Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 02:37 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times

Advertisements

Here in the south there is not much to do. If we are going to have a hard freeze, you might want to make sure your garden hoses are unplugged and any houseplants still out are brought in. Other than that....naah, not really.

Yet somehow with the approaching Fall, I think about getting spare blankets washed, sweaters washed, some groceries in. But, why really? I live in the south! Maybe it's psychological! I don't even need to make sure we have firewood because we have a gas fireplace. But I suspect some of you really do have some chores may need attending to before the winter, no? Stock up on potato chips, popcorn and rental movies? I dunno. Tell us about it....

Last edited by kaykay; 08-25-2010 at 02:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 03:28 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,816,816 times
Garden hoses, pools (to below the skimmer ) and irrigation systems have to be drained to prevent bursting.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:43 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,227,309 times
More like preparation for autumn.

Close up the pool by the end of September, which is always a fun process. We don't even really use it after Labor Day since everyone is too busy with school and work and whatnot. Plus it usually isn't hot enough to swim. When do people down south normally close their pools?

Remove window a/c units sometime in September.

In October we usually start using the woodstove so my father and I will chop and stack up firewood.

Other than that, not much. Just make sure the car has anti-freeze. Which reminds me that I should probably replace my tires before winter.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:57 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
More like preparation for autumn.

Close up the pool by the end of September, which is always a fun process. We don't even really use it after Labor Day since everyone is too busy with school and work and whatnot. Plus it usually isn't hot enough to swim. When do people down south normally close their pools?
Public pools generally close even here in Texas right after Labor Day, I think. I don't know when people close up their personal pools. We have had one house with a pool and I don't remember if we did anything particular or not.
It's hot for quite awhile, but for me personally it seems just a little too cool to swim even in September. (Dallas will usually cool off a little bit after Labor Day.)

Old 08-25-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:

Remove window a/c units sometime in September.

In October we usually start using the woodstove so my father and I will chop and stack up firewood.

Other than that, not much. Just make sure the car has anti-freeze. Which reminds me that I should probably replace my tires before winter.
Those words sound contradictory.
It's never 'hot enough" to have perfect swimming comfort, even on a warmer day in July.
What we do have is days of "varying-tolerability."
99% of the time I swim, I am not even slightly-hot before getting wet.
I don't find 65 F air too uncomfortable to swim, if the water is still warmish and it's not windy.

Funny,
but instantly I remembered our heatwave on Canadian Thanksgiving; 90 F on Oct 8th with about 45% humidity.
That's what I look forward to, so if the weather's ideal for me you wouldn't be removing your A/C units.

It makes sense to use some anti-freeze year-round, as it raises the boiling point of water too.

Yeah, make sure your tires aren't bald. Autumn is a good time to tire shop.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Public pools generally close even here in Texas right after Labor Day, I think. I don't know when people close up their personal pools. We have had one house with a pool and I don't remember if we did anything particular or not.
It's hot for quite awhile, but for me personally it seems just a little too cool to swim even in September. (Dallas will usually cool off a little bit after Labor Day.)
What? You too?
You hate 75+ F air temps when your dry, but find 80's F too cool to swim?

Old 08-25-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Those words sound contradictory.
It's never 'hot enough" to have perfect swimming comfort, even on a warmer day in July.
What we do have is days of "varying-tolerability."
99% of the time I swim, I am not even slightly-hot before getting wet.
I don't find 65 F air too uncomfortable to swim, if the water is still warmish and it's not windy.
Down here it is. I love a refreshing swim, especially after working outside in the heat, humidity, and sun all day. I find sunny weather with temperatures above 85 F ideal swimming weather. Humidity also plays a factor. Believe it or not, I find a dry, breezy 80 F barely tolerable for swimming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian
Funny,
but instantly I remembered our heatwave on Canadian Thanksgiving; 90 F on Oct 8th with about 45% humidity.
That's what I look forward to, so if the weather's ideal for me you wouldn't be removing your A/C units.
When was this? Our record high in October is 89 F. Often times there'll be an "indian summer" in early or mid October with highs topping close to 80 F. Even if I did remove my a/c and it got unusually hot again, I could tolerate it mainly because by that time of the year, it's much dryer, and it won't last as long as the summer heat. Plus, the night would probably still be "satisfyingly" cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian
It makes sense to use some anti-freeze year-round, as it raises the boiling point of water too.

Yeah, make sure your tires aren't bald. Autumn is a good time to tire shop.
True. But if for some reason it's running low, I just add water during the warmer time of the year. I'll make sure I add anti-freeze before cold weather returns.

I'm not looking forward to dropping the money for the tires, but obviously it's something that has to be done.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Down here it is. I love a refreshing swim, especially after working outside in the heat, humidity, and sun all day. I find sunny weather with temperatures above 85 F ideal swimming weather. Humidity also plays a factor. Believe it or not, I find a dry, breezy 80 F barely tolerable for swimming.
Above 85 F is better for swimming, but we get like 10 days a year like that?
Even still, I never feel hot in the high 80's F so even less rare for me.

In 2010, we've had 2-3 days that felt hot to me and only because it was accompanied by high humidity.

Quote:
When was this? Our record high in October is 89 F. Often times there'll be an "indian summer" in early or mid October with highs topping close to 80 F. Even if I did remove my a/c and it got unusually hot again, I could tolerate it mainly because by that time of the year, it's much dryer, and it won't last as long as the summer heat. Plus, the night would probably still be "satisfyingly" cool.
2007 or 2008?
Satisfyingly cool nights?
Try 78 F at 10 pm.
Our low was still 70 F that day.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:03 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,272,325 times
I don't do this anymore as my current plan is packing the car up for Fla and is much easier.

This is what I use to do. Make sure the boat is winterized, covered, and put into storage. Same for the sports car. Change ins and plates at motor vehicle dept to fwd vehicle. Make sure that's winterized, has good tires, and winter wipers. Load vehicle with blanket, ice scraper, shovel, broom, snacks, and enough clothes for a couple of days in case you get stuck somewhere and can't get home. Find best price on pellets and make several loads from store to fill up garage after rearranging for space. Bring in hoses and outdoor furniture etal and that other things are covered. Make sure that snow blower works and several good shovels on hand and extra gasoline. Test all windows to see if they are sealed tight. Cover bushes with wooden frames, repair, or make new ones so shrubbery isn't flattened. Check roof for leaks. Put heat tape on eaves where ice collects or pipes as necessary.

Take out heavy blankets, space heaters, and stock up on extra food of all types to cut down on the need to shop in bad weather or if you can't get out. Two months supply is good. (Pushing a food cart thru a couple of inches of snow to your car is almost impossible.) Same with extra Rxs. Make sure there are enough candles and batteries, that everyone has full winter gear and boots that are in good shape and fit them. Put a fresh coat of water seal on all boats. Also check the snow suit used when snowblowing to make sure it has no rips. Put out stakes at the end of either side of the driveway so you can find it and snow fence if necessary. Make arrangements with a person who will plow you out regularly. Put a bit of extra cash in the safe for daily use in case you can't get to the bank. Check with neighbors to see if they will need help.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

2007 or 2008?
Satisfyingly cool nights?
Try 78 F at 10 pm.
Our low was still 70 F that day.
I guess it depends on the weather station. According to wunderground, at 10PM it was 70 F (still very warm for that time of night in October). Then it steadily dropped into the 60s as the night went on.

That day it reached 88 F here. The first week of October that year was very warm. The nights were still nice (lows in the 50s and 60s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather