Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 12:55 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,939,723 times

Advertisements

Decrease in summer humidity
Charleston SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 08:17 PM

12,622 posts, read 13,975,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Yep, that's right. Where I live, which is in York PA, we're on the same exact latitude as Madrid and Rome. Clouds wise, it's sunny or partly cloudy here for about 10 days each month in winter. York gets similar annual sunshine hours to Adelaide. Plus, being located south and east of the Appalachians help shield us from the more extreme cold and snow. That's why Pittsburgh is much colder and snowier than York, despite being 3 hours away due west. It can be -6°C in Pittsburgh but in York it would be 4°C and it's not unusual at all. The temperature map color roughly follows the curb of the Appalachians and so does the snowfall.

Another thing to take note, I live near the edge of what Köppen considers humid continental and subtropical. There are hotels 3 hours east of my house in Ocean City, MD that have those small, cold hardy palms growing

Was in coastal Delaware this past weekend (a little over 2 hours south of Philly). Places like Lewes, DE have an avg high and low of 45F/28F in January. Check out the veg I saw there like Crepe Myrtle's everywhere, Southern Magnolia, Palms, etc:

Old 08-21-2011, 08:33 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,999,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Was in coastal Delaware this past weekend (a little over 2 hours south of Philly). Places like Lewes, DE have an avg high and low of 45F/28F in January. Check out the veg I saw there like Crepe Myrtle's everywhere, Southern Magnolia, Palms, etc:

The first picture is what I was referring to, especially the plants in the center and the right-side one

Old 08-21-2011, 09:21 PM

914 posts, read 2,108,671 times
subtract 100 from each month!

Old 08-23-2011, 11:02 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,781,201 times
Here's what the temperatures look like for my current climate:

Jan: 44°/31°
Feb: 47°/34°
Mar: 51°/36°
Apr: 55°/40°
May: 61°/45°
June: 66°/50°
July: 73°/54°
Aug: 72°/54°
Sep: 66°/48°
Oct: 58°/42°
Nov: 48°/44°
Dec: 44°/32°

My only temperature change would be dropping all the temperatures 5-10 degrees. The highest precipitation months are November, December, and January, decreasing from November in both directions with the lowest months being July and August. I'd probably leave that alone. Sunshine hours vary along similar lines as precipitation, where the winter and spring months are the lowest, but July, August, and September are highest. I'd probably spread that out a little, and have less sunshine hours in those months and a few more in the other months. But I'd still want winter to be cloudier. We average a little under six inches of snow in January, and a little less for the other winter months. I might bump that up just a bit, but not too much. This place is very hilly, and while snow isn't necessarily a problem, ice certainly would be. Aside from adjusting the temperatures even lower, my modifications to this climate would be minor.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:13 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,856,092 times
^^ Wow, you want temps even lower than 44 F winter and 73 F summer. You'd make a fantastic Canadian.

The climate you live in would already be quite rough on me.
Summer at of 73 F/54 F?
I'd expect to feel a bit cold in the shade midday in summer,
and cold about 340+ mornings a year!
I might prefer putting up with Toronto's intensely cold winters
just to have Toronto summers.

Have you checked out Prince Rupert BC?
You might like it, but I find it revolting.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:17 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,264,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Here's what the temperatures look like for my current climate:

Jan: 44°/31°
Feb: 47°/34°
Mar: 51°/36°
Apr: 55°/40°
May: 61°/45°
June: 66°/50°
July: 73°/54°
Aug: 72°/54°
Sep: 66°/48°
Oct: 58°/42°
Nov: 48°/44°
Dec: 44°/32°

My only temperature change would be dropping all the temperatures 5-10 degrees. The highest precipitation months are November, December, and January, decreasing from November in both directions with the lowest months being July and August. I'd probably leave that alone. Sunshine hours vary along similar lines as precipitation, where the winter and spring months are the lowest, but July, August, and September are highest. I'd probably spread that out a little, and have less sunshine hours in those months and a few more in the other months. But I'd still want winter to be cloudier. We average a little under six inches of snow in January, and a little less for the other winter months. I might bump that up just a bit, but not too much. This place is very hilly, and while snow isn't necessarily a problem, ice certainly would be. Aside from adjusting the temperatures even lower, my modifications to this climate would be minor.
Looks like a very pleasant climate as is, though I would agree with most of your modifications. I'd prefer more rain and snow in the winter.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
^^ Wow, you want temps even lower than 44 F winter and 73 F summer. You'd make a fantastic Canadian.

The climate you live in would already be quite rough on me.
Summer at of 73 F/54 F?
I'd expect to feel a bit cold in the shade midday in summer,
and cold about 340+ mornings a year!
I might prefer putting up with Toronto's intensely cold winters
just to have Toronto summers.

Have you checked out Prince Rupert BC?
You might like it, but I find it revolting.
It's actually 73 right now and I just walked to the store. I was wearing a t -shirt and jeans and was just a little warmer than I'd prefer when walking in the sun. But I can't complain! But when I go for a bike ride in 70-75 degree sunny weather, I'm definitely warmer than I'd like. Not even close to the misery of cycling in TN in the summer, but not ideal, either. And cooling off is MUCH easier here. There's actually a breeze, for one thing. And sweating here actually works! In TN sweating in the summer rarely if ever cooled me down noticeably. It's like the sweat just blended in with the humidity and accomplished nothing. Here when I sweat, there's almost always a cool breeze that quickly cools me down, which is great.

Just checked Prince Rupert and I must say that the temperatures look perfect! But, holy cow that's a lot of rain! Not that I mind rain, it just seems like it could become inconvenient to get that much rain every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Looks like a very pleasant climate as is, though I would agree with most of your modifications. I'd prefer more rain and snow in the winter.
I think Bellingham averages about 35 inches of rain per year, which isn't much in total, but from what I understand it rains lightly very frequently in winter. It actually rained some yesterday. Just a light drizzle and most people I saw out weren't even wearing rain coats. I was but half the time it was overkill.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:46 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,856,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
It's actually 73 right now and I just walked to the store. I was wearing a t -shirt and jeans and was just a little warmer than I'd prefer when walking in the sun. But I can't complain! But when I go for a bike ride in 70-75 degree sunny weather, I'm definitely warmer than I'd like.
Warmer?
Do you find it odd that I'm not warm at all at 63 F/17C in full sun,
or that I'm only vaugely warm at 72 F/22 C in full sun if there's a breeze?
It's hard for me to feel warmer than I'd like,
because it's rare-ish for me to feel warmth in all body parts.

Imagining life back in Toronto...
In summer, I actually craved the level of warmth I'd get while riding a bike at 70-75 F to stay all day long,
which is sorta how Carolinian summers felt to me; the warmth of excerize, no excersize needed.

Quote:
Not even close to the misery of cycling in TN in the summer, but not ideal, either. And cooling off is MUCH easier here. There's actually a breeze, for one thing. And sweating here actually works! In TN sweating in the summer rarely if ever cooled me down noticeably. It's like the sweat just blended in with the humidity and accomplished nothing. Here when I sweat, there's almost always a cool breeze that quickly cools me down, which is great.
I figured it'd be a big improvement.
After you get over the shock of not having consistant heat in summer,
you might actually like the feeling of a very warm (75-80 F) dry day and a slight thirst increase.

Quote:
Just checked Prince Rupert and I must say that the temperatures look perfect! But, holy cow that's a lot of rain! Not that I mind rain, it just seems like it could become inconvenient to get that much rain every year.
Hard for me to believe Prince Rupert is from the same country I'm from.
I might prefer the hazards of Afghanistan for a better climate, than to live there.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Warmer?
Do you find it odd that I'm not warm at all at 63 F/17C in full sun,
or that I'm only vaugely warm at 72 F/22 C in full sun if there's a breeze?
It's hard for me to feel warmer than I'd like,
because it's rare-ish for me to feel warmth in all body parts.

Imagining life back in Toronto...
In summer, I actually craved the level of warmth I'd get while riding a bike at 70-75 F to stay all day long,
which is sorta how Carolinian summers felt to me; the warmth of excerize, no excersize needed.
At 72F with a breeze, I'm very comfortable in the shade, unless I'm doing strenuous exercise or something. In the sun in the same conditions, I'd feel warm but I'd hesitate to say uncomfortable. Keep in mind I'm talking about my current location. In Tennessee 72F in the sun is different, and I would almost definitely be uncomfortable unless the humidity happened to be uncharacteristically low. When biking in the sun in 70-75F temps, I'm almost certainly covered pretty thoroughly in sweat. Not the drenching, dripping sweat of biking in 95+F weather in TN, but still pretty sweaty. In the shade in the same temperatures I'll still be sweating, but not nearly as much. The sun on my skin makes a huge difference for me, apparently.

Quote:
I figured it'd be a big improvement.
After you get over the shock of not having consistant heat in summer,
you might actually like the feeling of a very warm (75-80 F) dry day and a slight thirst increase.

Hard for me to believe Prince Rupert is from the same country I'm from.
I might prefer the hazards of Afghanistan for a better climate, than to live there.
And I'd rather live in Barrow, Alaska than Afghanistan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather