Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 11:00 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times

Advertisements

Tough choice for me based on climate comfort.

Used to Toronto's winters, I'd be able to handle Seoul's winters (even though I'd not prefer to), and the hotter summer is a bonus.

Depending on how well-insulated the buildings are, I don't know how cool I'd be in Melbourne summers, but Melbourne seems more suitable for outdoor activity year-round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 07:23 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
If the choice was between an American continental climate and Melbourne, I might go with the American one. Half of the benefit of a continental climate is the sunshine. Instead Seoul is slightly cloudier than Melbourne, and worse, most of the cloudiness is concentrated in the summer.

12 inches of rain in one month?! I like rain but that is too much. And a low of 71-72°F suggests rather sticky conditions. Decent for tropics. Not so much for temperate places. NYC has a similar average but much better weather.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:32 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo1995 View Post
Seoul has 5 months of the year colder than Melbourne's coldest month of July.

No thanks.

Melbourne's July's not really that cold for a "winter" though is it.

As a good summer lover I can quite put up with winter three months colder than Buxton's average to have a summer way better than what Melbourne can offer. on a consistent basis.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:22 AM

497 posts, read 1,088,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
No kidding about cold winter climates in Asia.. what would you rather endure... a Melbourne winter or a Seoul winter (same latitude from the equator)
After having experienced both places year round, it would be easy for me to choose Melbourne. Nicer winters and a nicer summer as well.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:51 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
From NOAA:

2010 ties with 2005 as the warmest on record.

NOAA: 2010 Tied For Warmest Year on Record

Massachusetts was the 3rd warmest on record. Definitely felt like it! Interesting that it wasn't true of much of the southern and western parts of the country. One of the stranger weather years I can remember.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:53 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
20 C is not freezing cold. You don't know cold.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:59 PM

578 posts, read 1,188,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derangled View Post
Melbourne's July is cold enough to suck, to feel like winter compared to 80% of the rest of Australia and to kill off subtropical palm species.
London's winters can't kill off subtropical palms so I'm not sure how Melbourne's can, considering your coldest month is about 4C warmer than London's.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:27 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,069,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1987 View Post
London's winters can't kill off subtropical palms so I'm not sure how Melbourne's can, considering your coldest month is about 4C warmer than London's.
Depends which species he's referring to. I imagine the 40+ C days that can occur during summer in Melbourne would be more of a problem than the occasional cold nights (2 - 3 C) which can occur even in Brisbane.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:11 PM

102 posts, read 146,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Depends which species he's referring to. I imagine the 40+ C days that can occur during summer in Melbourne would be more of a problem than the occasional cold nights (2 - 3 C) which can occur even in Brisbane.
Melbourne's climate should support many species of sub-tropical palms, but you don't see many there and the ones that you do look a bit tired. The winters while not freezing, might be just a bit too cool for a bit too long, or the summers are not warm enough to let the plants re-juvinate after the dead of winter.

There are plenty of subtropical palms here in Mildura which seem to be doing well, far more than in Melbourne, but winter nights can get cold with a handful every winter that manage to drop below 0C. Days however are around 15-20C for the most part. Our winters are much shorter than in Melbourne and we get far more sunshine aswell, so maybe that helps certain palms here, despite the colder winter nights?

Old 01-14-2011, 06:35 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Melbourne has plenty of palm trees at least from what I saw when I was there. I'm sure locals there can corroborate the fact that Canary Island Date Palms in particular are plentiful. There are also plenty of Norfolk Island Pines which are subtropical species that seem to do well there too.
Any palm that can live in coastal California (there are many that can) should have no problem whatsoever in Melbourne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather