Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 08:46 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,266,775 times

Advertisements

Why did you and what are your thoughts. Do you regret it due to lack of sunshine, or are you glad for other reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 10:37 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,365,410 times
I think I may be the closest thing to what you're looking for ... I went to Phoenix multiple times on business trips, including a three month stint last year, but I never lived there (though the three month stint I did continually).

All I will say is I will never miss the god awful heat, the ugly and uber-aggressive drivers, the stupid gun toting truck drivers, and same strip mall over and over again. The only things I miss are the more affordable cost of living, even including the cost of constantly air conditioning your place, affordable housing, good car maintenance, and yes the sunshine was alright but Seattle has so many upsides. The women were more attractive there (omg many girls I knew there, holy cow ... ). If I weren't married, I'd move there. Oh and I'll miss some of the Tex-Mex food. But that's about it.

Yes, Phoenix has outdoor activities, but you can only realistically do it in the winter or early spring, or very late at night (e.g. pick up soccer games were at 11 PM). There's some really cool natural stuff in AZ (Grand Canyon, petrified forest, Saguaro cacti, and the open desert), but I prefer mountains and environments that sustain life. I also prefer little to no man-made lakes.

I'll never go back, no way, no how, except if business or a friend makes me come down for a good reason. I'll trade some clouds for the culture, activities, vibe, and natural beauty that sustains life over a hostile, drab environment like Phoenix.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:53 AM

I am here in Gilbert AZ, but feel l need to go back home. I have had my 600 days of sunshine, but I miss alot of what I once had in Wa as far as a climate that green things grow without a struggle. There also seems to be a much different attitutude about things that require education. I come to work early sometimes, I have extra time, and I read a book. I get the wierdest looks in AZ, where as in WA, Its more accepted. It rained here in Gilbert the other day, man it was nice. Rain really keeps things clean.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:59 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,365,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
I am here in Gilbert AZ, but feel l need to go back home. I have had my 600 days of sunshine, but I miss alot of what I once had in Wa as far as a climate that green things grow without a struggle. There also seems to be a much different attitutude about things that require education. I come to work early sometimes, I have extra time, and I read a book. I get the wierdest looks in AZ, where as in WA, Its more accepted. It rained here in Gilbert the other day, man it was nice. Rain really keeps things clean.
Yeah, I hate making generalizations but people in AZ, in general, have a hard time seeing why anyone would do anything educational, even some engineers I know down there. In the Pac NW, it's just more accepted to be a "nerd" since most people up here are, and in contrast, sports stars are still put on a pedestal here, but not nearly to the same degree (typically).

Old 04-17-2009, 11:26 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,846,288 times
Arizona and Washington each have more than 6 million people, so a lot statewide generalizations (about attitudes, etc.) that you see on boards like this can be pretty silly, in some cases.

I've lived for years in both states, and my take is that both are very desirable places to live, relatively speaking, with a lot of natural beauty and other positives. Those who have only been to the Phoenix area really don't know about the diversity that Arizona has in terms of scenery, topography, climate, etc.

If I could, I would live in Arizona for about four months a year, and Washington for the other eight. For year-round living, though, I strongly prefer where I am, in Western WA. I just can't take the summer heat in the employment centers of AZ, particularly Phoenix. It's worse than the long drizzly winters here, at least for me.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:32 AM

263 posts, read 1,079,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Why did you and what are your thoughts. Do you regret it due to lack of sunshine, or are you glad for other reasons.

I went from Phoenix to Seattle and back to Phoenix. It definately wasn't the sunshine though, or the lack of it in Seattle. Even though I may end up staying in Phoenix for several reasons, I'll always miss my drive to work on Lake HIlls Connector and the goregeous fall leaves. And back home from work on the 502 to 148th and seeing Mt. Rainer every day (except the seldom cloudy days ;-) on the way home.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
Arizona and Washington each have more than 6 million people, so a lot statewide generalizations (about attitudes, etc.) that you see on boards like this can be pretty silly, in some cases.

I've lived for years in both states, and my take is that both are very desirable places to live, relatively speaking, with a lot of natural beauty and other positives. Those who have only been to the Phoenix area really don't know about the diversity that Arizona has in terms of scenery, topography, climate, etc.

If I could, I would live in Arizona for about four months a year, and Washington for the other eight. For year-round living, though, I strongly prefer where I am, in Western WA. I just can't take the summer heat in the employment centers of AZ, particularly Phoenix. It's worse than the long drizzly winters here, at least for me.
Yeah there are some very beautiful parts of AZ, but your right, those areas don't cross section with the areas where the majority of us can get employment. Sedona and flagstaff are beautiful and the Sonoran Desert is beautiful in many many ways, I just feel like If I want t a job in AZ, I have to give up those lush green mountains, and rivers. Also, this state spends almost nothing on Education for my 1st grader. I'm not sure what its going to be like in Wa, as I have not lived there in 2 years before he was going to school.

Anybody leave here (the East Valley of the Sun) because the schools suck so bad??

Old 04-30-2009, 10:25 PM

14 posts, read 55,481 times
My husband grew up in WA and moved down to phoenix and met me (Im from the midwest) now we are thinking of moving back to WA. He always talks about how people are so much nicer up there and being around the mnts and the trees is so much prettier than dead desert. I have been there twice, both time were in August, so the weather was perfect. We are going to visit again in a few wks to see if I could move there. I hope it rains so I can get a "real" feel for how it would be. From what Ive seen so far I like it. So my husband may go back to WA agian!!!

Old 04-30-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinkara View Post
My husband grew up in WA and moved down to phoenix and met me (Im from the midwest) now we are thinking of moving back to WA. He always talks about how people are so much nicer up there and being around the mnts and the trees is so much prettier than dead desert. I have been there twice, both time were in August, so the weather was perfect. We are going to visit again in a few wks to see if I could move there. I hope it rains so I can get a "real" feel for how it would be. From what Ive seen so far I like it. So my husband may go back to WA agian!!!
where in Washington might you go?

Old 04-30-2009, 11:10 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,667,028 times
This is an interesting blog for me because I have been in Western WA for 18 yrs, but due to my extreme allergies, I am considering Las Vegas and Phoenix for retirement. I don't mind the heat because I originally am from Calfornia. The problem I am having is that I don't really "get" the desert. Whenever I turn into my lake community, I fall in love all over again with how beautiful it is. I am not sure I could feel that if I move, but if I stay, I am doomed to hiding indoors because my allergies are so severe I have become disabled.
What to do What to do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington