Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 08:16 PM

5 posts, read 13,828 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

DH and I will be returning to Seattle after an 8 yr. work relo in Texas.

We are trying to decide between Gig Harbor and Bainbridge Island. The price of houses seems to be better in Gig Harbor, but we honestly dont know much about their schools. Does anyone have any experience with them? Aside from scores - what kind of reputation do the schools carry, etc?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 11:38 PM

5 posts, read 23,755 times
Trying to make the same decision. Two Kindergarten children; Want great schools that are not too large. "Nice" downtown area for walking, coffee, pubs, food, etc. No strip mall main streets with Burger King, Midas Muffler, type stuff. More pavers & streetlight kinda feel (think Dunedin FL, Old Town Alexandria VA, Sausalito CA, Edgartown on the vineyard, etc.) Love to get into seattle once in awhile for a night out sans kids, but no need to be super close. One telecommutes from home, the other needs to get to/from SeaTac once, maybe twice a week. Quality of life & schools are biggest concerns. Looking to spend about 700-800K. Outside of Gig & Bainbridge, any other "small towns"/areas come to mind? Thanks.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:19 AM

392 posts, read 1,557,071 times
I wrote a blog on the Gig Harbor schools last week and got some good comments from folks in the system. You can read it here. (http://gigharborundressed.neighborhoodsundressed.com/2009/01/21/supporting-great-schools-in-gig-harbor/ - broken link)

Old 01-27-2009, 04:18 PM

98 posts, read 443,004 times
Default Schools

I too have been contemplating a move to Gig Harbor and have a middle school aged boy. We chose not to put him in Seattle public schools. For the post looking for other smaller towns outside of Gig and Bainbridge perhaps looks at Vashon Island(really small and reliant on Ferry) and at $700-800 in todays market can likely get into a decent Mercer Island home and their excellent school system. Another community I like if you do not have to commute is Redmond although is sprawled a bit. Bainbridge and Mercer have some of the best testing scores but have heard the students can be stressed with excessive homework and emphasis on WASL scores. Unlike the above schools Gig Harbor teachers can actually afford to live in the community they teach. Gig Harbor high has a larger student count but my nieces go there and have been to other school districts and have had a favorable experience with my graduating niece getting accepted at some great colleges. Gig Harbor doesnt give me the island feel isolation like Bainbridge or Vashon and with non commute trips to Seattle and Tacoma are pretty easy and also there is train service from Tacoma. Another perk is ease of travel to Portland by car or train from Gig Harbor and to Ocean beaches. You miss the traffic crawl from Seattle to Tacoma.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:51 PM

5 posts, read 23,755 times
Cabo,
Thanks for the reply! Still looking at Gig, Bainbridge, and may look a little harder at Vashon. Not going to do Mercer...not a value, imo...Then again, after the winter the Seattle area is having, I think I may pass on the whole place!!

Old 02-03-2009, 03:27 PM

98 posts, read 443,004 times
Default Schools and Weather

We did have a good amount of snow then rain but the remaining 3 weeks of January and through this first week of February the weather has dried up(ytd rain back to normal) and last few days have been partly sunny in low 50s. As you know we get rewarded for some short term pain days with a generally ideal summer. Vashon is a good option if you are okay with the ferry system. They like most state institutions the ferry system is struggling financially so service and or prices will likely get worse. That is why I keep coming back to Gig Harbor versus Bainbridge and Vashon. I think there are some housing values to be found. Prices are finally dropping. If working in Seattle they have the train from Tacoma Dome and also Sound transit express buses which I have seen and look pretty comfortable. Good luck on whatever way you go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington