Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,732 times

Advertisements

I am a college student thinking about transferring to Evergreen State, I live now in Cincinnati. I was wondering if anybody knew if there was a part of town, off campus, that some of the current students live in and where that would be? A small area by the campus maybe? Also could someone tell me about the snow and cold. I get the idea that its much more rain than snow but snow still falls and sticks, right? And closer to the mountains it falls much more fequently? During the winter what are the average temperatures? And compared to Tacoma how much smaller is Olympia? Any replies on the subject would really help, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 10:06 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
I went to Evergreen. OK, it was hundred years ago, but...
'Greeners, when they live off campus, live on the West side of Olympia or downtown, and around Mud Bay and Cooper Point Roads near the campus.
Oly is smaller than Tacoma, but because it has Evergreen and the State Capitol, has a lot going on. Downtown Olympia is fun and hip. It does rain a lot, and rarely snows. When it does snow, it mostly doesn't stick, and if it does, it usually disappears in a day or two. Last winter was a notable exception.
Temperature wise, it doesn't get THAT cold most of the time, but it can feel raw...A lot of winter days in Olympia will be gray or drizzly or rainy and have a high temperature in the mid 40's.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknerro View Post
...I was wondering if anybody knew if there was a part of town, off campus, that some of the current students live in and where that would be? A small area by the campus maybe? Rental Housing is a bit tough to find in Olympia, so there are many students sharing homes nearby campus, and throughout Olympia. It is a bit expensive for rent as compared to other locales

Also could someone tell me about the snow and cold. ...snow still falls and sticks, right? ~3 light snows / yr, (2-6") and rain washes most of that away within a day. Occasional freezing rain, that is no fun (<2x/yr)

And closer to the mountains it falls much more fequently? oh-yes, plenty of snow in Olympic and Cascade Mtns (less than 1 hr east or north)

During the winter what are the average temperatures?
http://www.city-data.com/city/Olympia-Washington.html

And compared to Tacoma how much smaller is Olympia? A lot smaller and more compact. More community feel in Olympia than Tacoma (which is close enough to Seattle that it is largely bedroom community + military makes Tacoma more transient) good parts (and bad) in both towns
I think you will be happy with Evergreen and Olympia, if it fits your style

Old 11-01-2009, 11:15 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
You're going to love this. Your sports teams' mascot is a geoduck. If you do not know what a geoduck is, don't fret: short of a sudden attack of terminal agoraphobia, you can't live near Puget Sound for any length of time without learning what are geoducks. First lesson: pronounce it 'gooey-duck'. Second lesson: never ask why.

I respect Evergreen. Had I realized earlier some of my unique talents and been more mature as a 17-year-old, that is the place I would have gone instead of UW. I would have found the political climate a great irritant but as a learning environment for the powerfully self-motivated and talented, that's what Evergreen does very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington