both called the cops but they refused to come out if no one was hurt (in Bellingham) so he took her info and he went to go get an estimate. He is unsure if he has to pay the deductible or not. In Mass, if I got into a car accident, I just file with my insurance company and they decide who is at fault (even if there is a police report) and if I am not at fault, they go after the other party. end of story. no need to call up the other person to get the deductible or any other hassle

Old 08-26-2008, 11:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
WA is NOT a 'no fault' state, thus considerably different. You need to carry additional comp insurance against uninsured motorists and additional medical coverage for your passengers in the event you get hit by an uninsured motorist. My agent claims 40% of the WA drivers are without Insurance (thus our rates are high).

WA does not require proof of insurance to obtain license plates, as many states do, but you are required to show proof of insurance if you are stopped in a traffic check.

from your situation, which you posted while I responded... You will need to work out with the other driver. Her insurance should cover your damage and she should pay her deductible for your repair. Legally this may be difficult to enforce, hopefully it does not come to that.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:18 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
Exactly correct. That is the only completely accurate source of information. Others' ideas are generalizations and speculations, but it's our insurance agents who can look up our specific policies and tell us the exact answers, word for word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: