Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 05:50 PM

6 posts, read 26,968 times

Advertisements

kidpsych, the dust is a serious problem in all of southeastern WA... Olympia seems to be a good fit. There's the state government and a university, so lots of job opportunities. I would advise you to look into Oregon, but there's definitely a different sort of culture there--talk to Oregonians on their forum, see what you can come up with.

Nancy, you would probably have a great time in southern or central Kennewick, the crime's not bad, the traffic's not bad, the shopping centers and restaurants are all nearby, it's really not a bad place to be. South Richland might also be nice, but the traffic's a little worse. Badger Canyon is basically a part of the Tri-Cities (it's not an actual incorporated place), not a bad place at all, but kind of farther away from everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 12:55 PM

14 posts, read 93,567 times
I don't think you'll find many (if any) tourist in Tri-Cities. It's definately not a good place if dust is a problem for you either.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:24 PM

4 posts, read 27,767 times
I am also someone who relocated to the Tri-Cities (going on six years now), and have the following observations, for what they're worth.

We moved over here from the Seattle side of the state, fed up with traffic, rain, gloom, and mud. My husband had been out to Richland a few times on work assignments and convinced me it would be a great place to raise our kids while getting the change we both were ready for. So we took the plunge and moved.

Overall, it hasn't been a disappointment, but on the other hand I wouldn't call it paradise. Like any place, there are good points and bad.

The Good:

Lots of sunshine during the spring, summer and fall. (Winters are cold and dreary.)

Warm temperatures when it's not winter (very hot during the peak of summer).

Lots of parks and open spaces for kids.

Plenty of sports activities for kids and families (my boys play Little League baseball and love it).

Traffic isn't bad (this coming from a big city person...the locals would beg to differ).

People are friendly overall.

Schools are good overall, especially in Richland. (I would avoid Pasco.)

The Bad:

The wind. The wind. the wind. Seriously, it's windy almost all the time here. And I'm not talking a gentle breeze. And because of the surrounding dirt-covered hills in the area, it's a dusty wind that's always blowing through. Be prepared to do a lot of housekeeping, especially if you're brave enough to keep your windows open.

Allergies. If you're prone to them, they'll likely be worse. If you've never had any, you probably will once you're here. We were warned about that before we moved out here, and now we know why.

Lack of cultural activities/entertainment. You can always drive to the mountains to go skiing, or if you have a boat, you can enjoy boating on the Columbia River. But my family does neither and we miss not having museums, zoos, and the like to bring the kids to. The region is known for its wineries, wine tours, tasting, etc., which is great, but, again, not something the kids can enjoy.

The scenery. Personal taste, I suppose, but the brown hills to the south, and basically nothing any other direction gets old. There are trees in the older neighborhoods and closer to the river, but any new development you buy into will be very open and relatively unattractive.

My family has enjoyed our time in the Tri-Cities, but we are actually going to be relocating once again (to Minnesota--now there's a change!). We will take many good memories from here.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:52 PM

216 posts, read 1,007,388 times
The schools in Pasco are good it is just that we have a large population who do not have the resources to do well in school. These people are found mostly in East Pasco.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:35 PM

10 posts, read 38,781 times
Mose Lake Wa

You will do well there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington