Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,033 times

Advertisements

My family and I are so excited to be moving to Washington. My husband recently accepted a job up there and the only time we were able to move was after Christmas. We need to know how to get to Washington in our moving truck without hitting all the scary mountains I've been hearing about ( I think its a pass north of Oregan) ...I don't want to get stopped by the snow completely. Does anyone know where would be a good route around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 06:29 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
There are no passes north of Oregon to Canada. Grants Pass in southern OR might be what you're thinking of.

I think I-5 is going to be your best bet. If there is a problem with any passes on I-5 they will certainly be worse on any smaller road. Really though unless you happen to move during a blizzard I wouldn't worry to much about road conditions, you're going to WA, not the North Pole.

If you REALLY want to avoid any mountains I suppose you could take 101 up to Tillamook, OR then cut across to I-5, that route would be very flat, but also quit a bit slower since it would be 2 lane almost the entire way.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:13 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
So Cal to Kent? I-5 is the only bet. It's I-5 or I-5. There are no alternate routes.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:37 PM

103 posts, read 783,609 times
Just point your truck north on I-5 and don't get off until you get to Kent.I-5 is maintained in the wintertime and the mountain pass you are worried about is between cal and Oregon.The rest is flat country.
Don't worry the pass will only be open if it is safe to travel.Just make plans for a night in a motel in case the road gets closed for a few hours until cleaned.
Just look at it as an adventure.
Communications Winter Driving Tips

On the way up there,stop on I-5 at a truck stop and talk to the truckers that just came that way.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:26 PM

70 posts, read 345,920 times
I wouldn't worry about Siskiyou Pass so much as I would worry about the Chehalis River flooding out I-5 south of Olympia like last year

But serioulsy, like others have said, if the pass is that bad it gets closed, and if you still don't feel comfortable then wait it out (the weather). But really, I-5 is the way to go, even if you wanted an alternate way out of the way route you would hit more passes going through the inter-mountain west than you will heading straight up 5.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:38 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,073 times
I-5 to Kent, no issues. Took I-5 from the bay area to Tacoma last January with no trouble.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:37 AM

346 posts, read 968,273 times
Straight up I-5.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:37 PM

Location: SoCal native (Riverside), now in the Seattle area...
102 posts, read 599,531 times
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say "take I-5 all the way up"..

We moved up from Riverside to Tacoma/Fife back in '04 and made it just a shade over 24 hours, only taking about a 4-5 hour break near Yreka the crash in a hotel.. It was mid November so the weather wasn't too bad, and even when you're moving up, the only issue would be maybe the Siskiyous, like someone else already mentioned...

Old 11-21-2008, 10:32 PM

389 posts, read 1,075,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainydaygrl View Post
My family and I are so excited to be moving to Washington. My husband recently accepted a job up there and the only time we were able to move was after Christmas. We need to know how to get to Washington in our moving truck without hitting all the scary mountains I've been hearing about ( I think its a pass north of Oregan) ...I don't want to get stopped by the snow completely. Does anyone know where would be a good route around?
Take I-5. Granted, you MIGHT be able to take route 101 all the way up the coast... but I haven't driven up the coast of Oregon. It would be a slower drive, though, but chances are you'd run into less snow on the coast itself. If you go up 101, best bet is to probably stay on it all the way into Washington, and go East once you get to Aberdeen... go on 12. But, keep in mind that these aren't major Interstates. However, you would miss the major mountains, since you'd be so close to the coast most of the way. I don't knwo for sure what 12 looks like around Aberdeen, though. Best of luck.

If you go up I-5, be careful of Grant's Pass. If you're on 101, though, you will miss that area entirely.

Again, though, I would suggest I-5. It is maintained, as it is a major interstate.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:30 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Remember, in WA it's "I-5" not "The I-5" or "The 5"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington