Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 03:34 PM

850 posts, read 3,717,536 times

Advertisements

We're pretty lucky in that we don't have many poisonous bugs or mean creatures around here. Like the above posters have said, if you live out in the country you will have more of a chance meeting a cougar or coyote. And we do have some poisonous spiders including hobo and brown recluse. If you live on the east side of the mountains, you will likely see black widow spiders and rattlesnakes, both very dangerous.

Unless you live in a very old house that is insulated poorly, most bugs will be found outside. Oh, and I have never personally seen a wolf spider around here. Those wood spiders can be pretty nasty and they are huge! Although I don't think they're poisonous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 07:35 AM

117 posts, read 344,722 times
Grocery stores=Albertson's, Safeway, QFC, Super Wal-mart. Those are the big 4, I'm sure there are others. There is a Wal-mart in Silverdale , I'm not sure if it's "super" or not.

The problem with Western Washington is that the towns grow together so much it's hard to tell where one ends and the other begins

Old 04-29-2010, 01:36 PM

69 posts, read 183,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakyco View Post
Grocery stores=Albertson's, Safeway, QFC, Super Wal-mart. Those are the big 4, I'm sure there are others. There is a Wal-mart in Silverdale , I'm not sure if it's "super" or not.

The problem with Western Washington is that the towns grow together so much it's hard to tell where one ends and the other begins
Thanks Wakyco

Old 05-02-2010, 10:39 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,705 times
I'm not sure where you've moving exactly, but there's a lot of open space in this state and if you live in the woods, it will be filled with the creatures that live there too.

In terms of the usual stuff, there are no snakes in Washington that I know of. That is, in the west part of the state. In the east, where it is a desert, there are some rattlesnakes. Yes, there are spiders. Depending upon where your house is, there can be a lot of them. Almost none are poisonous. I've been on the hunt to find one for ages. The worst thing you'll see is a giant European house spider. They can get big and are fast. The alternative is that you see a bunch of insects. Leave them alone.

Outside there are spiders, a small amount of mosquitos and the regular flying bugs. It's pretty mundane compared to the south. Just don't dress up in your favorite seal suit and go swimming in the ocean.

One thing I should note is raccoons are a problem. Don't leave pets out at night and if you come across any of their droppings, stay clear.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:04 PM

117 posts, read 344,722 times
there are no snakes in Washington that I know of.

Don't be afraid if you see a snake. We do have Gardner snakes in the western part of the state. They're non-poisenous though. Kids pick them up and play with all the time. (More startling than dangerous)

Old 05-03-2010, 10:41 AM

44 posts, read 111,382 times
Default All spiders are poisonous...

Fortunately, many have fangs that are too small to pierce human skin. Of those that can give us a good chomp, none really want to and will only bite to defend themselves. Spiders are the good guys. Just live and let live.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:35 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
Washington is home to roughly a dozen species of snakes (many are subspecies of garter snakes). The western rattlesnake is common in eastern and central Washington, and, while uncommon, can be found in western Washington. It is the only venomous snake naturally found in Washington.

Snake species found in Washington include:
The common garter snake
Red spotted garter snake
Valley garter snake
Puget Sound garter snake
Western terrestrial garter snake
Northwestern garter snake
Racer
Sharp-tailed snake
Ringneck snake
Right snake
California mountain kingsnake
Gopher snake (Also called a bull snake)--often mistaken for a rattlesnake because of it's appearance and the fact it acts like one---hissing, coiling, striking and vibrating it's tail.
Night snake
Rubber boa
Striped whipsnake
Western rattlesnake

WDFW -- Living with Wildlife
Reptiles of Washington - Herpetology - Burke Museum

Old 05-04-2010, 01:40 PM

69 posts, read 183,273 times
Does anyone else have info on my other question about Cell phone carriers? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington