Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 12:23 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I never understood that either. Most people I know claim they love summer, but when summer actually gets here the only time they are outside of air conditioning is when walking from the car to a building. Then when we get to the hottest part of the year, they complain about how hot it is and how they're sick of it.

Them: "I love summer! But this heat is too much."
Me: "This IS summer. This what summer is like here!"
Them: "No we usually get a shower in the afternoon that cools us down quite a bit."
Me: "Are you sure you actually live here?"

I think some people here are actually thinking about Spring or Fall when they're talking about Summer.
Tell them to turn off their A/C for a day. Then see how much they "love" summer.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt this year though since it has been more brutal than usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 12:57 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Tell them to turn off their A/C for a day. Then see how much they "love" summer.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt this year though since it has been more brutal than usual.
Even with this hot summer, I don't want summer to end. I won't mind slightly cooler days, but rather this than any other season's weather. And I don't have any A/C to turn off.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Even with this hot summer, I don't want summer to end. I won't mind slightly cooler days, but rather this than any other season's weather. And I don't have any A/C to turn off.
Do you think you could handle living without A/C in a place like Mississippi or Louisiana?

Since we live in the northeast, we're fortunate enough to get occasional breaks from the heat and humidity. But even being this far up north, it still gets hot and humid enough to require A/C, IMO. Thankfully it seems as though we've returned to more "normal" summer weather over the past few weeks.

We still have a month or so left, but the end is near. I'm really going to appreciate fall this year.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:14 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Do you think you could handle living without A/C in a place like Mississippi or Louisiana?

Since we live in the northeast, we're fortunate enough to get occasional breaks from the heat and humidity. But even being this far up north, it still gets hot and humid enough to require A/C, IMO. Thankfully it seems as though we've returned to more "normal" summer weather over the past few weeks.

We still have a month or so left, but the end is near. I'm really going to appreciate fall this year.
I've wondered if I could handle living in the south this summer since I was fine most of the hottest and humid days this summer without A/C. Perhaps it wasn't not my ideal but it was bearable and would still prefer it over winter. I was in an air conditioned house the week of the heat wave after July 4, though people in my apartment managed without A/C, but were uncomfortable.

Anyhow, I could handle living without A/C in a place like Mississippi or Louisiana. Would I enjoy it? Probably not. I would like a place with our summers and the winters of the south.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:44 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
Schaumburg, IL

Highest: 93 F (34 C) July 7th & July 17th
Lowest: -1 F (-18 C) January 3rd

Old 08-09-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I've wondered if I could handle living in the south this summer since I was fine most of the hottest and humid days this summer without A/C. Perhaps it wasn't not my ideal but it was bearable and would still prefer it over winter. I was in an air conditioned house the week of the heat wave after July 4, though people in my apartment managed without A/C, but were uncomfortable.

Anyhow, I could handle living without A/C in a place like Mississippi or Louisiana. Would I enjoy it? Probably not. I would like a place with our summers and the winters of the south.
Hats off to you. I would certainly admire your electric bill. I've always wondered what it would be like to turn off the A/C down south for a day or two...just to test my limits, because up here, it usually cools off enough at night to turn off the A/C (even though I personally don't find 65-70 F at night satisfyingly cool). Down south, often it doesn't fall below 70 or 75 F and the dewpoints are higher. Up here, usually I don't have to turn it on until later in the afternoon or evening (depending on how hot it is). And I'm certainly grateful that it gets a break every now and then. Down south it seems as though it would have to be turned on every single day from May through September.

While I prefer our winters...I do agree that the southeast has very nice winters. I think I would rather vacation down there during the winter than during the summer (unless it was a beach vacation).

Old 11-16-2013, 01:03 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
For 2013:

High 97 F / 36 C (July 17th)
Low 17 F / -8 C (February 1st) I rode in a 2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with snow on the ground!!!!

Old 11-16-2013, 01:05 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,974,461 times
34.7 c

10.8 c

Old 11-16-2013, 01:12 AM

473 posts, read 667,146 times
Highest: 39C/102.2F on January 19th
Lowest: -4.2C/24.4F on August 21st

Old 11-16-2013, 01:22 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Lowest: 23 F/-5 C on February 17th (day after my birthday)
Highest: 98 F on June 12/13th.

Interestingly enough, both winter and summer were milder than normal this year down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather